Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If things stay on track, we're going to have dews in the 50's and low 60's from Mon through Sat next week. It's probably going to be the nicest week of pleasant summer weather we've had all season. I know our ACs will very much appreciate it. lol

This does seem a bit like the straw that broke the camel's back, or at least a significant step-down from miserable summer weather.  The entire GFS run after Sunday does not have widespread 2"+ PWATs .

This is so good:

USA_PWATI_clm_108.gif

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

This does seem a bit like the straw that broke the camel's back, or at least a significant step-down from miserable summer weather.  The entire GFS run after Sunday does not have widespread 2"+ PWATs .

This is so good:

It's really going to be a shock to the system (in a good way. lol) come Mon-Tues. The most recent stretch of heat was definitely worse than typical DC august heat. 

Ensembles have a nice look to them down the line. After the first shot we look to get kinda warm by the weekend but another shot is on the heels. Then a mean ridge builds out west d10-15.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

By the time we get to Sept, above normal days are still typically pleasant. I agree, it looks like the nasty stuff is over for good. We'll be tracking the first frost soon...lol

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's really going to be a shock to the system (in a good way. lol) come Mon-Tues. The most recent stretch of heat was definitely worse than typical DC august heat. 

Ensembles have a nice look to them down the line. After the first shot we look to get kinda warm by the weekend but another shot is on the heels. Then a mean ridge builds out west d10-15.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_nhem_12.png

By the time we get to Sept, above normal days are still typically pleasant. I agree, it looks like the nasty stuff is over for good. We'll be tracking the first frost soon...lol

Heat delayed at this point becomes heat denied.  Becomes decidedly more difficult to torch for extended periods after end of August.  Losing 2-1/2 minutes of dreadful sunshine per day!

FWIW, Accuwx shows the first foray into the 40s for Sep 17.  We're close, so close.

Ah I am getting excited for fall approaching -- great weather and football!  Next week looks beautiful.

It's been so hot lately that I had to bring in large pots of impatiens that were suffering despite being in shade and watered regularly.  I just put them back out last night after about a week and they look good again.

3 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Ah I am getting excited for fall approaching -- great weather and football!  Next week looks beautiful.

It's been so hot lately that I had to bring in large pots of impatiens that were suffering despite being in shade and watered regularly.  I just put them back out last night after about a week and they look good again.

Me too but man Petunias are hardy heat monsters 

since it's going to be hot I prefer to do battle with Great Heat. Not  in my business clothes or for general moving about but put on my gardening shorts, no shirt, get right in that 2pm 100* temp 112 heat index and do battle for 15 or so minutes then rest and water then repeat.  Victory as I am still alive and feel like I made it through something-it's a fantastic sweat and really cleans you out and makes the skin feel nice 

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

2012 is the king of big heat

2010 and 1980 are the kings of sustained heat

2011 and 2016 are the kings of heat/humidity (including gross overnight lows)

The 2010+ period has been exceptional, although admittedly some of the past few summers were piece of cake. I remember after 2012 I was sort of worried we'd made the leap and I don't know if we have but this summer reminds me that the this decade has been wild for warmth. 

This year could have done sustained if it started early. Actually, about as sustained as you'll see down the heart of summer. We just didn't really get going until after the 4th which is lateish for a huge year. 

2 individual week+ long stretches of 95+ at DC is a first in any year.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

The 2010+ period has been exceptional, although admittedly some of the past few summers were piece of cake. I remember after 2012 I was sort of worried we'd made the leap and I don't know if we have but this summer reminds me that the this decade has been wild for warmth. 

This year could have done sustained if it started early. Actually, about as sustained as you'll see down the heart of summer. We just didn't really get going until after the 4th which is lateish for a huge year. 

I think that is right about no previous two separate weeks of 95+ everyday

1980 may have done it and I think it was 1980 thst had two separate stretches of 90+ for 18+ consecutive days each time 

5 hours ago, Ian said:

I was thinking same at end of 2012 then it calmed down for 3 and now this.  Bright blue skies almost all the time now no matter how humid and maybe the sun can work on ground temps more than the hazy and polluted times past.

Have mowed once in the past 5 weeks here. Two-thirds through the month and my rain total is .65", with mot much the last week of July either. Just been missing everything lately... less than 10 miles to my north it looks like a lush, green, tropical rain-forest, while here my trees are dropping bunches of leaves. Kinda looks like fall with no color.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived