joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know someone had mentioned this a couple days ago. The color of the sky has been so much better over the past few years. I can't believe how blue it has been during hot, humid days. When I was a kid the sky was brown. You couldn't even see the towers going up. 

89. Hopefully we all score tonight. Devastating flash flooding for all!

15 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I know someone had mentioned this a couple days. The color of the sky has been so much better over the past few years. I can't believe how blue it has been during hot, humid days. When I was a kid the sky was brown. You couldn't even see the towers going up. 

89. Hopefully we all score tonight. 

Yeah, WxUSAF mentioned it about a week ago and although I got the feeling that something was "different" about these recent hot days, until he said something, I couldn't place it.  I remember in the late 80's and early 90's when I was racing bicycles, I would come back from a long, hard ride on days like the ones we've had this past week and my chest would ache for hours.  I'm wondering now if it was because of the poor air quality.  I was out this past Sunday for over 3 hours riding, and although I'm fatter and slower, I still worked hard (getting fat over a hill is tough), and no achy chest.

Also hoping for an area-wide drenching tonight.  But I'd be okay without damaging flash flooding.

11 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, WxUSAF mentioned it about a week ago and although I got the feeling that something was "different" about these recent hot days, until he said something, I couldn't place it.  I remember in the late 80's and early 90's when I was racing bicycles, I would come back from a long, hard ride on days like the ones we've had this past week and my chest would ache for hours.  I'm wondering now if it was because of the poor air quality.  I was out this past Sunday for over 3 hours riding, and although I'm fatter and slower, I still worked hard (getting fat over a hill is tough), and no achy chest.

Also hoping for an area-wide drenching tonight.  But I'd be okay without damaging flash flooding.

Now that you mention it, I do recall rather hazy days a long time ago. The blue sky would be muted to a light blue. Perhaps the Hot, hazy, humid days are over and now we just have hot and humid days. :D

Now that you mention it, I do recall rather hazy days a long time ago. The blue sky would be muted to a light blue. Perhaps the Hot, hazy, humid days are over and now we just have hot and humid days. default_biggrin.png

Ditto, I've been mentioning this to friends all week. The sky would be almost white on the hot and humid days, it was just a signature of D.C. summer days. I can't get over how blue the sky has been with temps over 95. Totally weird.

10 minutes of wind-blown moderate rain and done.  Now just stratiform drizzle.  Based on cloud darkness, looks like the best stuff went north and south of me.  A few flashies of lightning as it came in and nothing else.  Now that it has passed east I can see and hear it strengthening.  Getting much more thunder now.  Cooled down at least, but very underwhelming.

VAC157-187-180000-  

/O.CON.KLWX.SV.W.0286.000000T0000Z-160818T0000Z/  

RAPPAHANNOCK VA-WARREN VA-  

752 PM EDT WED AUG 17 2016    

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 800 PM EDT   FOR SOUTHWESTERN RAPPAHANNOCK AND SOUTH CENTRAL WARREN COUNTIES...    

AT 752 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED NEAR SPERRYVILLE...   OR 15 MILES SOUTH OF FRONT ROYAL...MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.    

HAZARD...70 MPH WIND GUSTS.    

SOURCE...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED  

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC  

758 PM EDT WED AUG 17 2016    

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A    

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...  

NORTHWESTERN PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...  

NORTHEASTERN RAPPAHANNOCK COUNTY IN NORTHWESTERN VIRGINIA...  

CENTRAL LOUDOUN COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...  

NORTH CENTRAL CULPEPER COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...  

EAST CENTRAL WARREN COUNTY IN NORTHWESTERN VIRGINIA...  

FAUQUIER COUNTY IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA...    

* UNTIL 830 PM EDT    

* AT 757 PM EDT...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE   EXTENDING FROM NEAR LINDEN TO 10 MILES WEST OF WARRENTON...MOVING   NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.    

HAZARD...70 MPH WIND GUSTS.    

SOURCE...LAW ENFORCEMENT.    

IMPACT...DAMAGING WINDS WILL CAUSE SOME TREES AND LARGE BRANCHES   TO FALL. THIS COULD INJURE THOSE OUTDOORS...AS WELL AS   DAMAGE HOMES AND VEHICLES. ROADWAYS MAY BECOME BLOCKED BY   DOWNED TREES. LOCALIZED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.   UNSECURED LIGHT OBJECTS MAY BECOME PROJECTILES.  

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...   LEESBURG...SOUTH RIDING...BRAMBLETON...WARRENTON...LINTON HALL...   BULL RUN...HAYMARKET...MIDDLEBURG...ARCOLA...THE PLAINS...HUME...   OATLANDS...DELAPLANE...GAINESVILLE...NEW BALTIMORE...MARSHALL...   NOKESVILLE...HAMILTON...AMISSVILLE AND MARKHAM.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I feel like these are the kind of storms that you want to pop right next to you. It's hard to sustain that kind of action over a long distance.

I'd tend to agree. 1) They are already reduced a bit from their peak winds. 2) There is activity forming ahead of it that may muddy the playing field. 3) The winds don't even look like 70mph right now. I'd warn it for 60mph if I were them. Subject to more velocity scans, though. 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The source seems to be spotters and LE though--people on the ground.

It looks like the reports tapered off tho after the Luray and Stanley area patch of reports. I don't see any newer ones on my screen yet but it could be delayed. No doubt there could still be wind damage but I'm thinking 70mph is a bit on the high end at least at this exact moment. But there is not an appreciable difference from 60 to 65 or so vs 70. 

derechoooooooooooo

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Looks like the cell out in front appoaching Dulles is going to become one with the larger trailing complex. Hard to say how it all progresses east. Prob just some gusty winds and active TL followed by a lot of rain. Kinda doubt severe parameters will be met around the beltway. 

I'd definitely lean towards the radar already shifting towards the heavy rain event vs the damaging wind. There's still a decent patch of winds on velocity but it's continuing to come down a bit more - slowly but surely. Maybe it can pulse up again. 

VAC061-107-153-180030-   /O.CON.KLWX.SV.W.0288.000000T0000Z-160818T0030Z/   PRINCE WILLIAM VA-LOUDOUN VA-FAUQUIER VA-   818 PM EDT WED AUG 17 2016     ...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 830 PM EDT   FOR NORTHWESTERN PRINCE WILLIAM...CENTRAL LOUDOUN AND NORTHEASTERN   FAUQUIER COUNTIES...     AT 817 PM EDT...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE   EXTENDING FROM NEAR MIDDLEBURG TO NEAR WARRENTON...MOVING NORTHEAST   AT 45 MPH.     HAZARD...70 MPH WIND GUSTS.     SOURCE...LAW ENFORCEMENT.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived