Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, brooklynwx99 said:

Nah I don't have access to precip totals. Just 850 mb temps and LP position. :lol: So yeah, I was just saying that the LP position was like the UKMET, if not, a little better.

It sounds as if the EC is a little drier than the UKMET. Euro has about .15" QPF whereas UKMET is 0.3"-0.4". It's a little early to resolve those mesoscale differences. Still would like to see if this can back into the coast a little more.

Just now, nzucker said:

It sounds as if the EC is a little drier than the UKMET. Euro has about .15" QPF whereas UKMET is 0.3"-0.4". It's a little early to resolve those mesoscale differences. Still would like to see if this can back into the coast a little more.

Yeah. ORH in the NE forum said that mid-levels were excellent. If so, then precip will sort itself out. By tomorrow night, mesoscale models will be the way to go.

Sounds like all the models except the GFS are now at least showing a couple of inches for the Philly-NYC corridor and more for the NJ coast and LI.  That's quite a shift from earlier model suites and we're now closer to the event, so the uncertainty is decreasing.  Gotta like this.  Is PB awake?  

2 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Sounds like all the models except the GFS are now at least showing a couple of inches for the Philly-NYC corridor and more for the NJ coast and LI.  That's quite a shift from earlier model suites and we're now closer to the event, so the uncertainty is decreasing.  Gotta like this.  Is PB awake?  

ECM only has like .15" QPF here. People will be rather disappointed if all we get out of this "favorable" period is a couple 1-3" events that melt out with the cutter Wednesday, followed by torch.

We really need to see another move west to make this a significant event. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't spike the football yet.

31 minutes ago, nzucker said:

ECM only has like .15" QPF here. People will be rather disappointed if all we get out of this "favorable" period is a couple 1-3" events that melt out with the cutter Wednesday, followed by torch.

We really need to see another move west to make this a significant event. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't spike the football yet.

I'd be ecstatic with a couple of 2-3" events; have 2" already tonight and could get 3" and another 2-3" would be awesome for Saturday.  And any snow will be around until at least mid-next week, which is nice.  

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

I'd be ecstatic with a couple of 2-3" events; have 2" already tonight and could get 3" and another 2-3" would be awesome for Saturday.  And any snow will be around until at least mid-next week, which is nice.  

I didn't even make an inch tonight. 

You won't get 5" out of Wave 1, it's dying out fast on radar. I just woke up from sleeping a couple hours, and was like, "Where's the storm? Gone already?" 

If this favorable period only results in a couple 1-3" BS events followed by rain and warmth, count me out on this winter. The unfortunate thing is that we're headed into a warm pattern after Monday so this might be it for a while.

Could be just noise, fluctuations are normal. Have to see what the 12z runs bring but no one in the NYC metro should be expecting much more then a few inches of snow at this point with the exception of Long Island. Hoping the 12z runs continue the theme of further north and west to put the rest of the NYC metro into a more substantial snowfall.

I'll watch the trends at 12z but the NYC area really needs the NW trend to continue to the end to be hopeful for more than a few inches. Blue wave pointed out the dry air on the west side of the precip shield, maybe that's a reason for the precip output being paltry. If the models are really edging east again, then there might be little near the city and it becomes a few inches on the east end and more than that only on the Cape. It'll suck if all we have to show for this pattern is a couple of coating to 2" events, but luck sometimes falls the wrong way too. This system is just very strung out and the northern stream isn't cooperating. 

19 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

9z SREF shifted more east

Not good at all

Looks like the models might be trending towards the GFS

GFS has been doing very well lately

This should not be a surprise to anyone. The NAM and SREF were on the extreme western edge of guidance. They are traditionally over-amped and we know this. They should only be used when they are on the eastern edge of guidance as a signal that other models are too amped with their solutions as well.

Also, the GFS was horrendous with last week's New England event and 168 hours ago, this was modeled as a DC to Boston MECS. It is also not great, but better than the NAM at least.

19 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

9z SREF shifted more east

Not good at all

Looks like the models might be trending towards the GFS

GFS has been doing very well lately

..if thats right,i guess my 'winter storm watch' will not turn into a 'winter storm warning'..E trends no bieno..

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived