joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Meh ... I've seen better

Seen better? LMAO dude you dont get that much better at a 9-10 day lead. That is somewhat unprecedented. Both GEFS, Euro OP and EPS support it big time. You start getting into 3'' means that far out it is a doozy, even if it isnt for your area particularly. Your my boy mackerel but cmon!! :) 

15 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Seen better? LMAO dude you dont get that much better at a 9-10 day lead. That is somewhat unprecedented. Both GEFS, Euro OP and EPS support it big time. You start getting into 3'' means that far out it is a doozy, even if it isnt for your area particularly. Your my boy mackerel but cmon!! :) 

It's all relative I guess! If I'm on the NC/VA border and had a 2-4" mean, id be giddy too. Sitting at the 1/2 mean, not quite as excited, with overall cold looking less severe

13 minutes ago, packbacker said:

The Feb/14 comparison is close....day 9 modeled AO block looks good.

Dh9c2yX.png

Yep, this seems eerily familiar to that storm.  -EPO driven with little blocking, Miller A/B Hybrid with strong CAD....a big sleet fest too though along with the snow.  If I remember correctly most of the snow came from a nice deformation band the next morning. 

11 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

^ That's a good look.  Pattern supports strong high pressure generation.

2014 was cold.  I think it was in the mid to upper 20s CAD throughout the event, but we still sleeted IIRC. 

4 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Yep, this seems eerily familiar to that storm.  -EPO driven with little blocking, Miller A/B Hybrid with strong CAD....a big sleet fest too though along with the snow.  If I remember correctly most of the snow came from a nice deformation band the next morning. 

2014 was cold.  I think it was in the mid to upper 20s CAD throughout the event, but we still sleeted IIRC. 

It was the ULL, and most of us had sleet because the snow growth region took a half day.

2 minutes ago, griteater said:

18z GFS is a big cutter. Biggest thing that stands out to me is that the initial height suppression and associated cold temperatures into the southeast have weakend significantly. Euro gets the deep diver later in the run, but I'm a skeptic

What you thinking Grit, can we toss this as a garbage run or expect more like this?

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

18z GFS is a big cutter. Biggest thing that stands out to me is that the initial height suppression and associated cold temperatures into the southeast have weakend significantly. Euro gets the deep diver later in the run, but I'm a skeptic

Great! That was fun! Next

I would forget about individual runs and look at the trends with the ensembles.  If the trends are to weaken highs and shift the height fields north as we close in, that is a BIG concern.  If not, we’re good, as long as our expectations are reasonable, ie not expecting 1070 mb highs in Kansas and flash freezing in the Everglades.

4 minutes ago, Wow said:

All comes down to holding confluence over the NE. That'll hold in the HP and force the southern wave to dig southeast.

The wgpi index has been negative on this threat window recently (wow and grit posting index) that's another sign that this timeframe is not quite there yet.

Need that riging over greenland to stay stronger, need the pv to keep getting pushed southeast. If it goes the other way we get a cutter and warmer temps. Today's trends actually were in the wrong direction so far. 

There are a lot of misinformed posts I’ve seen throughout the day on here, “it’s on to the next one” “next” “my backyard only gets 1” on the clown maps”. Folks, cmon! I haven’t been able to look at the OP 18z gfs run but the 12z was laughable. The low literally pile drives into a 1046 HP like it’s nothing. That is just straight silly. If it were 2-3 day lead ahead of the storm, the cad would be incredible, as the HP was in good condition up around Montreal to funnel some serious cold. It is a great prospect when both the GEFS, EURO OP and its EPS are in general agreeance with one another. Everyone relax and watch how that HP does it’s work down the line, so long as confluence behaves, etc.. we got this! 

29 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Need that ridging over greenland to stay stronger, need the pv to keep getting pushed southeast. If it goes the other way we get a cutter and warmer temps. Today's trends actually were in the wrong direction so far. 

You stated it better than I did niner.  The gfs and euro ensembles have actually been trending colder, but there was a pull back today.  Not major, but we aren't in the land were you can afford pullbacks.

Looking at the 18z GFS Ens members, my rough count:

1st storm after Dec 25 front: 13 mostly rainy, 5 wintry

2nd storm after Dec 25 front: 11 mostly rainy, 4 wintry 

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

You stated it better than I did niner.  The gfs and euro ensembles have actually been trending colder, but there was a pull back today.  Not major, but we aren't in the land were you can afford pullbacks.

Looking at the 18z GFS Ens members, my rough count:

1st storm after Dec 25 front: 13 mostly rainy, 5 wintry

2nd storm after Dec 25 front: 11 mostly rainy, 4 wintry 

18z GFS = dumpster fire/ blip

Its all about the Canadian and 0z GFS! Suck in that new data! ;)

1 minute ago, SnowNiner said:

That is a nice mean....come on, I'm starting to get reeled in on this. I'm a hopeless sucker. Somebody talk some sense into me!

There is so much potential to this you can’t help but get suckered in. Need a lot to happen with the PV and subsequent confluence to keep the HP parked but with that said amazing similarities and agreement right now with the GEFS and EPS this far in advance. Great storm signal.

Archived