Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

My guess right now would be 1-2" in the city, less than 1" west and north, 2-4" for Nassau and western half of Suffolk and 4-7" eastern half of Suffolk (east of William Floyd Pkwy). 1-2" down I-95 in NJ, 2-4" east of there and 4" or more starting in coastal southern Monmouth and Ocean Counties. I'd really have to see another bump west to go higher than that. 

I think this is an excellent forecast. 

I am telling my friends in western suffolk to expect about 3", which would be terrific. 

5 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

My guess right now would be 1-2" in the city, less than 1" west and north, 2-4" for Nassau and western half of Suffolk and 4-7" eastern half of Suffolk (east of William Floyd Pkwy). 1-2" down I-95 in NJ, 2-4" east of there and 4" or more starting in coastal southern Monmouth and Ocean Counties. I'd really have to see another bump west to go higher than that. 

Sounds pretty good... Those 5-7" amounts if they happen at all will prob be from Riverhead eastward

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

Not anymore but many people thought that was possible

Pattern recognition buddy.

We all get sucked in by nice looking model runs, but the key is knowing when it's likely to correct back since the pattern either supports the solution or it doesn't.

8 minutes ago, mimillman said:

This is a huge hit for SE Mass. This is the reason why Boston averages significantly more snow than New York. Longitude + latitude = snow

It's part longitude there for this storm and part ocean effect for the Cape. The storm has slightly more time to develop for them as well. And just in general, progressive La Niña patterns are better for New England than for south of them. 

8 minutes ago, mimillman said:

This is a huge hit for SE Mass. This is the reason why Boston averages significantly more snow than New York. Longitude + latitude = snow

It's part longitude there for this storm and part ocean effect for the Cape. The storm has slightly more time to develop for them as well. And just in general, progressive La Niña patterns are better for New England than for south of them. 

13 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Just curious if this is your call for the second system or you're just describing what the NAM output is.  And if it's your call, how much of the call are you basing on the NAM vs. other observations and/or model output to date?  

13 hours ago, PB GFI said:

I like 6 from both waves at KNYC.

Out on Orient point.  This is .75 to an inch for him and I working off the premise of 15 to 1 .

- 15 at 850 with deepening LP .The VVs look good and that lift and those mid levels support 15 to 1 

I like the NAM and the RGEM here .

I have ignored the GFS its just chasing convection off OBX 

Same error for 2 decades

For those wondering what PB meant, I asked last night and he was talking 6-12" for NYC to Eastern LI from both storms, combined.  Given that NYC only got 1" or so from storm 1, this prediction will likely be wrong.  He didn't mean 6-12" from the 2nd system, though.  

• BxEngine locked and unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived