Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hello new board

JC-CT

On August 2, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Tenman Johnson said:

Can we please stop the never ending "we are trying". 10,000 other internet sites do not constantly have these issues. Don't fool around with people who try and who experiment; get people who have done it and know how to do it and if there really is no owner anymore with commitment to do this then shut it down.  This site is now all about ad revenue yet we are asked to contribute money for what?

Crap post.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened?

The origin web server timed out responding to this request.

What can I do?

If you're a visitor of this website:

Please try again in a few minutes.

If you're the owner of this website:

The connection to the origin web server was made, but the origin web server timed out before responding. The likely cause is an overloaded background task, database or application, stressing the resources on your web server. To resolve, please work with your hosting provider or web development team to free up resources for your database or overloaded application. Additional troubleshooting information here.

Uggghhhh. This IS getting quite frustrating. 

2 hours ago, jshetley said:

Board is still slow. There is no excuse for this. REVERT back.

You have obviously never worked with databases let alone managing a forum of massive amounts of users. For people who have, this isn't a unique situation. This happens. Unless you have an entire IT team dedicated to it, it's hard for one or two people to complete huge upgrades flawlessly. Troubleshooting is HARD and can be very frustrating. You have to take the board down, upgrades take tons of time, if the upgrade doesn't work you have to remove it and reload the backed up database and start from scratch again. It takes hours and lots of mental strain. It's August 4th not the middle of January. I've donated to this board, have you? Don't be such an ass.

We're going to continue to have some slow moments as the software is reindexing every post.  It is a requirement from the upgrade and does take up resources.  It runs them in batches to keep at a pace to avoid crashing the server and bottlenecking the mysql queries.  For the most part it seems to be pacing this better than before, but will still get slowdowns at times if it starts to bottleneck.

This is only a one-time process and will be finished this week.

What Jon said is true as well - it's not easy to revert back.  The database is huge now and would take hours to do.

5 hours ago, Wow said:

We're going to continue to have some slow moments as the software is reindexing every post.  It is a requirement from the upgrade and does take up resources.  It runs them in batches to keep at a pace to avoid crashing the server and bottlenecking the mysql queries.  For the most part it seems to be pacing this better than before, but will still get slowdowns at times if it starts to bottleneck.

This is only a one-time process and will be finished this week.

What Jon said is true as well - it's not easy to revert back.  The database is huge now and would take hours to do.

I wonder if this is why some threads have disappeared?  You know, the "Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013" thread being a thread that disappeared during the database upgrade.

27 minutes ago, Natester said:

I wonder if this is why some threads have disappeared?  You know, the "Blizzard Observation Thread Feb 8-9th 2013" thread being a thread that disappeared during the database upgrade.

None of the threads should be disappearing unless they were hidden by a moderator.

Not sure if this helps, but I think the Chrome update in mid July on my Android is adding to my problems.

I've uninstalled the update twice now due to being unable to cast video to my Chromecast.   Both times the Amwx pages loaded quickly (until the Chrome update took over again. )

Just an observation... Not sure if it means anything...  

It does not work as well as it did before and that is a simple, plain and pure fact

no one wants a site that takes 30+ seconds to load every single function if at all. Some if us are business like in the way we approach things and anticipate that they will work. We are not kids all giddy about how hard it is to get a site to load when a grand total of 16 people are on at the same time

if it is not broke then don't fix it because this fix effectively broke it

9 minutes ago, Tenman Johnson said:

It does not work as well as it did before and that is a simple, plain and pure fact

no one wants a site that takes 30+ seconds to load every single function if at all. Some if us are business like in the way we approach things and anticipate that they will work. We are not kids all giddy about how hard it is to get a site to load when a grand total of 16 people are on at the same time

if it is not broke then don't fix it because this fix effectively broke it

Get off my lawn!

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Really?  I hadn't noticed.

Sure the site is having it's problems but they've been explained as to why they are occurring.

It's not like we can revert back to the old IPB 3.x.

:lol:

Exactly, but you know you cant please everyone even with the explanations. some people act like it is the end of the world. I dont get why the need for attitude from some of these people.

Thank you to everyone involved for working so hard to fix the issues and get everything flowing as quickly as possible!  I know it's been very annoying but tremendous job!

much of my browsing and posting over the summer has been with my iPhone using safari and while the issues with loading, posting, quoting, and display were horrific I've noticed substantial improvements, especially with speed over the past day.  

Great job and thanks for working so hard!

The board over a desktop web browser is vastly improved today... back to normal using Chrome.

On an Iphone, I have noticed the pages still do not have a seamless scroll, but instead hang, scroll, hang, scroll.

Is there another theme for mobile that may work better?

Thanks for the hard work on this.  It's getting better.

Archived