• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Fall into Winter!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4ft in Redfield and Florence over in Oneida County lower part of the Tug. Montague is close to 4ft also. And still snowing hard up there. 

One of the snowmobile clubs is out with one of thier groomers to rescue some stranded hunters out on one of the seasonal roads. 

Crazy storm and weather the last few days. 

Going to take a while to wrap my brain around this storm.  I think it's almost the largest single event since I moved here in 2004.  VD II (2007?) may have been a bit more over 2+ days IMBY but that was a very distinguishable two part storm,  a synoptic phase of 15-16" and about 10-12" of lake effect afterwards.  This is sort of a bizarre lake assisted hybrid featuring an ULL and triple point slp that germinated northeast of here. Violates the classic weenie axiom that backside and "wraparound" snows usually underperform.  And the fetch of moisture that wrapped around in the CCB all the way from Bermuda...I don't remember a storm quite like this, especially when the original primary buried Minnesota and headed well north of here, into Quebec, funneling record (?) warmth, near 70 in SYR, into NY the day before the storm. Not a classic Miller A or B for these parts, I think.   Would love to see NWS or other Mets due a post-mortem on this.

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

Just did a measurement around the yard, front and back. Average of 20", low was 18, high was 22.  my "official" spot must be to obscured by hemlocks.

20161121_173349_resized.jpg

About the same here.....I had 14" when I left for work.....cleaned my board(s), and measured 6" for the day....both 12 hour measurements...so 20" for the storm..17" OTG....Still light to moderate....expect maybe another 1-3"....

13 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Going to take a while to wrap my brain around this storm.  I think it's almost the largest single event since I moved here in 2004.  VD II (2007?) may have been a bit more over 2+ days but that was a very distinguishable two part storm,  a synoptic phase of 15-16" and about 10-12" of lake effect afterwards.  This is sort of a bizarre lake assisted hybrid featuring an ULL and triple point slp that germinated northeast of here. Violates the classic weenie axiom that backside and "wraparound" snows usually underperform.  And the fetch of moisture that wrapped around in the CCB all the way from Bermuda...I don't remember a storm quite like this, especially when the original primary buried Minnesota and headed well north of here, into Quebec, funneling record (?) warmth, near 70 in SYR, into NY the day before the storm. Not a classic Miller A or B for these parts, I think.   Would love to see NWS or other Mets due a post-mortem on this.

Really a great event....deformation snows flowing over the top of shallower LES.....cloud seeding from above FTW.  And the deform bands were able to snow hard outside the LES bands without disruption of the surface flow supporting the LES....So you had upper level snows at around 1"/hr.....pure LES under those that put out 1-2"/hr....and when the two overlapped, upwards of 3"/hr.....

We need more stacked lows over S. Quebec/N. VT.... :)

Great Pics! 40" official already. 

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CAYUGA COUNTY...
   6 SW PORT BYRON       27.0   620 PM 11/21  COCORAHS

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...
   2 S LORRAINE          30.0   510 PM 11/21  STORM CHASER
   LORRAINE              27.0   522 PM 11/21  STORM CHASER

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
   6 E LACONA            40.0   600 PM 11/21  COCORAHS

BBQs are the best measurng stick known.  Always calibrated, always on, and universally understood.  The multi dimensional nature of them gives you a few reference points on snow depth.  If the ground is warm, the snow on top will accurately reflect what fell.  Plus any drifting and blowing will be apparent.  Really a useful tool in winter.  

I didnt really pay attention to this one until I spotted some snow flakes yesterday down here at HPN.  Looked like that mega streamer just blowing out its last few puffs all the way down here!  Amazing.

i think the retrograde doubled everything up.  Yes I would like to see more of these type of enhanced Synoptic snows this winter.  Warm lakes means business.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Latest totals. This isn't just a small area getting hit. Basically everyone from Batavia to Watertown to Albany to Binghamton all got 18-40"+

I think this might go down as a 4-5 star Lake Effect Event, at least 4 stars.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15192577_1096012030512153_3884713116223830116_n.jpg?oh=d7ab9cbc7aca3914c38e95e00ced4247&oe=58B5AAE7

It gets a 4.5 I say.  The widespread nature is amazing, but because the Synoptics dirty up the LE totals, can't be a five.  It's like an asterisk.  Plus, the 5 star event from 2014 has to be the elite LE event, and has to be the tallest trophy on the mantle.  

At least a 4 star event, even with a synoptic asterisk.  The 2014 Event has to be 5 star but the wide total coverage of this one sets it apart from the usually more narrowly focused mega LES events.  Maybe the oddest part was the nearly complete shutout for Buffalo proper.  Let's hope a decent 240/250 flow event sets up for them this winter. It's been a while but usually is as it's such a rare wind flow to sustain. Maybe this'll be a winter of unusual storms.  I'll take that over the PV sitting on top of us for a month at a time...

30 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

It gets a 4.5 I say.  The widespread nature is amazing, but because the Synoptics dirty up the LE totals, can't be a five.  It's like an asterisk.  Plus, the 5 star event from 2014 has to be the elite LE event, and has to be the tallest trophy on the mantle.  

There has been quite a few 5 star events though. 95, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2014. The number of the bigger cities impacted by this storm might earn it a 5. Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton with nearly 2 feet+. That is extremely rare and I don't think its ever happened before in a lake effect snow event.

1 hour ago, Revracer800 said:

Carol Yerdon up in Redfield a couple of hours ago reported 50", she is the weather watcher up there. 

10pm PIS from BUF

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BUF&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
   6 E LACONA            40.0   600 PM 11/21  COCORAHS
   8 NNW REDFIELD        37.0   800 PM 11/21  COCORAHS
   5 S LORRAINE          37.0   450 PM 11/21  STORM CHASER
   2 NE ORWELL           34.0   449 PM 11/21  STORM CHASER
   4 E SMARTVILLE        33.0   410 PM 11/21  STORM CHASER

I think the thing that impresses me the most about this LES event is just how far reaching some of these major totals are...going through the Binghamton area all the way into far NE PA. BGM's latest PNS has 24.2" (!!!) at the NWS Binghamton office as of a little after 10 tonight with probably more additional continuing to fall in that area. I'd have to think that would be a 5 star LES event for that particular region.  

7 hours ago, Revracer800 said:

Carol Yerdon up in Redfield a couple of hours ago reported 50", she is the weather watcher up there. 

She just reported 54 inches and still snowing in Redfield... she's a quality Observer she's probably measuring between the 6 and 12 hours that you're supposed to... a lot of the other totals from some of those folks up in the Tug I'm sure aren't measured "officially" correctly...

That said I will get up with just over 2 feet...25"...

2 hours ago, LakeEffectKing said:

She just reported 54 inches and still snowing in Redfield... she's a quality Observer she's probably measuring between the 6 and 12 hours that you're supposed to... a lot of the other totals from some of those folks up in the Tug I'm sure aren't measured "officially" correctly...

That said I will get up with just over 2 feet...25"...

Channel 9 news out did a interview with Carol last night, crazy how much snow up there. She said the record is 423" in a season and she hopes that record falls this season. 

Archived