joxey
Fall+Banter

Ginx snewx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, powderfreak said:

What winters were better down there?  

I'd expect BOS to have better wall to wall winters but down there it's gotta be real hard to keep 2-3 straight months of winter.

I just think 2009-2010 was an anomalous winter in that how many times has BWI beaten a lot of the state of Maine for snow?  Just the ridiculous NAO block and pattern overall was crazy. 

I already said it was more anamalous snow wise. Our definitions of what winters are defined by is different its ok.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like KBWG is RN/SN mix on that plot. One dot and one asterisk.

How would you shade that in color wise?  I would assume pink but on our sheet it just says use blue for frozen and green for rain but nothing about mixed.  

I'm sort of surprised how terrible I am at this...it's a struggle drawing everything in and it doesn't hep that I have zero artistic ability.  Need to do a ton of practice

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Did some places in the Mid-Atlantic top 100" on the year that season?  I also remember like 4-foot snowpacks in the BWI suburbs....I think that would win in terms of anomalous winter.

The thing Feb 2015 had though was the cold.  Probably the most wasted cold air in the history of the interior, lol.  But whe coastal areas are getting 100" with teens for temps that's impressive.

There was a poster in the mid atl thread--NW of Baltimore- that I think had a 55" average depth at one point, pretty anomalous for sure. 

There are a few somewhat weenie spots in that area with some decent elevation.

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I find that tough to believe. 55" depth. After about 36" it tends to collapse on itself .

Kevin, don't understand that post, so its not physically possible to get above 3ft?   Didn't Coastalwx think his depth with close to 4ft in FEB 2015?

Anyway, it was Manchester MD:

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2013 at 9:03 PM, HighStakes said:

After the second storm on the 10th ended I took five measurements and had an average snowdepth of almost 55 inches. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2013 at 9:20 PM, Tenman Johnson said:

Come into Manchester kinda in the center of town having approached from the west. Road was decent, windy, I could stop a lot.  Few places the drifts on side of road were like sculptured.  First time I stopped I thought. Wait this isn't 3' of snow, I just left that and know what it looks like.   So I measured and was careful as I could be to not measure drifts and I got a couple of 61-62" stuff but mostly 50-55".

8 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Kevin, don't understand that post, so its not physically possible to get above 3ft?   Didn't Coastalwx think his depth with close to 4ft in FEB 2015?

Anyway, it was Manchester MD:

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2013 at 9:03 PM, HighStakes said:

After the second storm on the 10th ended I took five measurements and had an average snowdepth of almost 55 inches. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2013 at 9:20 PM, Tenman Johnson said:

Come into Manchester kinda in the center of town having approached from the west. Road was decent, windy, I could stop a lot.  Few places the drifts on side of road were like sculptured.  First time I stopped I thought. Wait this isn't 3' of snow, I just left that and know what it looks like.   So I measured and was careful as I could be to not measure drifts and I got a couple of 61-62" stuff but mostly 50-55".

Many Cocorahs reports in PA had 42 to 60 inches I saw 6 foot depths in Maine in 01 totally impressive 

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I find that tough to believe. 55" depth. After about 36" it tends to collapse on itself .

Most of ESNE exceeded that in 2015, some by like another 1-2 feet.

Even lake effect built to like 6-7 feet and that's as fluffy as it is.  

IIRC the MA 2010 snow was pretty QPF heavy...more so than 2015.  The photos just have a different look in type of snow.

37 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I remember our former leader Xamtrov having over 50" in Manch MD too.  Eventually it compacts but like Steve said it only goes so far. When it turns into a glacier the bottom of the pack gets closer to 3-4:1. So you need a lot of water in the pack to sustain the big depths. 

When I saw his 4 foot high pool buried to the top all the way around my jaw dropped.

15 hours ago, Hoth said:

Tough call. '09-'10 in the MA was a pretty epic winter from start to finish. '14-'15 was a three week wintergasm, replete with extreme cold, but bookended with boringness. I believe we were discussing futility here until Juno came along, and when the snow shut off after Feb 15, it pretty much stayed shut off for the rest of the season. Still, to go from futility to a 100"+ season (in fact I think Coastal did 100" in that 3 weeks alone), totally insane. An MIT statistician reviewed Boston's climate data and concluded the event was a 1 in 90,000 year thing.

Edit: I should also add that several sites recorded their coldest February on record in '15. Sometimes gets buried under the snow stats, but that in itself was pretty incredible, especially if you take a warming climate into consideration.

I know Sam Lillo ran some numbers for that 30 day snow blitz and found only 6 simulated winters out of 1,000,000 produced what we observed. That's a shade over 160,000 year return period. 

Archived