Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The euro gave a large area lighter QPF...close to where it happened. I think the earlier runs were wetter....but you can't use older runs in these situations. 

There also has to be some acknowledgement that the global models have been more widespread with convection QPF than reality since like May.  I know you know this, but when convective elements are in play the model QPF is often too smoothed and too widespread (i.e. a 3" stripe on global models is often too widespread but shows the potential for a narrower zone).  The meso-models had a great handle on this in the last 48 hours....with the small streaks of high QPF amid a more general area of lighter QPF.

If I was going to be picky, I think the models were too far NW with the heaviest stuff.  The 1-4" rains that fell in Mass into NH were more modeled to be like ALB-GFL-RUT latitude by a bunch of models.  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I give up.  "Vast majority" and "meat of the region" I guess could be used to describe 50% of SNE.  But then one could say the vast majority got a solid soaking.

Those lucky few in the largely uninhabited areas of Mass north of the Pike and NW MetroWest region up through RUT-CON enjoyed it.

Hopefully you see some rain.

I dunno what to tell you man..there were two relatively narrow zones that did really well today. The rest of the region didn't.

D6E8A2C0-D315-49CD-8753-10DEB2D4C229_zps

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There also has to be some acknowledgement that the global models have been more widespread with convection QPF than reality since like May.  I know you know this, but when convective elements are in play the model QPF is often too smoothed and too widespread (i.e. a 3" stripe on global models is often too widespread but shows the potential for a narrower zone).  The meso-models had a great handle on this in the last 48 hours....with the small streaks of high QPF amid a more general area of lighter QPF.

If I was going to be picky, I think the models were too far NW with the heaviest stuff.  The 1-4" rains that fell in Mass into NH were more modeled to be like ALB-GFL-RUT latitude by a bunch of models.  

Right. I tended to use 4KM NAM and eventually NCAR ensemble and HRRR as it got close. The GFS actually did show two bands as well (it's getting more hires now so it's been showing these setups fairly well at times.)  I tend to not look at output verbatim...just where the synoptics argue for heavy rains and then go from there. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right. I tended to use 4KM NAM and eventually NCAR ensemble and HRRR as it got close. The GFS actually did show two bands as well (it's getting more hires now so it's been showing these setups fairly well at times.)  I tend to not look at output verbatim...just where the synoptics argue for heavy rains and then go from there. 

I thought the GFS was admirable picking up on the gap as well.  I asked about the Euro but got no response.  The GGEM/RGEM sucked.

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If it doesn't happen in Tolland, did it ever really happen at all?  Just making sure we are moving the goal-posts now to population weighted rainfall instead of a "few lucky areas" that encompass like 50% of New England spreading into upstate New York.

This was the largest rain event for the region in quite some time.  Sorry it didn't play out that well for you (though it does look like you were mere miles from a stripe of 0.5-1.0" that cut into northern Tolland County).  Don't worry, you'll get plenty of QPF as snow this winter ;).

like WEEI we need a whiner line

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How'd the NCAR ensemble do?  I always forget about that one.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

How'd the NCAR ensemble do?  I always forget about that one.

The 00z run did well last night. Showed the two jacks very well.  That might be another weenie site to look at for winter synoptics. However, I'm not sure if the convective allowing nature of it will mess it up. I don't recall it being absurd last winter....but then again...we didn't have a large sample size.

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Hopefully that image is replaced with snow mobiles on my street this winter.  I hate droughts.

It is pretty ridiculous in your area.  

There's definitely a part of the weather weenie that loves precipitation over nice weather...regardless of the physical effects of drought.  We just love those years with 60-70" of QPF.

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It is pretty ridiculous in your area.  

There's definitely a part of the weather weenie that loves precipitation over nice weather...regardless of the physical effects of drought.  We just love those years with 60-70" of QPF.

Been some dry spells over the last few years here in the summer, but this year is just getting out of hand. I've mowed once since Father's Day. On top of that, my soil sucks with big granite ledge under the soil. So, grass just burns up if no rain. I'm big on the yard, plants etc. so this summer just sucked. 

Archived