joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I'll always take my chance with colder air and less QPF. 

amen to that. 

4 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

True...LOL.

I've got some wiggle room up here.  I've go room for a south trend and a north trend and stay safe.  Ha.

amen to this too lol. nice to have a little breathing room as far as temps go. 

3 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Northern CAE area....mby still looks icy from these crappy maps on my phone :( 

it looks like mostly snow to me for columbia. maybe some sleet for a brief time but otherwise columbia looks pretty good too....south side sees more sleet with freezing rain confined to the coastal plain. 

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

amen to that. 

amen to this too lol. nice to have a little breathing room as far as temps go. 

it looks like mostly snow to me for columbia. maybe some sleet for a brief time but otherwise columbia looks pretty good too....south side sees more sleet with freezing rain confined to the coastal plain. 

Thanks sir :wub:  I'm preparing for my 32.7 deg rain now :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Pretty huge step towards the EURO, as Matthew pointed out. Lots of stream interaction this time. This time tomorrow we'll just be praying for the SLP to be north of Jacksonville. :lol: 

Showed up early in the run.  0z NAM will be the first indication of further movement to the Euro.

3 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Pretty huge step towards the EURO, as Matthew pointed out. Lots of stream interaction this time. This time tomorrow we'll just be praying for the SLP to be north of Jacksonville. :lol: 

Yeah, this actually worries me some. I hope this change doesn't turn into a trend. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the next model suite does, as always. 

3 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

Not liking these trends for western and northern  NC. A definite step to the Euro. If the ensembles take a step to the Euro it may be cave time for the gfs at 00z

wouldn't surprise me a bit, seems we get a little excited then down but things are going to change over the next few days, better for some and worse for others.  wouldn't want to be in the bulls eye right now, maybe about Thursday would be a good time to be in the bulls eye.

7 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Thanks sir :wub:  I'm preparing for my 32.7 deg rain now :lol: 

:axe: ...lol i know reverse psychology when i see it :P 

Would be nice if the end result ended up being this more "middle of the road" solution between the the 12z gfs and 12z euro. The good news is even if the euro ends up being right and totals aren't high, it looks like flakes will fly for a lot of us in ga/sc/southern nc regardless at some point. 

1 minute ago, deltadog03 said:

To me, this run is much more realistic....I have said before, a good euro and 12z GFS  blend would do the trick and more likely...I would say the 18z GFS is pretty close to that.

Yeah, if that was a step to the Euro, and the Euro comes a step to the GFS which is still showing a big storm, then not sure what is bad about that.

6 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah it cut our totals pretty good. 

I knew our totals would be cut down but not that much. Just not having a good feeling about this one in the northern mountains. I feel weird wishing for a NW trend right now. That is not in our DNA here in the south. But I'll be keeping a close eye on the ensembles this evening to see if they take on more of a Euro look. 

4 minutes ago, Lookout said:

:axe: ...lol i know reverse psychology when i see it :P 

Would be nice if the end result ended up being this more "middle of the road" solution between the the 12z gfs and 12z euro. The good news is even if the euro ends up being right and totals aren't high, it looks like flakes will fly for a lot of us in ga/sc/southern nc regardless at some point. 

Euro was giving me 2-4 I believe so if it juices up just a tad and moves toward the GFS even a little I'm still good. Even if the GFS moves to the euro I should still see a few flakes flying and a couple of inches.

I have in-laws driving down from philly and Delaware next weekend to attend my sons first B-day party. Could be a rough ride down here for them.

2 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

I knew our totals would be cut down but not that much. Just not having a good feeling about this one in the northern mountains. I feel weird wishing for a NW trend right now. That is not in our DNA here in the south. But I'll be keeping a close eye on the ensembles this evening to see if they take on more of a Euro look. 

Yeah its pretty significant but I'm sure there will be lots more back and forth unless the Euro just busts everyone else.

Just now, BornAgain13 said:

I dont see how this is a trend towards the Euro. It just didnt dig as deep this time. 18Z GFS looks very reasonable to me

The lean toward the Euro was seen in the interaction between the vort max and the northern branch in my opinion. 

GFS wasn't that far off the UK, past few runs that trough digging down has slowed thus getting more interaction.  Last night 0z had almost none and we have ticked SE since.  

It was evident at 48-54 hours it was getting left behind.  Would think we will see model agreement at 0z tonight.

IMG_3861.PNG

2 minutes ago, msuwx said:

The lean toward the Euro was seen in the interaction between the vort max and the northern branch in my opinion. 

Agree, and was evident within the first 48 hrs of the run.  Not saying we're ending up like the Euro but it took a small step or two.

Atlanta hasn't had this kind of fantasy snow show up for multiple runs in what seems like years.  This one is starting to drag me in even down here.  A winter storm is coming just a matter of who gets hit and who doesn't st this point.  Love the possibilities,  it's what make this hobby so awesome IMO. 

Archived