Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

It doesn't hold though, lifts off for a nice cold push then Pacific ridge rebuilds. The pattern defaults to La Nina.

All I've been hearing since summer was La Niña, La Niña, La Niña. It hasn't acted like it at all yet! So enjoy all the non Niña weather we are having!

2 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

I completely agree.  Been on that train for a couple of weeks.  This feels like one of the best windows for a widespread southeast winter storm that we’ve had in a couple of winters.

It's nice to have you on the optimistic train this time CR.  The last couple of years even with legit threats, you've seemed pretty skeptical.  For your back yard though, that skepticism has proved accurate! Now that you're on board, I definitely need to pay attention! :snowing:

5 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

It's nice to have you on the optimistic train this time CR.  The last couple of years even with legit threats, you've seemed pretty skeptical.  For your back yard though, that skepticism has proved accurate! Now that you're on board, I definitely need to pay attention! :snowing:

Yeah man, I like the development of snow cover to the north, the cold air at least nearby, the depiction of decent high pressure zones, and the depiction of various storm systems nearby.  What more can we realistically ask for these days? :)

10 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

It doesn't hold though, lifts off for a nice cold push, Pacific ridge rebuilds. The pattern defaults to La Nina.

Yep...my guess is it won't hold, the GEFS has backed off this the past couple of runs.  Models have been to block happy at this range, to bad because it's close to being something good.  For your area this looks really good, even with a weaker block.

Christmas Eve/Day. So, you wanna be a weather forecaster?

The GFS is quicker and further south with this shortwave while the
EC is slower and further north. The uncertainty in the frontal
position is easily highlighted by the EC ensemble statistical
guidance for high temperatures at RDU on Sunday which have a
standard deviation of 7. The warmest ensemble member has a high of
74, the coolest 47, with a mean of 61 and the operational giving a
high of 59. Yikes! 

4 minutes ago, Solak said:

high of 59. Yikes! 

that is a pretty big difference considering that is just 5 days away, normally being that close there is a so-so agreement between the models.

12 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah man, I like the development of snow cover to the north, the cold air at least nearby, the depiction of decent high pressure zones, and the depiction of various storm systems nearby.  What more can we realistically ask for these days? :)

Yep, generally looks good.  I'd love though to have some legit blocking or an active STJ to keep the storms suppressed.  My concern is the real possibility of cutters and at best Miller Bs.  Even in fantasy that's all we're seeing so far. I can see us striking out on cutters and Miller Bs not being cold enough if our CAD is not entrenched.  Dunno.  I'm just going to wait and see.  

7 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Yep, generally looks good.  I'd love though to have some legit blocking or an active STJ to keep the storms suppressed.  My concern is the real possibility of cutters and at best Miller Bs.  Even in fantasy that's all we're seeing so far. I can see us striking out on cutters and Miller Bs not being cold enough if our CAD is not entrenched.  Dunno.  I'm just going to wait and see.  

Yeah, I think it’s def a Miller B pattern.

1 hour ago, shahroz98 said:

How do you look at the GEFS ensemble members like that ? Do you go through the runs one by one ?

IMO the free College of Dupage interface is better at viewing the GFS Ens members than the WxBell one

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/ > GEFS tab (at top) > Precipitation Products (on left) > Ensemble Prec Type

There were a good bit more rainy cutters on the 06z members compared to 00z

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

CPC day 8 analog from the 0z GFS is like who's who in SE snow storms.

500hgt_comp_00gfs610.gif

The problem here is that the actual GFS runs don't have the Greenland ridging like the analog matches do.  The analog composite there is a better pattern than on the model runs.

46 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Been a long time since we had a winter storm with the PV shifted over into Newf/Lab with a strong NPac ridge nosing into Greenland.  Thats 2 of the 3 biggest things we need for a big SE winter event.  That PV low does lift out quicker then I would like though, if that can hold through day 10 then I like our chances better, otherwise this will be warm rain for us followed by more cold.

It's opposite of the last storm.  We need a system to kick out quicker than currently modeled, into the cold air, whereas last storm we needed the system to slow down to allow time for the cold to establish itself. 

12z NAM is right on track with the 6z GFS in bringing the front through late on the 23rd to early 24th. As I said before, I'm focusing on the shorter/medium range in hope of a cold Christmas Eve and Day. Interested in what the CMC says today. It has not wavered on its idea of a slower frontal passage; hence warm Christmas Eve and Christmas day that starts to cool down.  

1 hour ago, Solak said:

high of 59. Yikes! 

This tells me there is BIG changes afoot with the pattern one way or the other!! FO SHO! 

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

No way it snows in Raleigh with that low sitting over the sounds.  But the map looks pretty!

Yeah eventually folks will learn that unless you live west of I77 in NC you want to see that low at least 100 miles east of Hatteras and moving slowly ENE or even NE.....for me and others east of I-95 150-200 miles would be better...the low needs to reform off Jacksonville Fl and move ENE OTS for something like that clown map posted above to happen.

Archived