Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Hurricane Matthew and any potential impacts to New England

USCAPEWEATHERAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No it has the pressure too high. Earl barker and other sites are showing the mslp more truthfully. Many other sites  are .25 degree as well, but the data is still degraded.

We have it...do you have access?

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/models/model_center.html/?&model=gfshires&run_time=18z&param=troppres&map=US&run_hour=96

5 minutes ago, MarkO said:

Just looking at the topo of southwest Haiti. Some elevation down there. Some peaks up in the 5-7000' range and Matthew is already within 150 miles. I can only imagine the flooding.

Somebody down there will see 30-35 inches of rain from this. All that orographic lift and slow movement will cause a deluge. 

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Doesn't that happen with routine thunderstorms there?

:lol: I've actually probably got a chart somewhere that plots how much rain it takes in various periods of time to shut down parts of town. But yeah, a particularly strong summer downpour when the streams aren't too low is often enough to prompt a few road closures. The better events where people need to be water rescued and schools need to be closed are less common, though. 

2 minutes ago, PeabodyFlood said:

:lol: I've actually probably got a chart somewhere that plots how much rain it takes in various periods of time to shut down parts of town. But yeah, a particularly strong summer downpour when the streams aren't too low is often enough to prompt a few road closures. 

I'd guess it's probably around 4" in 24 hours.

Just now, MarkO said:

I'd guess it's probably around 4" in 24 hours.

4" in 24 hours should be enough to cause serious travel issues and close schools here. I recall one year where a cutoff low gave us ~6-7" in a 5 day period and it made parts of downtown inaccessible for a day or two. I think that was the only time that I ever had a track meet canceled. 

12 minutes ago, PeabodyFlood said:

4" in 24 hours should be enough to cause serious travel issues and close schools here. I recall one year where a cutoff low gave us ~6-7" in a 5 day period and it made parts of downtown inaccessible for a day or two. I think that was the only time that I ever had a track meet canceled. 

The box culvert that runs under Central Street is waaaaay undersized. 3 or 4 inches of rain and that stream begins to back up the downtown area. I on.ly said 4 because it's been so dry.

59 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Well Don, it is wrong.

I think that's what I stated. Any inference otherwise...different generation I guess.

11pm out and me not liking. Cone is now encompassing 3/4 of the state, notched-up on maybe having to stock-up tomorrow. CAT1 sure, that would be kind of fun. CAT2 would honestly like to have an eye pass overhead. CAT3 and higher I prefer to pass on IMBY.  Steve stated oh so well give me a gentle 4' blizzard anyday and twice on Sunday. 

Archived