Newest Member
    joxey
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Me too. I've gotten everything I could have asked for this summer. It's time for the big step down to fall. 

Just looking at the most recent ensemble runs of the GFS and Euro, I don't see another push of big heat in the extended range. We're starting to get to a point where climo isn't terribly uncomfortable IMO. Mid 80s at DCA with lows in the mid 60s. By the end of the month climo lows at BWI and IAD are near 60! 

That'll feel great. 

Another nice thing about late summer climo is low humidity heat becomes more common as wavelengths start to change and zonal flow becomes stronger. We've been stuck under persistent SW mid and upper level flow for a while. Which is typical in august of course. Downsloping 90 in Sept is pretty tolerable. And even with highs in the low 90's it can drop into the upper 60's at night no problem. Let's hope persistent sw flow is a thing of the past starting next week. 

22 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The 4km NAM loves us.  But, NAM.

understood, but the HRRR and HRRRX have also consistently been putting down fairly decent widespread amounts with localized major amounts.   The location of the jackpot has been shifting around (not shocking), but I think it's pretty clear that the incoming shortwave interacting with the front and a lot of juice is going to produce a nice event.

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

understood, but the HRRR and HRRRX have also consistently been putting down fairly decent widespread amounts with localized major amounts.   The location of the jackpot has been shifting around (not shocking), but I think it's pretty clear that the incoming shortwave interacting with the front and a lot of juice is going to produce a nice event.

I'm hoping for the winter north trend.  I don't need to be jackpotted but a .5 - 1" event would be nice.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Wow that's it?  They popped a watch for that?  What's the run High Risk was talking about with the "major amounts"?  For reference my number for concern is 4" within 12 hours.

Think the watch is more for the *potential* of training storms which might not be being picked up great on the guidance. 4km NAM was printing out some lol amounts. 

58 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Hmm, doesn't seem all that bad.  What's the run High Risk was talking about with the "major amounts"?  For reference my number for concern is 4" within 12 hours.

I've been mostly looking at the HRRRX since this becomes operational next Tuesday, and one run earlier had a 4-5" max near Frederick.  Latest run is here. Stripe of 3-4" (with a small 5" max - hard to see) just north of DC.   I think the FFW is out since some of these areas got 3"+ Monday.

hrrr_east-us_01300_precip_ptot.gif

14 minutes ago, high risk said:

I've been mostly looking at the HRRRX since this becomes operational next Tuesday, and one run earlier had a 4-5" max near Frederick.  Latest run is here. Stripe of 3-4" (with a small 5" max - hard to see) just north of DC.   I think the FFW is out since some of these areas got 3"+ Monday.

hrrr_east-us_01300_precip_ptot.gif

Now, that is a more realistic precip distribution.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

In case anyone doesn't know, wxbell has the HRRR for free. I like their panels the best because you can zoom into our region. Here's the link for bookmarks if you don't have it already. 

http://weather.graphics/hrrr/hrrr_maryland.php

Latest run is total meh.  I don't think anyone hits an inch. :lol:

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived