Newest Member
    amirah5
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, I'm trying not to go nuts with the excursions because we'll definitely want to spend at least a day on each island doing nothing but enjoy the scenery.

I had done all my research on the Hilton, but it looks like they ran out of award space (or at least reasonable award space) so now I'm thinking that I could cash in some IHG points for the InterCon. I'm wondering if I can set up a an auxiliary NWS office out there. 

Taking a quick glance at the IC in Moorea, you'd probably have some pretty good snorkeling on the close reef there where there is also a dropoff to deeper water on the right side of the resort. Looks like only a small area of beach there, so grab a water bungalow with a nice little deck, lol.  

7178119930_8dbdd609a2_b.jpg

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Taking a quick glance at the IC in Moorea, you'd probably have some pretty good snorkeling on the close reef there where there is also a dropoff to deeper water on the right side of the resort. Looks like only a small area of beach there, so grab a water bungalow with a nice little deck, lol.  

Life will be tough.

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

7178119930_8dbdd609a2_b.jpg

heh... that doesn't seem like an entirely stable habitat - like, cleave another RI -sized chunk of Ross shelfian Mesosoic trapped ice content away from those being coral bate -

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Logan airport number...I remember having to go into work on the 8th for several hours driving from ORH in blizzard conditions...got to financial district and there was a good 15" with the snow still coming down hard. Probably got about 16-17" total there...west side of BOS probably had 18" and once you started getting into the hilly southwest suburbs like Randolph it was over 2 feet or at least right around 2 feet.

Same boat. Came into work on State St. We had a shareholder meeting on the top floor, which is all windows and it was pounding. I don't remember a word the CEO said, just kept trying to guess what the rates were. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

It was beautiful.....you would definitely appreciate it. The landscape...weather..etc. Just awesome.  Definitely hit the island up if you go back.

I've allotted 8 days on Kauai as part of my trip this fall. Figuring 3 in Lihue and 5 in Princeville... hope that will be enough time.

12 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I've allotted 8 days on Kauai as part of my trip this fall. Figuring 3 in Lihue and 5 in Princeville... hope that will be enough time.

We stayed in Princeville. The island was pretty easy to get around via car. We did a dinner cruise on a catamaran over at the Napali Coast. It was epic.

The September Gale

By Oliver Wendell Holmes

(1836)

I'M not a chicken; I have seen 
Full many a chill September, 
And though I was a youngster then, 
That gale I well remember; 
The day before, my kite-string snapped, 
And I, my kite pursuing, 
The wind whisked off my palm-leaf hat; 
For me two storms were brewing!

It came as quarrels sometimes do, 
When married folks get clashing;
There was a heavy sigh or two, 
Before the fire was flashing, 
A little stir among the clouds,
Before they rent asunder,--
A little rocking of the trees, 
And then came on the thunder.

Lord! how the ponds and rivers boiled! 
They seemed like bursting craters! 
And oaks lay scattered on the ground 
As if they were p'taters 
And all above was in a howl, 
And all below a clatter, 
The earth was like a frying-pan, 
Or some such hissing matter.

It chanced to be our washing-day, 
And all our things were drying; 
The storm came roaring through the lines,
And set them all a flying; 
I saw the shirts and petticoats 
Go riding off like witches;
I lost, ah! bitterly I wept,--
I lost my Sunday breeches!

I saw them straddling through the air, 
Alas! too late to win them; 
I saw them chase the clouds, as if 
The devil had been in them; 
They were my darlings and my pride, 
My boyhood's only riches,--
"Farewell, farewell," I faintly cried,--
"My breeches! O my breeches!"

That night I saw them in my dreams, 
How changed from what I knew them! 
The dews had steeped their faded threads, 
The winds had whistled through them! 
I saw the wide and ghastly rents
Where demon claws had torn them; 
A hole was in their amplest part, 
As if an imp had worn them.

I have had many happy years, 
And tailors kind and clever, 
But those young pantaloons have gone
Forever and forever! 
And not till fate has cut the last 
Of all my earthly stitches, 
This aching heart shall cease to mourn 
My loved, my long-lost breeches!

front slipped S of Rt 2 about 1.5 hours ago and N. Mass has been cooling precipitously since.  

interesting to see CON, NH barely 60! 

72 here; was 84 2 hours ago. 

still in the upper 70s/low 80s toward the Pike and beyond. 

this is one of those interesting boundaries that only weakly shows up on a standard interval barographic layout, but has an intense thermal inversion/llv warmth cancelation.  would it be imprudent to imagine?   ...this in the winter would have been 62/57, wind flip N, plummet to 33 with pellets kicking in type of wedge.   then the high takes over and clears it out.  bone cold the next day followed by the high moving off and western cutter f'ing it all up, of course but what can you do -

love this stuff, man

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

front slipped S of Rt 2 about 1.5 hours ago and N. Mass has been cooling precipitously since.  

interesting to see CON, NH barely 60! 

72 here; was 84 2 hours ago. 

still in the upper 70s/low 80s toward the Pike and beyond. 

this is one of those interesting boundaries that only weakly shows up on a standard interval barographic layout, but has an intense thermal inversion/llv warmth cancelation.  would it be imprudent to imagine?   ...this in the winter would have been 62/57, wind flip N, plummet to 33 with pellets kicking in type of wedge.   then the high takes over and clears it out.  

love this stuff, man

It does cool down pretty quickly once it passes through, down to 63* now.

Archived