• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews

2017 Banter Thread #1

On December 8, 2017 at 8:12 AM, kvegas-wx said:

99.9% of the time it probably makes sense for you not to report in the SE forum.  But for today you are one of us!!  Thanks for the obs and post.  Happy for your white pre-christmas along the gulf coast!

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words, and I hope you at least got to enjoy something wintry in your neck of the woods! This was a historic event for MBY, second only in accumulation to 12/11/08 and probably my personal favorite of all time. We ended up with 6" on the ground, even after losing at least 2" to warm ground temps and compaction. I loved every minute of it.

Very happy for all the MS, AL, and N GA folks who scored as well. Even the FL panhandle got a piece of the action, which is beyond amazing.  It looks like this was a bit of a disappointment for the Carolinas (at least outside of the mountains), but I'm hopeful the pattern will reload and produce for you guys later in the winter. I know a lot of those areas are due. 

You're absolutely right that (weather-wise) this is a whole different area from the upper SE, so I understand why LA doesn't "belong" anymore. It's just a bit painful to be so close to MS, still part of the SE crew, but technically share a forum with North Dakota and California instead. We have even less in common, LOL. But I totally get that there's a dearth of forum members within much of the interior and Deep South, and from the moderators' and administrators' perspective, it's smart to combine areas with fewer active posters in order to conserve resources. I just can't seem to stop lurking here because the disco is consistently high-quality and it still feels like "home", even if that's more of an emotional distinction than a logical one. :-) I would love to think that there would eventually be enough interest and participation to support a Gulf Coast forum, since that would probably be a more fitting place for a lot of us who are currently on the fringe of the SE or Western States forums. Maybe someday!

• Like 1

I go to Michigan to visit my parents for two weeks on the 16th.

True to form, looks like they will get a nice warm-up to greet me. Last two years I have been there a combined six weeks, and have seen a total of 2 inches of snow in the heart of winter.

On 12/8/2017 at 4:54 PM, frazdaddy said:

Life"s good on the farm. A Lot has changed since you were there. We've been in remodel mode and every structure has had some work. I finally built my shop and doubled the size of the Koi pond ect... When are you coming back to the States?

Working on a project that may put me back in the states a lot now but looking like April or so. Was down in September for a holiday but my father passed away so spent my time with family.  In April though I was planning a trip out west. I'll shoot you a PM. 

• Like 1

For anyone interested. Yesterday in Amsterdam we had around 2 inches on  the ground. It snowed heavily for around 4 hours and was probably around an inch an hour but due to it hovering around 33/34 as soon as it'd pile up it'd melt. Due to the proximity to the sea it doesn't get extremely cold here. Made for some beautiful scenery though. We're expecting 3-5 inches this afternoon which should make for a fun bike ride home from work. It doesn't snow a lot here so usually things shut down even if an inch or two falls. Here are some pics I took while out for a walk in the park. 

gjovlvw.png

1gcThqs.png

eER2FyZ.jpg

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Hope y'all remember the early December, cause it ain't looking good now in the long range! :(

I dunno who is worse.  You or brick!? Jeez give it a rest.  You live in the south.  

• Like 1

Here are a few of my pictures from my trip this weekend. Started in Elizabeth City, drove to Crabtree Valley to look at and then buy a used 1993 Land Cruiser, left there for Roanoke Rapids for lunch, then went up I95 to Richmond and then over I64 to the Premium Outlets in Williamsburg, VA. Left home at 7 am (daughter had drivers Ed and her mother picked her up afterwards) and didn't get home.e until almost 10pm.

This is the Premium Outlets in Williamsburg, VA about 5:30. The flakes were as big as quarters and fifty cents pieces. It snowed for me all the way back to just north of South Mills, NC in northern Camden County on NC HWY 17. I had snow from about 130 in the afternoon until about 930 while on my road trip.

My mother in law just got in the night before from Dublin, Ireland. She hadn't seen snow in almost three years. Wouldn't you know it, but Sunday, Dublin got it's first measurable snowfall in seven years and she wasn't there to see it.

20171211_092612.jpg

• Like 2

Seems to be the new norm in the Carolinas that I 85 is the cut off line, south of I 85 you are not going to do well in winter storms, north of it, you are going to do fine. 

You can almost draw I 85 on this map from the folks at GSP NWS

Dec 10 2017 GSP snowfall.JPG

Dec 11 2017 Snowfall satellite.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Avdave said:

Seems to be the new norm in the Carolinas that I 85 is the cut off line, south of I 85 you are not going to do well in winter storms, north of it, you are going to do fine. 

Look you can see my house in the upstate right where the white line stops 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avdave said:

New norm?

Shoot. I-85 has been the cut off line since the end of the last ice age.

I wish this was the new norm. Otherwise my childhood memories would have been a lot snowier.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Avdave said:

you can blame me.  When I lived in raleigh and Durham, Charlotte got multiple snows that surpassed ours.  I've moved down to just south of charlotte and we haven't gotten jack squat in 5 years.

10 hours ago, JoshWeather said:

you can blame me.  When I lived in raleigh and Durham, Charlotte got multiple snows that surpassed ours.  I've moved down to just south of charlotte and we haven't gotten jack squat in 5 years.

Charlotte did well in 2014. 

1 hour ago, Queencitywx said:

Charlotte did well in 2014. 

not just south of charlotte.  I got like an inch.  Seems like any storm thats been worth anything in the last 5 years or so has been around huntersville and north.

20 hours ago, Avdave said:

It does seem that way. The 70's and 80's were good to us in Wake Co.

• Like 1

Mystery of why hot water freezes faster than cold is solved - and it's all down to the strange behaviour of atom bonds

• The Mpemba effect, named after Tanzanian student Erasto Mpemba, is the theory that warmer water can freeze faster than colder water
  • Research by Nanyang Technological University in Singapore has revealed the bonds that hold water molecules together cause the effect
  • Scientists have been trying to explain why water behaves in the strange way it does since ancient times

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2483383/Mystery-hot-water-freezes-faster-cold-solved--strange-behaviour-atom-bonds.html

On 12/11/2017 at 1:12 AM, burgertime said:

For anyone interested. Yesterday in Amsterdam we had around 2 inches on  the ground. It snowed heavily for around 4 hours and was probably around an inch an hour but due to it hovering around 33/34 as soon as it'd pile up it'd melt. Due to the proximity to the sea it doesn't get extremely cold here. Made for some beautiful scenery though. We're expecting 3-5 inches this afternoon which should make for a fun bike ride home from work. It doesn't snow a lot here so usually things shut down even if an inch or two falls. Here are some pics I took while out for a walk in the park. 

That's awesome, Burger!  Great to hear from you and glad to hear things are going well.  Merry Christmas to you!

On 12/11/2017 at 11:48 PM, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

New norm?

Shoot. I-85 has been the cut off line since the end of the last ice age.

I wish this was the new norm. Otherwise my childhood memories would have been a lot snowier.

I laughed at this.  Honestly though the truth.  Roxboro NC pretty rocky too.  When I lived in NC I had some big boulders on my property.  Had 1 huge one in the front.  But many moons ago they were pushed there by a glacier. Now it's like you can't buy a first flake. 

12 hours ago, FLweather said:

I laughed at this.  Honestly though the truth.  Roxboro NC pretty rocky too.  When I lived in NC I had some big boulders on my property.  Had 1 huge one in the front.  But many moons ago they were pushed there by a glacier. Now it's like you can't buy a first flake. 

I once read that I-85 was mostly preceded by a trail used by native americans from SC all the way up to VA for trade purposes. Mostly because a trail following that path would be about the same elevation.

Elevation???

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

The GFS right now is making me think of Michael Scott talking about vasectomies in the Dinner Party episode:

SNIP-SNAP SNIP-SNAP SNIP-SNAP

I'm so stoked! Heading to New Hampshire with my wife in the morning for a week to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. Fortunately, they got over a foot of snow this past week. We have XC skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling planned. Cold weather vacation, here we come!

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

• Like 1