joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I'll see you in September

J Paul Gordon

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really rooting for TD9 to come up the coast close enough to give at least SNE some drought denting rain.  Like many, many systems the past 2 years I'll watch it slip by to my SE and we will miss any possible rain up here.  Not worried about a wind threat, that's all east of any center but rain is west.  Maybe some kind of PRE event could set up somewhere.  Still way off but will keep me interested.

4 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Southport! I'm pretty excited to be up there for a long weekend. Can't wait to get some pictures by the coastline and enjoy the comfortable temps. I also heard the lobster bisque is hands down the best 

Southport's a really nice area.  Enjoy yourself some time at Robinson's Wharf.

ORH 2016August average as of yesterday 72.3 (airport)

1937--72.7 (different site, possibly warmer days/cooler nights at Winter Hill site)

1920--72.5 (Winter Hill?), 2005 (airport)

1988 2016(through August 30)-- 72.3 (tie same airport site)

1916, 1918/--72.2 (different site)

A quick look up shows August coming in to tie for 3rd warmest. Let's see if today pushes it up at all. I doubt we'll break for number 1.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You're right there with us buddy! Get off fantasy island.

Hottest August ever in Boston too?

So BTV and BOS are both taking the top spot with really long periods of records.  That's fairly impressive to me.  Though I still think something has changed at BTV to have the mins continue to run so high.  There's been like two weeks worth of days this summer they haven't gone below 70F at night, that has to be tops in New England for 70+ mins.

August comparison between here at MVL on the east side of Mansfield and BTV on the west side out in the Champlain Valley:

BTV (330ft)

Mean temp: 73.8F (+4.9)

Monthly high and low: 96F (8/11) and 52F (8/23)

MVL (730ft)

Mean temp: 67.9F (+2.3)

Monthly high and low: 90F (8/11) and 43F (8/23)

*Despite having an elevation difference of only 400ft, the mean monthly temperature here east of Mansfield was 5.9F lower than it was at BTV.  That's a fairly significant difference for 400ft and about 20-25 miles away for a mean temperature.  That's not just like the difference in highs or lows one day but almost six degrees on an entire monthly mean.

1 minute ago, eekuasepinniW said:

omg!

<3

They had 7 mins of 70F+ this month but that doesn't even tell the whole story because there are nights that fail to go below 70F however the next evening it gets into the 60s prior to midnight so the daily min goes as a value in the 60s.  Even still they had about a week worth of days in August where the midnight to midnight low was 70F+.  If you remove the days they fell into the 60s the following evening, its more like 10-11 days this month alone with nights in the 70s.  Then they had a handful in July too.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nah..cool,,dew less summer up there.

Well the ASOS over past the grocery store here says we were -1F/-0.5/+2.3 for MET summer while BTV comes in with their top 3 warmest summers ever.

Glad I don't live over there I guess?  High of 90F this month at MVL with a low of 43F...warmer than normal in the means but even two days ago was -2 departure up here while it was near 90F south of the Pike.  It certainly hasn't "felt" like it has down your way that's for sure.

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You're right there with us buddy! Get off fantasy island.

No it wasn't my hottest August ever as shown by the two points nearest me in ORH PVD and I had nearly 5 inches of rain. what fantasy am I living, it was an extremely hot August just not the Sahara you have.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was a good summer personally, but glad to see it go. If I could only have a house at 4k in the summer, and then come back home to where it snows for winter. :)

Ha, as you made this post I was just looking at the 4kft info and Mansfield will come in top 3 hottest Augusts.  The average minimum temps will be number 1 for warmest so that looks to be where the heat push came from, the overnight lows up there.  Two 30+ year sites in the same town but the 4,000ft one is +5 and the 730ft one is +2.3

Probably makes sense why locally here in the mountain valleys the departures are much lower because radiational cooling processes are fairly strong and even in a high-dew pattern we will still radiate a bit (ie. 73/66 at BTV while its 58/58 with thick fog here).  We were colder than the summit in town a good deal of mornings this month which I'm sure is partly a cause for the large change in departures.  It wasn't the daytime highs as they almost always made sense from a lapse rate perspective...it wasn't like there were low level cold airmasses such that you'd get in the winter that can keep the lower elevations colder during the day.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, as you made this post I was just looking at the 4kft info and Mansfield will come in top 3 hottest Augusts.  The average minimum temps will be number 1 for warmest so that looks to be where the heat push came from, the overnight lows up there.  Two 30+ year sites in the same town but the 4,000ft one is +5 and the 730ft one is +2.3

Probably makes sense why locally here in the mountain valleys the departures are much lower because radiational cooling processes are fairly strong and even in a high-dew pattern we will still radiate a bit (ie. 73/66 at BTV while its 58/58 with thick fog here).  We were colder than the summit in town a good deal of mornings this month which I'm sure is partly a cause for the large change in departures.  It wasn't the daytime highs as they almost always made sense from a lapse rate perspective...it wasn't like there were low level cold airmasses such that you'd get in the winter that can keep the lower elevations colder during the day.

That certainly can mediate it. It's like the argument we had two falls ago about how some said it was a cool airmass because we had constant HP overhead and the radiators took advantage of it. Meanwhile, it was AN at 850mb and places like BOS and higher elevation spots certainly were not as cool from an anomaly perspective.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was a good summer personally, but glad to see it go. If I could only have a house at 4k in the summer, and then come back home to where it snows for winter. :)

Took you to mean meters and figured at that elevation you'd been deep under a glacier at our latitude/climate zone. 4K feet wouldn't be so bad, though.

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

ORH had 3 90's. Very hot summer for sure just not memorable for extended periods. Day after day of perfect beach weather sans that 10 day period in August with very high humidity and strong storms. 

3 90F+ days is average for us. But, as you write, it was the extended period of 80F+ days that pushed us into 6th 

5 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Took you to mean meters and figured at that elevation you'd been deep under a glacier at our latitude/climate zone. 4K feet wouldn't be so bad, though.

We tend to use feet in the United States rather than meters.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We tend to use feet in the United States rather than meters.

Yeah, but I've been thinking metric for the last few years and sometimes forget. Blame it on teaching science to middle schoolers and driving it into their heads that metric is a whole lot easier, nearly universal (big US being the major exception). Started keeping temp records in metric, etc. 

Archived