Newest Member
    EWR757
I'll see you in September

J Paul Gordon

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Current modeling looks like we have some occasional cool downs but overall I think September comes in above normal for many in SNE.

I'm not saying torch, just warm and probably on the dry side. 

I would agree with both parts.   I was a little surprised to see those two below normal.  The other two are a little AN

24 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Current modeling looks like we have some occasional cool downs but overall I think September comes in above normal for many in SNE.

I'm not saying torch, just warm and probably on the dry side. 

I'd agree with that as well...the month probably ends above normal but it just doesn't scream torch like last month.  Sort of like a warm hang-over from August.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'll hit 90 with the best of them on a SW wind.  Gotta get good mixing and very warm temps near 850 to do so now that sun angle is lowering.

The sun really is noticeable.  Shadows on the east side start growing long much earlier than they did a month ago.  Decoupling starts earlier as the sun falls behind the Spine, that extra hour of strong sun can make a difference in temps... now we decouple around 6pm. 

Today: 79F at 5:54pm and then 1 hour later its 67F at 6:54pm...then it was 60F by 7:54pm.

So in 2 hours we lost 19 degrees in the 6-8pm time frame.  A month ago that didn't happen until 8-10pm, as soon as that sun goes behind Mansfield it just plummets.  Nights definitely will be getting colder with that earlier decoupling.

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The sun really is noticeable.  Shadows on the east side start growing long much earlier than they did a month ago.  Decoupling starts earlier as the sun falls behind the Spine, that extra hour of strong sun can make a difference in temps... now we decouple around 6pm. 

Today: 79F at 5:54pm and then 1 hour later its 67F at 6:54pm...then it was 60F by 7:54pm.

So in 2 hours we lost 19 degrees in the 6-8pm time frame.  A month ago that didn't happen until 8-10pm, as soon as that sun goes behind Mansfield it just plummets.  Nights definitely will be getting colder with that earlier decoupling.

:weenie:

I've already viewed a few CFS runs on the COD site just to see phantom cool downs and freezes in the long range.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like Kevin is battling the inner demons. Hot, humid with plenty of faux severe wx in his sig, but the October 2011 snow for his avatar.  Seasons in Seasons.

Wait until we get to about October 5th or so. That's when the struggle really ramps up. Really conflicted about rooting for drought and heat vs days in the 40s and 50s. Usually goes full tilt for a week or three at some point later that month. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wait until we get to about October 5th or so. That's when the struggle really ramps up. Really conflicted about rooting for drought and heat vs days in the 40s and 50s. Usually goes full tilt for a week or three at some point later that month. 

It's quite the show. Really a great realtime experiment for those professional mental health behavioral experts.

21 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

The wave action on the southern Maine coast (around Wells Kennebunk) was incredible yesterday afternoon. Two hours after high tide and the beaches looked like they do at high tide. The swells were well over 10 feet (3m+) and looking further out they must have been 15'+ (4.6m+)

Hermine'sWaves1-2x3.jpg

great pic

29 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

The wave action on the southern Maine coast (around Wells Kennebunk) was incredible yesterday afternoon. Two hours after high tide and the beaches looked like they do at high tide. The swells were well over 10 feet (3m+) and looking further out they must have been 15'+ (4.6m+)

Hermine'sWaves1-2x3.jpg

That wave looks like it's about to crush you. Do you think it was safe to be in the water like  you are there?

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I'll hit 90 with the best of them on a SW wind.  Gotta get good mixing and very warm temps near 850 to do so now that sun angle is lowering.

Can happen, even up here.  My highest temp in 18+ years, a modest 93 for my vegetation-corrupted site, was set 7/3/2002 and tied on 9/9 that year.  The 10th was 92.  Fortunately the dews were bearable, unlike three years earlier when mid-80s with TDs low 70s made Sept 6-9 Okeefenokee-ugly.  (4.3" RA at near-70 temps/dews on 10-11 helped extend the swamp.)

Sept 1-5 is 1.7° BN here, thanks to lows of 42/43/44 the past 3 days.  My avg temps for 9/8-9 are 72/48, so it won't take much warmth to erase that departure.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Haha, there will be that one post that everyone knows means the switch is made.  All the sudden it goes from "Days of 90s for all" to "the hills may not make it above 60F again this year."  The switch will also include a sudden stop in mentioning of BDL and HFD, to discussing ORH's obs.  Also stops fantasizing about the valley heat and starts talking about the valley in a derogatory way.

There's sort of like a WINDEX type checklist so when all the points are checked off, we've gone into -KFS mode.

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Can happen, even up here.  My highest temp in 18+ years, a modest 93 for my vegetation-corrupted site, was set 7/3/2002 and tied on 9/9 that year.  The 10th was 92.  Fortunately the dews were bearable, unlike three years earlier when mid-80s with TDs low 70s made Sept 6-9 Okeefenokee-ugly.  (4.3" RA at near-70 temps/dews on 10-11 helped extend the swamp.)

Sept 1-5 is 1.7° BN here, thanks to lows of 42/43/44 the past 3 days.  My avg temps for 9/8-9 are 72/48, so it won't take much warmth to erase that departure.

That 1999 stretch still holds 5 record high lows in my records with lows 68 and 70°.  At least after mid-September that nonsense pretty much fades away to be scattered after that.

Archived