Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sferic said:

Does too, too west introduce mixing issues anywhere ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not a very scientific reply..but i can't remember the last time warm air ruined a storm for us...after being so used to it for so many years.  sure i have seen many busts but they have been misses or non-developers.  as long as winds remain north of east i think we are fine.

sidenote: almost every major winter storm here does mix, hard to remember many great ones without sleet, but it doesn't really hurt the outcome in the big ones.

SREF going the wrong way for LGA   6", 4", 4".

WPC has NYC at 40% for at least 4".

Cobb Method NAM moved up to 7" but needs a whopping 20:1 ratio to get there.

Cobb Method GFS  has just 2"-3", but had nothing earlier.   Its' ratio is a high 18:1.

Just now, CIK62 said:

Cobb Method GFS  has just 2"-3", but had nothing earlier.   Its' ratio is a high 18:1.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the SREF. The GFS as mentioned will probably be the last to really catch onto the trend. It's almost time to follow models like the HRRR.

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about the SREF. The GFS as mentioned will probably be the last to really catch onto the trend. It's almost time to follow models like the HRRR.

I disagree. In this time frame, the SREF has most value, particularly seeing how its more amped mesoscale members behave. If it's shifting east, it's important to note. I certainly trust a NAM/SREF combo right now over the RGEM.

Lastly, the HRRR should be used to model very specific areas of banding 1-3 hours out, certainly not at this range.

12 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Wait for the 21z SREFs. I expect them to follow the western trends seen this afternoon. 

13 minutes ago, mimillman said:

I disagree. In this time frame, the SREF has most value, particularly seeing how its more amped mesoscale members behave. If it's shifting east, it's important to note. I certainly trust a NAM/SREF combo right now over the RGEM.

Lastly, the HRRR should be used to model very specific areas of banding 1-3 hours out, certainly not at this range.

The RGEM is killer at this range! It showing what it is showing is a great sign for the area. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

Wow. With ratios that could be 10". Snow growth looks conducive in this for 15-1 ratios. 

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Wow. With ratios that could be 10". Snow growth looks conducive in this for 15-1 ratios. 

My friend, as I indicated that's an educated guess, I didnt take a look. Apoologies for any misunderstanding

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived