Welcome to American Weather
  • Announcements

• Wow

SUBSCRIPTION DRIVE 2017   01/09/2017

As you may have noticed, many of you are receiving renewal notices for subscriptions.  Over the past year we have upgraded our board software and one of our dedicated servers to help speed things up.  Plans for this year are to upgrade further to make everything even faster and more reliable. If we meet our goal of $10,000 in subscription sales this winter, all members with a Super ($50) subscription or higher will receive a free American Weather T-shirt.  Additional details will follow if we make our goal!
H2O

January Obs and Disco

219 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

22/2 WC 12

Mattie G anger meter at an 8.

I feel like we should be at at a 5 despair.  We are probably looking at punting 2  weeks of primo climo.  That's less than good.  I'm at an 11.  No suprise there.

Just now, BristowWx said:

I feel like we should be at at a 5 despair.  We are probably looking at punting 2  weeks of primo climo.  That's less than good.  I'm at an 11.  No suprise there.

It's almost certain to go up soon. But, a lot of us have snow cover and daytime temperatures below freezing. The panic is low for most...even if it's just for a day. 

4 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It's almost certain to go up soon. But, a lot of us have snow cover and daytime temperatures below freezing. The panic is low for most...even if it's just for a day

This

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It's almost certain to go up soon. But, a lot of us have snow cover and daytime temperatures below freezing. The panic is low for most...even if it's just for a day. 

I can live with that.  I am right at 20.  It's nice and I am making a prime rib.  Drinking Bookers.  But the prospect of not having much to track for three weeks is less than perfect.

meanwhile gotta gloat since past 2 winters have been blah at best, 2 years ago was record warmth and record low snow.. not this year,  historic PNW winter continues... 59" at my home past 34 days .. and a big snowstorm expected Tuesday and Wednesday unlikely to see the ground again for a long time.. photo of my back yard yesterday.. had another 6" after I took that photo... remember patterns are different every year and of course you can always take a ski vacation ... ;) 

Back yard.jpg

Back in WV after a beautiful weekend at the beach.  High here today of 21 is the coldest high temp since 2/20/2015.  Missing the sand and surf already.

IMG_0625.JPG

18 minutes ago, snownut said:

meanwhile gotta gloat since past 2 winters have been blah at best, 2 years ago was record warmth and record low snow.. not this year,  historic PNW winter continues... 59" at my home past 34 days .. and a big snowstorm expected Tuesday and Wednesday unlikely to see the ground again for a long time.. photo of my back yard yesterday.. had another 6" after I took that photo... remember patterns are different every year and of course you can always take a ski vacation ... ;) 

Back yard.jpg

I'm coming to your house. 

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

High was 22 today after a low of 12 this morning. Be interesting to see how low it can get tonight with a healthy snowpack.

With this 1040 high sliding over us and if winds can slack it will get real cold 

pmsl.gif

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

With this 1040 high sliding over us and if winds can slack it will get real cold 

pmsl.gif

That would do it. Get the wind to slacken with clear skies and might get close to zero. Wind likely wont completely die down though so probably 6-8 for a low here.

24 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

That would do it. Get the wind to slacken with clear skies and might get close to zero. Wind likely wont completely die down though so probably 6-8 for a low here.

Would not be surprised if it gets a bit lower here.  18/1 now and the DP keeps dropping.  Didn't get above 20 here also today and the 20 we did have occurred at 2pm before temps started dropping again.  Nice and crisp outside now.  Combination of limited snow cover (here it's limited - others got far more) and frozen ground has that nice crunch sound to it.  Will be interesting if there's some school delays in the AM just due to just the cold... 

6 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

22/2 WC 12

Mattie G anger meter at an 8.

16°. Cold.

A little bit of anger, but I'm good. More cranky tired than anything! :lol:

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

No real drop overnight here.  Actually at the high for the day right now.  Low was 13.2

Same happened here. Low of 11 - temp has crept up a degree in the last hour.

Lots of sub-zero readings across southern Virginia also.  A beefy 1042 high over snow cover.  Don't see readings approaching 30.80" around here very often.  12 degrees in my snowless yard this morning.

26 minutes ago, GramaxRefugee said:

NWS seems to claim Salisbury hit 0 this morning...Big outlier for the LWX area

temp09.JPG

ETA:   Huh...checking around the shore....Millville at minus 4 ....-4f

Totally believable given there is over 10" of snow in those areas, clear skies, almost no wind.

7 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Why is it so much colder down around Richmond this morning than up here?

snowcover

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Totally believable given there is over 10" of snow in those areas, clear skies, almost no wind.

-2 at my parents place near there for the low this morning. That's ridiculous near the beach. Pretty rare.