Newest Member
    joxey
Wave 2, 1/7-8/17 Discussion/OBS

Rjay

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, F5TornadoF5 said:

11z hrrr reflects nws forecast very well.

Well that is certainly an uptick since only an hour ago... I feel pretty confident in 2-5 inches across the NYC area including the Westchester counties. North of Rockland doesn't look to good at this point 1-2 range.

I know this isn't the vendor thread and I can't find it but they had 3-6 inches for NYC area within 25-30 miles then 6+ central LI out. 

it is said that when temps are too cold regardless of the humidity and dp it can still snow pretty fast. same theory applies in the artic. very cold dry air and extremely frozen flakes don't melt even when falling creating snowfall in a dry airmass. we shall put this theory to task currently and see how long it takes before it snows with single digit dewpoints.

13 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

radar really starting to go now.also the eastward movement is starting to slow down a bit and a more northerly component is now visible. it's going to be snowing in the teens!!

Yea last few frames def show this.  Will be nice to have no mixing issues down by the coast for a change.

19 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

it is said that when temps are too cold regardless of the humidity and dp it can still snow pretty fast. same theory applies in the artic. very cold dry air and extremely frozen flakes don't melt even when falling creating snowfall in a dry airmass. we shall put this theory to task currently and see how long it takes before it snows with single digit dewpoints.

It started out here in Berks Pa. at a DP of 9F Temp@20F snowing Moderate at the moment

2 minutes ago, tim said:

..whats your call for us,ELI?..any concerns?

radar seems to be stuck in neutral in its progression N bound..alot of dry air to overcome.

6-10" of fluff doesn't seem unreasonable attm for our area out here. Maybe a 12 spot out towards MTP. I recall most modeling start time between 12z and 18z, so we're not behind schedule or anything yet I don't think. The good stuff is supposed to arrive in the afternoon. Have to see how it goes though.

A few flurries in Long Beach.

Good luck all-a decent to significant event still looks likely for most of us. Hopefully the new HRRR is right and we see the snow head more north than east from here. It's really just time to watch the radar and nowcast. 

Here's my final guess:

Central Park: 3.5"

JFK: 5.3"

ISP: 7.5"

MTP: 8.8"

EWR: 3.2"

BLM: 5.8"

FRG: 6.4"

HPN: 2.4"

MMU: 0.7"

SWF: 0.5"

My backyard: 6.0"