• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2016 Discussion & Observations

bluewave

Was up in Roslyn on the north shore and they had about .75 of snow with cars and grassy surfaces covered. Even the Northern State Pky had some traces on it (in between the lanes) before the salt trucks hit it. Got back down towards JFK where there was only a dusting on colder surfaces. Here in Sheepshead Bay there is barely a dusting on colder surfaces.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bluewave said:

This is looking like one of the most impressive cold mid-December to warm late December pattern reversals that we have seen.

The million dollar question is it a transient pattern reversal or does it linger into January?

eps_z500a_noram_19.png

eps_z500a_noram_41.png

In the wise words of one of my students...

Booooooooooooooo.

More seriously, that looks like a pattern for 50s/near 60.

Back in message #137 on 12/2, I noted that following what appeared to be the onset of a cold pattern, that pattern's evolution (and, thus, durability) was uncertain. At the time, just 20% of the GFS ensembles' objective analogs were in agreement. Subsequent to that timeframe, some of the guidance suggested the potential for severe cold for the start of Christmas and Hanukkah. Now, the guidance has come into better agreement that around 12/20 +/- a few days, moderation will take place. A mild close to December remains very much on the table, especially if an AO+ (the AO has averaged +0.463 so far this month) combines with a shift to an EPO+. 

There is somewhat more agreement with the objective analogs (1953-54, 1974-75, and 1991-92 are common cases). In the mix are some other duds, including 1989-90, 1999-00, and 2000-01. There are also two nice cases in the mix (1957-58 and 2004-05). 

3 hours ago, weathermedic said:

Was up in Roslyn on the north shore and they had about .75 of snow with cars and grassy surfaces covered. Even the Northern State Pky had some traces on it (in between the lanes) before the salt trucks hit it. Got back down towards JFK where there was only a dusting on colder surfaces. Here in Sheepshead Bay there is barely a dusting on colder surfaces.

Just drove home from Vermont and like usual the amount of snow plummeted heading south on the island. Up on the north shore it looked close to an inch and dropped from there to .2" here on the bay. But even that is .2" more then I was expecting here

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just drove home from Vermont and like usual the amount of snow plummeted heading south on the island. Up on the north shore it looked close to an inch and dropped from there to .2" here on the bay. But even that is .2" more then I was expecting here

On the north shore where I am, Douglaston/Little Neck, Great Neck, there was well under an inch, probably close to .5" if that and it's now melting.

WX/PT

14 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

On the north shore where I am, Douglaston/Little Neck, Great Neck, there was well under an inch, probably close to .5" if that and it's now melting.

WX/PT

I did not get out and measure but it seemed like the most snow was southeast of you along the northern state. Regardless there was certainly more then down here. It's raining here now and the dusting is long gone 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

In any event, a -512 meter polar vortex in SE Canada  during December is among the strongest on record.

This has a chance of being the most extreme December Arctic outbreak for the Northeast in over a decade.

eps_z500a_noram_17.png

It will be interesting to see if the temperature in NYC falls below 10°. The last time that happened in December was December 27, 1989 when the temperature fell to 8°.

Of course, December 1989 was brutally cold (4 days with single-digit lows; 16 days with low temperatures below 20°; Mean low: 19.1°, Mean high: 32.6°, Mean temperature: 25.9°; and, one day with a high temperature of 18°).

The rest of the winter was much warmer (1 single-digit low; 3 days with lows below 20°; Mean low: 33.2°; Mean high: 48.0°, Mean temperature: 40.6°; and lowest high temperature of 25°).

I'm not sure that we'll see such a dramatic shift, but do believe the latter half of December will probably average milder than normal.

25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, December temperatures near or below 10 degrees have become rare here since the 1980's. So it will be interesting to see how close NYC can get.

NYC near or below 10 degree December lows since 1980(coldest of month)

1980...-1

12/16 top three coldest temperatures

So we're unlikely to even break a daily record.

17 hours ago, bluewave said:

This is looking like one of the most impressive cold mid-December to warm late December pattern reversals that we have seen.

The million dollar question is it a transient pattern reversal or does it linger into January?

eps_z500a_noram_19.png

If those AO ensembles are correct about it tanking back to zero or below, it probably will be somewhat of a brief change.

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Gfs and ggem flatter for this weekend. 2-4 for the area 

This one has more potential because a much colder air mass is in place before.  The high itself though isn't in a much better location.  Even last night in case nobody noticed we warmed up slower than most models showed.  Had NYC not dry slotted I think they'd have gotten 2-4 inches of snow easily 

All below normal 500mb heights seem to be gone by late on the 18th [a little help on the 850mb's during 19-22, then goodbye there too], and while trying most of the time to come back toward the coast---never make it again, even by the 28th.  Based on the GFSx, the next 8 days, including today, look to be just -2 or -3 when averaged over period, despite the brief aberrations.   As of today we are exactly normal and so I estimate by the 20th the month will be in the -1 to -2 range.     So if the final 11 days are  in the +2 to +4 area (doable), the month will finish near normal.  CANSIPS has us at +1.

11 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Fantasy nor'easter on GFS for next week

2 minutes ago, snywx said:

But but it can't snow with this setup! lol..

3.7" last night here

12.2" YTD

The GFS says I blow past last years total snowfall by Christmas this year...I won't believe it until after its been measured properly, we shall see.

Archived