Total Members
    Most Online
    GCWarrior
    Newest Member
    GCWarrior
MN Transplant

1/5/17 to 1/8/17 Obs Thread

14 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

Snow finally has picked. Road and driveway is white.  Living on the edge is a pain.

I am watching Calvert closely and trying to decide whether to invite myself to my parents' to watch playoffs LOL.  They are about 4 miles south of Dunkirk.

looking at RAP/HRRR/12z 4k NAM, I think it is too early to totally give up for DC.  The 2-3"+ totals seem unlikely, but we might be able to still eke out an inch.  All 3 models are showing a pivot later...

looking at RAP/HRRR/12z 4k NAM, I think it is too early to totally give up for DC.  The 2-3"+ totals seem unlikely, but we might be able to still eke out an inch.  All 3 models are showing a pivot later...

Thoughts on the precip down in SW VA?

Just now, Deck Pic said:

Yup.  Im gonna say 1-2".  We got fringed but not shutout.  Still some lift left.

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Your FB namesake BristowWx association just said 2-4"

I am not associated with them.  No tolerance for any local weather crap outside this board.  Because of crap forecasts like that.  

The NWS app's radar is pretty good IMO. Anyone else use it? Looks like our band while still moving slowly, has deteriorated a little on the left side. Would really love to see that energy in the SW help our band, which is to say our storm, out. The band also appears to be developing into two distinct areas of better organization. Here in Dupont, I of course am between these areas and report a steady flurry situation going on.

perfect winter: 2-weeks cold/snow, 1-week warm/dry, 2-weeks cold/snow, 2-weeks warm/dry, a classic Nor'easter and very cold and picturesque week, then 2-weeks warm and outdoorsy, sunny and quite dry... (etc etc)

3 minutes ago, usedtobe said:

SNowy pretty well here.  The NAM and high res NAM still give me 3 or 4 inches. I'd settle for 3 and will hope for 4. 

If there's anyone I hope gets into the good stuff besides me, it's our good man Wes!

Screw the rest of you. :lol:

FWIW, Sref mean is still just above 3 inches. Everything is tightening now though. Everything is between a coating and 5 inches. It looks like most is between a coating to 2 and then another cluster between 3 and 4-5.

12 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Snowing pretty steadily in the AA county band. Flake size has really increased as the band set in. Literally 5 miles west of me is nothing on radar hardly. Interesting day to say the least.

I'm 1 mile from the AA county line and I have fairy dust coming down. Just about nothing.

The nice band I have been sitting under looks like it's on the move again. As soon as it moves out, I'm done for I think. Germantown is already coming out of it.

Hopefully its just a nudge and not a legit trend for me, but then again, for all you DC folks, it would be good for you :) This band is a producer.

1 minute ago, Deck Pic said:

Finally DC is about to fill in...so painful

24/13, -SN

Yep. The worst. I'm not particularly worried yet. It seems the radar and model trend towards crap has ceased for now. 

4 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Finally DC is about to fill in...so painful

24/13, -SN

Yep... finally. -SN here now... flake size has increased and almost SN.

23/12

2 minutes ago, IUsedToHateCold said:

I'm 1 mile from the AA county line and I have fairy dust coming down. Just about nothing.

Crazy. I've got a solid dusting and steady light snow. I have a feeling today is going to come down to where you are. A few miles could make the difference.