Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

Just now, yoda said:

Wow... that sounds great and makes me believe that the EPS and Euro OP are good for us when comparing them together

But do you think the op GFS, assuming it holds firm, could be that far off this close to game time.  Maybe just hard to imagine.  I am conditioned to assume the worst snow scenario even if the best one is the best model

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BristowWx said:

But do you think the op GFS, assuming it holds firm, could be that far off this close to game time.  Maybe just hard to imagine.  I am conditioned to assume the worst snow scenario even if the best one is the best model

It's just a 50-75 mile shift from being very similar to what the Euro has. I don't see it as that far off...yet.

1 minute ago, yoda said:

Wow... that sounds great and makes me believe that the EPS and Euro OP are good for us when comparing them together

We all know the NAM likes to amp things up too much beyond 36-48 hours. What the NAM is doing right now is similar to when we get Nam'd when all other guidance shows a southern solution. It gives us hope for 45 minutes before the GFS squashes the idea. Not saying that I'm totally sold on the nice track the euro/eps is showing. It's just that the nam has a pretty long history of being too far NW beyond 48 hours. It does it time and time again. 

The gfs will probably still be NW of the euro if I had to guess but if it ticks or even jumps SE then we are starting to converge. Right now we have the euro/ukie holding hands. Hardly a bad place to be @ 72 hours. It's probably exactly where we want to be. By this time tomorrow all globals should be generally similar with whatever the consensus track is. Because the stripe is narrow and the temps are sketchy, finer details leading all the way to game time can easily make or break our fortunes. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We all know the NAM likes to amp things up too much beyond 36-48 hours. What the NAM is doing right now is similar to when we get Nam'd when all other guidance shows a southern solution. It gives us hope for 45 minutes before the GFS squashes the idea. Not saying that I'm totally sold on the nice track the euro/eps is showing. It's just that the nam has a pretty long history of being too far NW beyond 48 hours. It does it time and time again. 

The gfs will probably still be NW of the euro if I had to guess but if it ticks or even jumps SE then we are starting to converge. Right now we have the euro/ukie holding hands. Hardly a bad place to be @ 72 hours. It's probably exactly where we want to be. By this time tomorrow all globals should be generally similar with whatever the consensus track is. Because the stripe is narrow and the temps are sketchy, finer details leading all the way to game time can easily make or break our fortunes. 

Sage advice for sure

I can't see much chance of this storm shifting south. And as a trailing wave currently losing energy battling the western cordillera, it won't reach the trough with much potential to shift north. Main uncertainty is intensity (as illustrated by GEM not maintaining it). 

I am optimistic about intensity. Therefore early call is 4-7" most regions north of a Richmond to Ocean City line. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

I can't see much chance of this storm shifting south. And as a trailing wave currently losing energy battling the western cordillera, it won't reach the trough with much potential to shift north. Main uncertainty is intensity (as illustrated by GEM not maintaining it). 

I am optimistic about intensity. Therefore early call is 4-7" most regions north of a Richmond to Ocean City line. 

:lol:

4 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

We can hope but I have to wonder how much precip will be wasted on rain.  4-7 assumes all snow north of that line.  Without the cold in place it seems like a tall order south of N. MD

1 hour ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

What is HM talking about....?

"Our new Rapid Update of the ECMWF model shows the snow is backing way off for the Mid-Atlantic Thursday."

lol! That's why I thought there might be a parallel run analysis thrown in somewhere.  Glad to see we're not the crazy ones.

15 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Wow, seriously?  Sweet!

13 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

We can hope but I have to wonder how much precip will be wasted on rain.  4-7 assumes all snow north of that line.  Without the cold in place it seems like a tall order south of N. MD

That might be possible if absolutely everything broke right. Its going to be in the 60s on Wed. Waiting for marginal cold..we have seen this before lol.

If I had to make a general call right now I would go an inch or less DC-BWI and SE, and 1-3 NW, with 4" Mount Manchester.

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Rgem at 48 looks further south and colder then the nam ..fwiw.

This system could work out for us. Some similarities to the late February in 2011. We did well here with about 6 inches. It was a race to get the cold air in but we did win out. Areas not to far to the south struggled. That storm did have a stronger cold push behind opposed to this upcoming one which is more marginal. We are at peak climo so that could help the borderline areas do better.

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Rgem at 48 looks further south and colder then the nam ..fwiw.

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

uhh...then one of us needs glasses.  

my bad.  I misread.  but it is further north and warmer than its 12z run.

apologies.  Carry on. :)

Nut

So... who is right?

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Eh, I guess I'll eat some of my words. Since it's not as amped in front it's a little colder in the mid levels. Track is more similar to the euro so that is good too. It just started off so weak and sheared it looked like crap leading in. 

Looks a bit slower and colder, further south. But weaker. 

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Another good run of the EPS long range imo. Still seems headed towards a better place late feb. held the same look from 0z so weeklies tonight will be interesting. 

Let's hope! (That's why I said...not time to throw in the flag unless we've got nothin' before the end of PD week!) The Almanacs certainly like that period, fwiw...lol

Archived