Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Huge Damaging Nor'easter Obs

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Sleet definitely saved Sugarloaf from tree destruction and power loss. We could not leave Sugarloaf as Maine was under a state of emergency. Going south through Farmington,  Jay etc was a war zone with utter tree destruction and power line damage.

I drove up their via Belgrade lakes the next weekend and the destruction was epic. 

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the 12z Euro continues with the idea of collapsing the 850 mb 0 C isotherm SE this evening as it's mid level gyres work their way on up and more astride of Boston's latitude.  Question is, could there be a kind of back side deform arc working back through the region when that happens? 

the GFS actually has that banded on it's QPF - ... 

34 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

We lost cable but the power never went out. Sugarloaf was closed for most of the storm so I went snowmobiling to Bigelow Lodge. The rental lady gave me a GSM phone in case I got stranded by falling trees. What was interesting was the warm and gusty southerly wind when I hiked to the summit of Sugarloaf with the summit temp at 43F.

34 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

We lost cable but the power never went out. Sugarloaf was closed for most of the storm so I went snowmobiling to Bigelow Lodge. The rental lady gave me a GSM phone in case I got stranded by falling trees. What was interesting was the warm and gusty southerly wind when I hiked to the summit of Sugarloaf with the summit temp at 43F.

That summit temp was evidence of the inversion that led to the ice.  Even more fascinating was the "sandwich" in the MWN Valley, where Gorham at 700' had rain, MWN summit had rain and set a new record high for the month of January (IIRC, same 43 as you saw at the 'Loaf.)  Meanwhile, the forests from about 1,500' to 2,500' were crushed - my first thought upon seeing them while driving thru the Gorham area was, "Wow, WMNF sure made some starkly visible clearcuts last winter!"  Then I realized what had made the "clearcuts."

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

the 12z Euro continues with the idea of collapsing the 850 mb 0 C isotherm SE this evening as it's mid level gyres work their way on up and more astride of Boston's latitude.  Question is, could there be a kind of back side deform arc working back through the region when that happens? 

the GFS actually has that banded on it's QPF - ... 

NAM drops a couple inches of sleet ORH south and west 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'm going to multiply that by at least two later tonight by the looks of that radar, We are far from over

Models really hold or increase that warm nose up here tonight. So I have to think we just get too warm for PL, but what the hell do I know anymore. This storm hasn't followed those rules so far, why start now.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Models really hold or increase that warm nose up here tonight. So I have to think we just get too warm for PL, but what the hell do I know anymore. This storm hasn't followed those rules so far, why start now.

Surface don't seem to be warming to fast as well, So if its not PL it looks like it will be FRZRA which should add to the problems

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That summit temp was evidence of the inversion that led to the ice.  Even more fascinating was the "sandwich" in the MWN Valley, where Gorham at 700' had rain, MWN summit had rain and set a new record high for the month of January (IIRC, same 43 as you saw at the 'Loaf.)  Meanwhile, the forests from about 1,500' to 2,500' were crushed - my first thought upon seeing them while driving thru the Gorham area was, "Wow, WMNF sure made some starkly visible clearcuts last winter!"  Then I realized what had made the "clearcuts."

I know it may sound funny, but I swear I could smell the tropics with the strong southerly flow at the top of Sugarloaf. One thing is for sure is that it was crazy warm for January way north.

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Absolutely wind-whipped rain in Quincy right now...it was sad driving from winter wonderland and watching the white disappear as I headed east this morning....but I'll say that if it's gonna rain, at least it's a good ole fashioned nor' easter. This is pretty impressive wind pulses coming with the rain. I can see the rain falling outside and it looks like pulses of spray moving sideways.

Salem was like that. 

Over in Andover, right on 495, and its the same as my house..inch of slushy sleet.

42 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What a PITA trying to clean up 1" of sleet. 10x the effort and no enjoyment from the storm. 

But, it will last 10x as long.

I agree that it's a PITA but I'll take it.  Something different.

Just under 2.5" here with 2.4" recorded this morning.  The wind was pretty impressive component here.

12 hours ago, Dan said:

Sitting at 29 right now.  Temp dropped from 33 around 9.   All sleet from what I can tell. Probably about an inch on the ground.  Still coming down hard.

Hi Dan,

At my home in Methuen I measured 2 inches of snow by early yesterday afternoon. And close to 2 inches of additional snow and sleet(mostly sleet) overnight. I would have preferred it to be all snow, but all in all a good storm.

Archived