Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

We don't normally get a lead wave like we got today ahead of such a significant snowstorm. It's tough to find a warning level event for 

Norfolk and Cape Cod when NYC also doesn't also get 6 or more. I think if the lead wave today didn't push the baroclinic zone east, then

the the second wave tomorrow would have passed closer to the BM and NYC would have had a shot at 6 or more.

12/26/04 might be an example. I think I remember 2 or 3" in Long Beach from that and much more east.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too be too much a weenie, but looking at the current radar depiction and water vapor loop, my eyes are trying to trick my mind that we are all in for a nice thumping come tomorrow. For me being in western Morris County, I know I will watch this slide by to the east; but my eyes are playing tricks on me right now.

3 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Not too be too much a weenie, but looking at the current radar depiction and water vapor loop, my eyes are trying to trick my mind that we are all in for a nice thumping come tomorrow. For me being in western Morris County, I know I will watch this slide by to the east; but my eyes are playing tricks on me right now.

Sometimes these Gulf systems gain more energy and moisture than models depict and come north and west. That's what happened last January. This won't be the same degree of storm but hopefully can still surprise in a good way. 

1 hour ago, nyblizz44 said:

I wasn't actually referring to meeting official NWS blizzard criteria in both locations, although that does seem possible with this storm. It was more along the lines of 12"+ at both Norfolk and Boston with <6" at Central Park.

21 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, but the MA didn't get in on the act like they are forecast to tomorrow. This looks like a top level event for Norfolk.

Tough to find Norfolk and CC jackpots that don't also give NYC warning level snows.

http://www.weather.gov/media/akq/climateRECORDS/AKQ_Snow_Events.pdf

The closest I could find was the February 23-24, 1989 snowstorm. That brought 9.0" to Norfolk, no snow to NYC, and 6.0" to New Bedford.

1 minute ago, NortheastPAWx said:

On ratios of 15:1, the city probably would flirt with warning criteria. (RGEM)

I still don't understand where people are getting 15:1 ratios from.

That could happen on Long Island which could get into some of the stronger dynamics, but I wouldn't be forecasting that everywhere. 

You have to look at more than just 850 and the surface as well.

Things do look very nice temp wise at 700mb, but looking at the 18z in particular, most of the good RH and VV's remain offshore. 

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I wasn't actually referring to meeting official NWS blizzard criteria in both locations, although that does seem possible with this storm. It was more along the lines of 12"+ at both Norfolk and Boston with <6" at Central Park.

None of Norfolk's seven 12" or greater snowstorms produced such an outcome.

4 minutes ago, danstorm said:

There is indeed precedent for last minute shifts west with big Miller As.  Not saying it's going to happen, but we've been to this dance before.

All we really have right now for higher totals are the mesoscale models, and that always scare me because of the possibility of convective feedback causing higher than actual heights. Sort of how convection over the gulf can increase heights out ahead of system, but taken to the extreme because of the high resolution. 

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The closest I could find was the February 23-24, 1989 snowstorm. That brought 9.0" to Norfolk, no snow to NYC, and 6.0" to New Bedford.

Nearly 2 feet in cape may. Warnings were up for most of the area but we didn't see a flake

Link

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/25/nyregion/cancel-that-er-winter-storm-watch.html

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived