Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Not enough confidence for a warning west of nyc

we have been down this road many times before - and it is impossible to be forecast exact amount differences between Queens and Newark - and it still is possible Newark gets higher amounts then Queeens - depends on how the precip sets up and if there is any banding

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SnowBlitzkrieg said:

cant believe Suffolk still doesn't have a WSW yet.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ081&warncounty=NYC103&firewxzone=NYZ081&local_place1=2 Miles SSW Pine Valley NY&product1=Winter+Storm+Warning&lat=40.9045&lon=-72.6796#.WHBa8LGZNAY

There isn't enough confidence to move the WSW westward

the NWS in Philly has upped the advisories a tier to the NW, adding all of the SE PA counties and converting parts of South Jersey from Advisories to Warnings.  They've also updated the map again (pasting the link, as I can't paste the graphic), increasing forecast snowfall again, with the 3" line now within a few miles of the NJ TPK from South Jersey to New Brunswick. A little surprised they didn't add Mercer and Middlesex to the Advisory area, but maybe they'll do that after the full 00Z model suite is done, assuming the rest of the models trend a bit snowier; Mercer and Middlesex are generally listed as 1-3" snowfall (with the high end in the SE parts of each county). Stay tuned.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/... 916 PM:

upgrading ne MD through PHL to an advy. increased POPS through much of the area tomorrow and snow amt map will post with a hasty update prior to 930 cron of products. Not much more to say except that multi models with .15" PHL area and dry snow water ratios will result in lots of fluff... sharp cut off somewhere vcnty MQS- FWN. cud see isolated 4-5" back to I95. 

http://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I kind of agree with the tight gradient idea. This is running into really dry air, and the dynamics will probably be focused near the coast. I think it goes from 1" to 5 or 6" in 30-40 miles. These models like the NAM and RGEM aren't shifting east as much as they're tightening the gradient. 

Thats not much of a tight gradient.. Ive seen 12" differences in 15 miles here the last few yrs. Just like yr there was a 18" difference in 20 miles. Now thats a tight gradient lol

Just now, jm1220 said:

I guess it's relative. This won't be a monster with a comma head dropping 3" an hour either. 

Yeah I hear ya but a 4" difference in 30-40 miles is more gradual than tight. I personally think this is a 1" event for us here in the interior with 2-4" for NYC w/ upwards of 8-10" out toward the east end of LI.

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I kind of agree with the tight gradient idea. This is running into really dry air, and the dynamics will probably be focused near the coast. I think it goes from 1" to 5 or 6" in 30-40 miles. These models like the NAM and RGEM aren't shifting east as much as they're tightening the gradient. 

Exactly what we were getting at earlier with where banding sets up. I'm really thinking that western heavy band is a really great place to be. Exactly where it sets up is yet to be seen. But on the western side you fight dry air and have a lack of precip on the eastern side you have subsidence isssues. That area running SSW to NNE east in our area comes in with warning level amounts. Well further east out twords eastern Long Island and eastern NE your in the main precip sheild and banding will not matter as much and amounts should be more uniform. We have seen this scenario in countless past storms. I don't think we see a true deform band in this area like during some of the greats as this storm just doesn't have the dynamics. But as always there will be winners and losers. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived