Newest Member
    joxey
I'll see you in September

J Paul Gordon

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Warm up, cool down, warm up, cool down but the dewpoints don't get above the mid 60sF 

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KORH

Been a nice summer for modest dews, except for a couple days earlier this month.  I don't record TDs, but my daily minima have been BN even as the overall met summer temps are a tiny bit AN.  I've recorded 9 days with minima 60+.  My average is 16 (range 7-25) and am currently below the 2nd lowest (11) of 18 summers.  Days with maxima 80+ are now up to 27, exactly on my average (range 6-45) and likely to bump up by a handful.

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Been a nice summer for modest dews, except for a couple days earlier this month.  I don't record TDs, but my daily minima have been BN even as the overall met summer temps are a tiny bit AN.  I've recorded 9 days with minima 60+.  My average is 16 (range 7-25) and am currently below the 2nd lowest (11) of 18 summers.  Days with maxima 80+ are now up to 27, exactly on my average (range 6-45) and likely to bump up by a handful.

What year did you only have 6 high temps of 80F+?  That seems pretty crazy to only have 6 all summer haha.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What year did you only have 6 high temps of 80F+?  That seems pretty crazy to only have 6 all summer haha.

Need to check my own figures.  Not much in the above post was on target.  ;)

Days 80+:  Max - 55 in 1999, 2nd is 45 in 2001.  Min:  7 in 2008, 2nd is 10 in 2009 (the year I'd have guessed had the least), avg. is 27.7.

Minima 60+:  Max - 25 in 2010, 2nd is 23 in 1999 and 2003.  Min:  6 in 2000, 2nd is 10 in 2004 and 2007, avg. is 15.8.

9 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Lots of variety.  Best coastline in the northeast, forests, farmland, rugged mountains.

what part of Maine?

9 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Lots of variety.  Best coastline in the northeast, forests, farmland, rugged mountains.

what part of Maine?

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

where 

Southport! I'm pretty excited to be up there for a long weekend. Can't wait to get some pictures by the coastline and enjoy the comfortable temps. I also heard the lobster bisque is hands down the best 

53 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Southport! I'm pretty excited to be up there for a long weekend. Can't wait to get some pictures by the coastline and enjoy the comfortable temps. I also heard the lobster bisque is hands down the best 

Nice area, enjoy your stay!  The more you spend, the better the weather will be :)

Holy crap, BTV with their warmest August since 1884...it's their overnight temps not dropping below 70F that really helped it.  The mins at that place are ridiculous.

Of note: August 2016 is poised to set the record for the warmest
August on record at Burlington, VT (KBTV). The current monthly
average temperature sits at 73.8F as of yesterday, with the
current monthly record being 73.1 set back in 1947. Given today`s
warmth this record will be broken.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Holy crap, BTV with their warmest August since 1884...it's their overnight temps not dropping below 70F that really helped it.  The mins at that place are ridiculous.

Those BTV mins...I first brought them up on this forum about 4-5 years ago when I noticed how much warmer they were getting from even a decade earlier. 

Still not sure what caused the steep rise (way way faster than any background GW trend) but almost certainly has something to do with the siting whether it's development around the airport or the ASOS itself being moved or new runway or some combo. 

42 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nah..cool,,dew less summer up there.

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Those BTV mins...I first brought them up on this forum about 4-5 years ago when I noticed how much warmer they were getting from even a decade earlier. 

Still not sure what caused the steep rise (way way faster than any background GW trend) but almost certainly has something to do with the siting whether it's development around the airport or the ASOS itself being moved or new runway or some combo. 

Same thing happened to BDL in the early 90s.  They used to radiate better than they do now.  At some point they had a new citing and have been warmer ever since.

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

For me, August is finishing 5th warmest since 1985.

Overall, the met summer ranks as 8th warmest.  It comes in as the 2nd driest with only 7.55" falling.  The driest summer was 1999 when only 6.48" fell.  That summer was warmer as well (#5 all time). 

August only had two mornings in the 40s and I usually have more than that, particularly towards the end of the month.  I did wind up with 15 for the summer which is spot on average but June had a higher than average number.  I was also spot on the average of 3 days with a low of 70 or higher for the summer but I did have one more day >64 than average (16).  Average minimum temps ranked 13th so pretty much average.  It was a full 5°F "cooler" than #1 (summer 2003).  Max temps ranked as 7th warmest though.

So it was a decent ranking summer but certainly not the worst or the most extreme.

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

July started cool. But after mid July, COCs went flacid.

There were a lot of COC days but that August stretch was very hot and humid. As a whole this summer featured  more downslope dandies than HHH days, hot dry for the most part summer.

1 2005 33 0
- 1973 33 0
3 2006 37 0
- 1984 37 0
5 2010 38 0
6 2012 39 0
- 1949 39 0
8 2015 40 0
- 2008 40 0
10 2011 41 0
11 1988 42 0
12 2016 43 1