• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Fall into Winter!

10 inches here but compacting and blowing are making measurements pretty sketchy.  Definitely blizzard-like at times.  I just did about a 10 mile loop and saw maybe a 3-4 inch discrepancy just on that journey.  Must a lot of meso and even micro-scale physics at work.  Really a fantastic event for Monroe County

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conditions have deteoriated on the East/Southeast shoreline now. SYR reporting +SN with 1" last hour, Watertown/FZY both down to 1/4 to 1/2 mile visibility. We're down to about 1/5 of a mile here with 40-50 mph sustained winds. 

HRRR keeps snow around until the end of its run still. Fulton probably looks good to pick up another 4-6", perhaps a little more. Tug should manage at least a few reports of 2-3'

On 11/19/2016 at 6:49 AM, LakeEffectKing said:

That map looks great for locations, and as you say....more to come after....but I'm thinking the totals overall, will be much higher for the higher elevations....ratios will be higher, and the upslope forcing will significantly add to the totals for this event...Chautauqua Co. will have jackpot totals over 2'...Tug Hill Area, near 3'....Hills S, SE, and SW of SYR, near 2'...Fulton, 20"...SYR, 18"....ROC 12"....BUF....3"(Unless the Huron band visits for a bit...)....The writing is on the wall....this will over-produce for many vs. model consensus....Happy kick-off to winter '16-17'!!!!!  If I have time....maybe a map later.....

One more note....the wind will be ferocious for a time Sun. into Sun. night along the S/SE/E. Shore of Ontario....Blizzard criteria will certainly be met for some!!!

But this revision a few hours  later is better!! :):)

I measured 11" this a.m. at 0630 although like everyone else is experiencing, hard to get a good measurement.  Somewhere between 10-15" is accurate, drifting up to 2 feet IMBY.  My liquid equivalent was was off as snowgauge didn't capture wind driven snow apparently.  I could have done a core measurement but I had to get snowblowing instead of pissing around with that.  Only 0.58" liquid but no way the ratio is that high...it's closer to 10:1 I'd guess based on snowblower ops this morning.  

Congrats everyone not within a 15 mile radius of my house!  And great call LEK, as usual.  Should have seen this coming.  Very warm lakes, sub freezing temps, developing/retrograding low in the "sweet spot" for NW/WNW flow, and tons of synoptic moisture pinwheeling right over L. Ontario....= absolute crushing for a huge area from about Batavia past 'Cuse.  

Archived