Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Seems like a good call to me

I don't understand how people could expect a surface low to make a hard left turn up the coast when you have zero blocking, disjointed jet streams and at best a neutrally tilted southern stream trough. I think certain posters think that the pattern is going to suddenly make a dramatic shift. 

For those that remember the miraculous Boxing Day miracle, the pattern supported a huge storm. It was a ticking time bomb for more than a week at that point.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some minor improvements at H5 on the 12z GFS with the trough going negative tilt quicker. Problem this run is that the Northern stream lags behind even further, so essentially it's acting as a kicker. Just about nothing except for the far East end, and even there, less than a half inch LE even on the forks.

gfs_apcpn_neus_6.png

Based on a combination of the current synoptic pattern, forecast teleconnection indices, and historic climatology, I believe the RGEM probably offers the best insight at present into likely snowfall amounts in and around NYC.

This morning, I took a look at the 43 cases that saw Norfolk pick up 6" or more snow, including the 18 that saw Norfolk receive 8" or more snow. Of the larger set, 63% saw no measurable snow fall in NYC, 70% saw the City pick up less than one inch, while 79% saw the City receive less than 4". The respective percentages for the subset of larger storms was 67%, 83%, and 89%.

So, my thinking at present is that NYC will probably pick up 1"-2" of snow, its northwest suburbs (25 miles or more outside the City) will receive an inch or less. Nassau County will probably pick up 2"-4". Suffolk County will likely see 3"-6" with a few widely scattered 8" amounts possible. The Central and southern Jersey Shore will also likely see 2"-4" amounts (Central) and 3"-6" amounts (Southern).

The 12z RGEM is below:

RGEM0106201712z.jpg

17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Some minor improvements at H5 on the 12z GFS with the trough going negative tilt quicker. Problem this run is that the Northern stream lags behind even further, so essentially it's acting as a kicker. Just about nothing except for the far East end, and even there, less than a half inch LE even on the forks.

gfs_apcpn_neus_6.png

Same old nonsense from you. GFS shows 0.25 LE IMBY, with ratios that is good for 3-4" of snow, which is not "nothing". 

0.10 bisects NYC, which with ratios is 1-2". 

Jersey shore is 0.10 to 0.30, or 1-5" with ratios. 

Just because you arent going to see any snow doesnt mean your analysis has to be terrible. 

Step up your game. 

3 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Same old nonsense from you. GFS shows 0.25 LE IMBY, with ratios that is good for 3-4" of snow, which is not "nothing". 

0.10 bisects NYC, which with ratios is 1-2". 

Jersey shore is 0.10 to 0.30, or 1-5" with ratios. 

Just because you arent going to see any snow doesnt mean your analysis has to be terrible. 

Step up your game. 

Where are you getting those types of ratios from?

Look at where all the good mid-level forcing is, well OTS

gfs_z700_vort_us_6.png

Forecasting requires more than just looking at pretty colors on a weenie snowfall map.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Where are you getting those types of ratios from?

Look at where all the good mid-level forcing is, well OTS

gfs_z700_vort_us_6.png

Forecasting requires more than just looking at pretty colors on a weenie snowfall map.

Let's say you are right, and we are at 10:1 ratios, which we are not (i think we can agree based on thermal profiles), i would still get 2.5". 

That is not nothing sir. The Jersey Shore also sees similar amounts (assuming 10:1) ratios. 

How about this, post a SINGLE model showing zero for anyone other than the extreme east end. 

go.

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Let's say you are right, and we are at 10:1 ratios, which we are not (i think we can agree based on thermal profiles), i would still get 2.5". 

That is not nothing sir. The Jersey Shore also sees similar amounts. 

Thermal profiles are only one piece of the puzzle in determining snow ratios. 

Secondly, I'm on board with a few inches of snow for Eastern Long Island. I am not on board with a major storm for anyone in this sub-forum, including Eastern Long Island, and I've given numerous reasons supported by science to backup my statements.

My guess right now would be 1-2" in the city, less than 1" west and north, 2-4" for Nassau and western half of Suffolk and 4-7" eastern half of Suffolk (east of William Floyd Pkwy). 1-2" down I-95 in NJ, 2-4" east of there and 4" or more starting in coastal southern Monmouth and Ocean Counties. I'd really have to see another bump west to go higher than that. 

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived