Newest Member
    CHSVol
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BxWeatherwatcher said:

i think this thing is coming west and not by a bit. the radar echos and satellite loops can confirm how far north and west the whole system is at this point in time compared to models. it might safe to say that model watching might not do us very well in forecasting this storm.

Any meteorological reason you think this storm is coming way west?

3 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

i think this thing is coming west and not by a bit. the radar echos and satellite loops can confirm how far north and west the whole system is at this point in time compared to models. it might safe to say that model watching might not do us very well in forecasting this storm.

Why? This is said EVERY storm.

Just now, Rjay said:

Any meteorological reason you think this storm is coming way west?

weaker 1st wave,baroclinic zone setup is still near the coast and the blocking is overdone. yesterday was a prime example with the first wave,it was pretty north and west compared to most guidance. and it usually snows where it wants to snow lol

Just now, BxWeatherwatcher said:

weaker 1st wave,baroclinic zone setup is still near the coast and the blocking is overdone. yesterday was a prime example with the first wave,it was pretty north and west compared to most guidance. and it usually snows where it wants to snow lol

Ummm. With respect no. Yesterday's storm did not come westate of the forecast. This storm is about many things but perhaps most importantly it's the kicker. The system wasn't so Progressive we would all be doing a massive snow dance right now. We're in better shape than we were in 36 hours ago but all we can hope for in my humble opinion I still hope for a similar small ticks and both the expanse of the precipitation field and movement to both the North and the West

NYC and NE NJ are certainly close enough to more substantial snowfall that continued small shifts north and west are going to make all the difference. Also, I think nowcasting this storm once it gets going is going to be very important and some surprises could certainly be in store with this one. I am currently not expecting more then a few inches for my area but that is subject to change.

Just now, nyblizz44 said:

Nws saying 18 out there. Guessing NAM seem 2 ft. plus again?

I'd probably go 15-20" out there. It'll be amazing late in the day tomorrow. 

Its almost nowcast time and last-second model watching. I think what I guessed before is still good but maybe from the city east it could nudge upward if we see another 20-30 mile tick west. Unfortunately I don't think it matters west of the city. 

1 minute ago, Rtd208 said:

NYC and NE NJ are certainly close enough to more substantial snowfall that continued small shifts north and west are going to make all the difference. Also, I think nowcasting this storm once it gets going is going to be very important and some surprises could certainly be in store with this one. I am currently not expecting more then a few inches for my area but that is subject to change.

Where I am I think 3-4" right now, but hopefully we can sneak 5-6" if the ratios are good and we see another tick west. Generally high end advisory for western LI and warning for eastern LI. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived