Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

2 minutes ago, mimillman said:

This should not be a surprise to anyone. The NAM and SREF were on the extreme western edge of guidance. They are traditionally over-amped and we know this. They should only be used when they are on the eastern edge of guidance as a signal that other models are too amped with their solutions as well.

Also, the GFS was horrendous with last week's New England event and 168 hours ago, this was modeled as a DC to Boston MECS. It is also not great, but better than the NAM at least.

If the 12z suite trends east too, I wouldn't count on anything more than flurries outside of the east end. Sometimes models over trend west/north, and the disturbance is still mostly sheared out and being kicked out by the northern stream. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, nzucker said:

I didn't even make an inch tonight. 

You won't get 5" out of Wave 1, it's dying out fast on radar. I just woke up from sleeping a couple hours, and was like, "Where's the storm? Gone already?" 

If this favorable period only results in a couple 1-3" BS events followed by rain and warmth, count me out on this winter. The unfortunate thing is that we're headed into a warm pattern after Monday so this might be it for a while.

Never said we'd make 5" - said we might get to 3" and we got 2.75", which is pretty close.  We were certainly in the sweet spot last night, which was nice for a change, lol.  Storm definitely underperformed for the Jersey Shore and NYC immediate metro, but was well forecast for most of the rest of NJ and SE PA, as far as I can tell.  

6 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Never said we'd make 5" - said we might get to 3" and we got 2.75", which is pretty close.  We were certainly in the sweet spot last night, which was nice for a change, lol.  Storm definitely underperformed for the Jersey Shore and NYC immediate metro, but was well forecast for most of the rest of NJ and SE PA, as far as I can tell.  

It was generally coating to locally around 3", which was the model consensus for a few days outside of some wacky NAM runs. I was shafted-I saw a half inch maybe. I split between the bands that went over you and eastern LI. 

5 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Hi res Nam ( 4k and 3k ) is coming in much better than the regular Nam

Anthony,

The Pattern doesn't support a big storm close to the coast. Just look at what's going on at 500mb. You can easily see here that the two streams are disjointed, with the Northern stream lagging enough behind to help kick everything East instead of completely phasing in. If we had some blocking to work with, things could have been different. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_7.png

6 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It was generally coating to locally around 3", which was the model consensus for a few days outside of some wacky NAM runs. I was shafted-I saw a half inch maybe. I split between the bands that went over you and eastern LI. 

I'd like to know how wave one overpreformed in the NYC metro! This shows how people view the world through their own perspective. 

Allot of modelology going on in regards to wave two. Anyone officially jumping ship with 24 hours still to go is living and dying by each model run. Storms still on the table for sure

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I'd like to know how wave one overpreformed in the NYC metro! This shows how people view the world through their own perspective. 

Allot of modelology going on in regards to wave two. Anyone officially jumping ship with 24 hours still to go is living and dying by each model run. Storms still on the table for sure

"If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit."

If the pattern doesn't support a big storm close to the coast, then odds are it's not happening. 

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I'll pay attention to the GFS and especially Euro. We need those to start trending west at this stage and delivering for NYC, or I think it's mostly a goner. 

It would be nice to see them jump on board, especially the GFS

Right now, the spots to be are in eastern LI and Cape Cod

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Anthony,

The Pattern doesn't support a big storm close to the coast. Just look at what's going on at 500mb. You can easily see here that the two streams are disjointed, with the Northern stream lagging enough behind to help kick everything East instead of completely phasing in. If we had some blocking to work with, things could have been different. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_7.png

That's the problem

No blocking

Now if we had some, this would have hugged the coast more than what the models are showing

4 minutes ago, SnowBlitzkrieg said:

maybe you should alert the NWS then? they seem to think the pattern supports snow at the coast. 

SnowAmt90Prcntl.png

That's not what the NWS is forecasting. This is what could happen if the models do make a last minute trend west. It's their worst case scenario outcome. What they're forecasting is the most likely map (which I also think they'll cut back if 12z continues the 6z trend). 

27 minutes ago, SnowBlitzkrieg said:

maybe you should alert the NWS then? they seem to think the pattern supports snow at the coast. 

SnowAmt90Prcntl.png

That's the maximum. This is the most likely. Secondly, the Eastern end of LI does have the greatest chance of seeing a warning level event, but that's not where the poster I was responding to lives.

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

23 minutes ago, SnowBlitzkrieg said:

right, but coming in here and saying the pattern doesn't support snow at the coast when the NWS has a map out like that is just plain wrong information. unless he thinks he's smarter than the NWS.

The pattern doesn't support a big snow storm for 99% of the posters in this forum. I realize that you live out in Suffolk County, which happens to have the greatest chance of seeing something significant, but that's still not a lock, and you could easily end up with what you saw today or less. I've given sound scientific reasoning as to why the pattern doesn't support more than a chance at a whiff as the surface low tracks hundreds of miles offshore. 

Just now, Snow88 said:
RGEM is better than the 6z run. The snow shield gets to about west of NYC with moderate snow in NYC with heavy snow in central to eastern LI and then eastern SNE.

2-3 inches for NYC with more towards central to eastern LI

Let's see what the UKIE and GFS do heading into EURO time. Looks like NAM was same LP and track with worse precip yield. RGEM looks like better track with a 998LP about 100 miles east of the BM

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That's the maximum. This is the most likely. Secondly, the Eastern end of LI does have the greatest chance of seeing a warning level event, but that's not where the poster I was responding to lives.

StormTotalSnowWeb.png

Looks like a good call. This has been a E LI storm since the beginning. Hopefully the orient dude can cash in on a warning event. 

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived