Newest Member
    amirah5
I'll see you in September

J Paul Gordon

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea and bouts of heavy rain shower to boot

Very efficient and productive rains today.  

Nothing too heavy - just dense low-topped showers that have added up to .72 so far.

In between the dense rains - heavy drizzle.  

An ideal day for the lawns!  

Very efficient and productive rains today.  

Nothing too heavy - just dense low-topped showers that have added up to .72 so far.

In between the dense rains - heavy drizzle.  

An ideal day for the lawns!  

I love a good small droplet sheet rain.  Those can add up surprisingly well and up here tend to be more orographic in nature (as one would expect in low topped or low level rain situations)...often it doesn't seem like its raining as hard as it actually is when droplets are that small.  Different feel from when you are getting those huge dime sized tropical drops from huge Cu towers.

That wave looks like it's about to crush you. Do you think it was safe to be in the water like  you are there?

Man that wasn't me! Dude is a lot bulkier than I am and a whole lot dumber! I wouldn't have gone into that for anything. Waves were actually breaking just out in front of him, but they were still building. Even the wash was higher than his head. Just dumb luck he didn't get hurt

Hermine'sWaves1-2x3.jpg

Man that wasn't me! Dude is a lot bulkier than I am and a whole lot dumber! I wouldn't have gone into that for anything. Waves were actually breaking just out in front of him, but they were still building. Even the wash was higher than his head. Just dumb luck he didn't get hurt

Hermine'sWaves1-2x3.jpg

Or he has been there done this. Looks awesome, put some flippers on and it's a world of fun, if you know what you are doing. That's double black diamond glade to a local

You sound silly..Everyday thru Sunday you are AN to WAN

No....not silly.  You equate "above average" with "above normal".  Two very different things as the average is dictated by 'warm norms and cool norms' over a period of time.   There's nothing abnormal about being above average for a few days. 

FWIW, I'm thinking I won't go above 82 this week. 

Yeah I don't see how that's all that unreasonable.  MPM tops out in mid-80s during high end heat...this is warm but not high end heat.

I know Kevin will ridicule me for looking at a forecast, but fwiw, here's what BOX is showing:

Today
Patchy drizzle with a slight chance of showers before 9am, then a chance of showers, mainly after 4pm. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 75. Northeast wind 7 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Thursday
Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.

Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. West wind around 8 mph.

Saturday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 80.

Sunday
A chance of showers before 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 75. Chance of precipitation is 40%

Or he has been there done this. Looks awesome, put some flippers on and it's a world of fun, if you know what you are doing. That's double black diamond glade to a local

This

I think Felix was my 1st experience with that kind of surf... you learn to duck pretty quickly and go through the wash cycle.  Bill is standard bearer however.  As memorable as my best powder days, and slightly more terrifying.

It does look very warm overall. Definitely not a September to remember unless you like Ginxy body surfing. 

Yes indeed.  Endless summer fora bit.  Fine with me for now as I put in Kale, Collards, Lettuce, Spinach, Mustards, and Chard and they will grow well if I keep watering them.  Fantastic sweet fresh fall greens.

But is there any sign of a pattern change to fall weather anytime soon?

This

I think Felix was my 1st experience with that kind of surf... you learn to duck pretty quickly and go through the wash cycle.  Bill is standard bearer however.  As memorable as my best powder days, and slightly more terrifying.

Bill was Epic 1976 offshore ET where we rode waves over the Dunes at Paddy's in Misquamicut into the parking lot was probably my biggest . Nothing better than seeing the coastal ponds from the top of surf.

His normal is about 72. 10 -12 degrees AN..if that's not furnaced I'm not sure what is

Why do you substitute the word "normal" when you're referencing "average"?  Also, I'm not sure where that 72* average is coming from.  I don't have a record of daily averages.

EIther way, it's silly semantics.  Is it going to be warm?  Yes.  September is a warm month so no surprise.  Roasting?  Not so much. 

Why do you substitute the word "normal" when you're referencing "average"?  Also, I'm not sure where that 72* average is coming from.  I don't have a record of daily averages.

EIther way, it's silly semantics.  Is it going to be warm?  Yes.  September is a warm month so no surprise.  Roasting?  Not so much. 

Using ORH as the closest climate station to your location.  When it comes to measuring whether or not a day is hot or cold it all comes down to the "normal" values for that day.  Take yesterday for instance.  ORH had a high of 67, normal is 73. A -6F of the day.  That's well below the "normal" value.  If you take the converse and were to add 6F and the day was 80F, that's well above normal.  If you were to get a day in the mid 80s, that would be a scorcher, relative to your locations normal temp.  Does that help?

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/getclimate.php?wfo

Using ORH as the closest climate station to your location.  When it comes to measuring whether or not a day is hot or cold it all comes down to the "normal" values for that day.  Take yesterday for instance.  ORH had a high of 67, normal is 73. A -6F of the day.  That's well below the "normal" value.  If you take the converse and were to add 6F and the day was 80F, that's well above normal.  If you were to get a day in the mid 80s, that would be a scorcher, relative to your locations normal temp.  Does that help?

Despite the low high of ORH, the low was high, so it was really a -3 day

Would 83 be a "scorcher"?  I guess... it would be a +10 for the high, so I would call it a torchy day.  Nothing really unusual for September for sure

But it certainly isn't the 90F that some posters were touting for my location

I know it's semantics but I disagree on a -6/+6 on a high temp (or low temp) as being "well above/below normal" normal.

Its above/below normal but happens several times per week in either the high or low.  

Double digits at least to get to "well above/below" and a one time afternoon of +10 to +12 just doesn't seem like a "scorcher".  

Again, all semantics but I's like to know what a 2 SD departure is like...within 1 SD is essentially normal, but 2SD maybe is more in the realm of "well" above or below normal.

SPECIAL BULLETIN 

A long and steep cooling curve is in the forecast for all of New England. While temperatures are above normal for this time of year there is 100% certainty that temperatures will fall into the <10F (-12C) to 35F (1.7C) range by early January. While actual temps may be significantly above or below those norms steep declines in temperature are an absolute guarantee for the entire region. Substantial cooling may extend into February. An equally substantial and steep increase in temperatures will begin in March and continue until at least early July of next year.

The cooling cycle is known as: Autumn-Winter

The warming cycle is known as: Spring-Summer

The process has occurred without disruption for over a million years. Substantial variations in "norms" have occurred during Glacial and Interglacial periods throughout the time-frame. 

Expect these patterns to continue for the indefinite future, with warm-cold iterations.

I know it's semantics but I disagree on a -6/+6 on a high temp (or low temp) as being "well above/below normal" normal.

Its above/below normal but happens several times per week in either the high or low.  

Double digits at least to get to "well above/below" and a one time afternoon of +10 to +12 just doesn't seem like a "scorcher".  

Again, all semantics but I's like to know what a 2 SD departure is like...within 1 SD is essentially normal, but 2SD maybe is more in the realm of "well" above or below normal.

Let's take a look at today for BOS. Average temp is 75.9, SD 7.6 degrees. Roughly 84% of days will be cooler than 1 SD above normal, so 83.5. 1.5 SD above normal is 87.3, and 2 SD is 91.1. Sure enough only 3.5% of days have been warmer than 91 in 143 years of data for BOS. So pretty close to the calculations.

So scorcher is definitely relative to the day, or at least time of year. You have a much greater variability in the cold season, so your SD will be larger, and thus scorchers would be more likely to be +/- 10.

welp ... all consternation aside, it's cooler than normal during the day until this cut-off remnant finally fills...

seems as usual, the models were too quick to do so...  spinning like a top and throwing saturable 900mb onshore flow some 300 naut miles N of it's center of circulation. 

in fact, it is singularly responsible for our region NOT realizing heat a pattern would otherwise probably be shattering records with - ;)

Archived