Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well.. tomorrow is uninstall day. We install in April to beat the heat and uninstall in September as hills no longer need it .

What a summer. Torrid FTW 

Embrace and enjoy the COC weather. 

Must've been glad you installed in April and then had to wait till July and August to use it.

I'll agree with you...what a sweet summer.  Below normal in June and July and then a flip to above normal to finish it out in August.  Did briefly touch 90F once at the ASOS in between hours one day, but don't think we actually had an hourly 90F reading.  Average highs in the 70s for June and July, except for August where the average high temp was exactly 80.0F.  A little drier than normal but all in all, a great summer. 

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well.. tomorrow is uninstall day. We install in April to beat the heat and uninstall in September as hills no longer need it .

Why would you unistall in the warmth tomorrow , do it Saturday so you won't work up a sweat doing that 10 minute job, wouldn't want you to break a sweat. Oh and don't forget to tip it back out the window to drain it. I know you always forget.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Why would you unistall in the warmth tomorrow , do it Saturday so you won't work up a sweat doing that 10 minute job, wouldn't want you to break a sweat. Oh and don't forget to tip it back out the window to drain it. I know you always forget.

He's so weak and frail I'm guessing he makes Jen or his daughters carry them down to the basement. 

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Embrace and enjoy the COC weather. 

Must've been glad you installed in April and then had to wait till July and August to use it.

I'll agree with you...what a sweet summer.  Below normal in June and July and then a flip to above normal to finish it out in August.  Did briefly touch 90F once at the ASOS in between hours one day, but don't think we actually had an hourly 90F reading.  All in all, a great summer. 

Met summer was 0.1° AN at my place, with the warm August overcoming the BN June, July being almost dead on the average.  Much above average for sun, BN for rain, so a delightful season for all but the garden.  Sept will be about +4 with today's warmth, will probably be closer to +2 by month's end.

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Met summer was 0.1° AN at my place, with the warm August overcoming the BN June, July being almost dead on the average.  Much above average for sun, BN for rain, so a delightful season for all but the garden.  Sept will be about +4 with today's warmth, will probably be closer to +2 by month's end.

We are probably in the minority in our opinion of this summer.  Seemed to be a heck of a lot more humidity to the south...and warmer temps, sensibly and relative to average.

Looks like BDL averaged 8F warmer than up here in August, so yeah if I added 8F to every afternoon I'd probably feel differently about "pleasantness".

Another barometer of the thermal gradient would be that the ASOS up here was actually colder than MPM and HubbDave.  There were recent Summer's when those guys seemed to be cooler especially for highs (like we get in an over-the-top heat pattern for New England when southern QC is all 90s) than here.  

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

All you guys have been talking about is Cox ks and 70's/50's.  So should be cool and comfortable to uninstall 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All you guys have been talking about is Cox ks and 70's/50's.  So should be cool and comfortable to uninstall 

Well you can interpret 70s as cool or warm, that's subjective (as in it was chilly this morning but warm this afternoon in the 70s).  But you've been seeing 70s all month long.  ORH's average high temp for September so far is 75F with 15 of 21 days having a high in the 70s, 4 days in the 80s and 2 in the 60s.  Given you say you highs are similar to ORH, I'm assuming you've been enjoying the 70s in the means the past 3 weeks.  You be the judge if it's cool or warm on the subjective front.

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well you can interpret 70s as cool or warm, that's subjective.  But you've been seeing 70s all month long.  ORH's average high temp for September so far is 75F with 15 of 21 days having a high in the 70s, 4 days in the 80s and 2 in the 60s.  Given you say you highs are similar to ORH, I'm assuming you've been enjoying the 70s in the means the past 3 weeks.

yep

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Well you can interpret 70s as cool or warm, that's subjective (as in it was chilly this morning but warm this afternoon in the 70s).  But you've been seeing 70s all month long.  ORH's average high temp for September so far is 75F with 15 of 21 days having a high in the 70s, 4 days in the 80s and 2 in the 60s.  Given you say you highs are similar to ORH, I'm assuming you've been enjoying the 70s in the means the past 3 weeks.  You be the judge if it's cool or warm on the subjective front.

Torrid stuff.

16 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Incredible 2nd half of summer for heat.    Thought it would never come once we stayed cool til 7/15 or so.   Not many record highs, but persistent above normal temps and at times gross humidity.     Hoping the air is off for good here...had to run it earlier this week-Sun into Mon.  I used to cringe at running it post Labor day weekend, but seems like there's more  of that in recent years as we continue to warm...

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Thousands and thousands of dollars FTL.  

Obviously a factor, but well worth it for comfort and also re-sale.    Depends how long you see yourself staying in the house and pricing in your area.  Everything here is expensive so the 600K house with AC is going to sell quicker than the one without it.

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

We looked into it.  Was going to be like 7-9K to do and that was like 8 years ago.

It ain't cheap, that's for sure...but with a warming climate it makes more and more sense.   HVAC guys around here have had a field day the last 10 years with some of these torrid summers forcing more and more to retro-fit older houses.  Anything built new has it of course.

Archived