Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

10 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

84F for the high.  Couldn't even manage a -1F today.  

Pretty nice out now, though.

See the forecast now includes heat all the way through next Wednesday.  What happened to the reinforcing cool shots that were being discussed last week?  

9 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Wimpy airmass. We go from 90s for 45 days...then get a 2 day respite  of mid 80s then 90s for the next 10+ days. What corner did we turn? Looks like we're on the same road to me. Embrace the heat I guess. It will have to end sometime middle or end of September anyway.

Bob has some explaining to do!

:lol:

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Bob has some explaining to do!

:lol:

Ha! Aug climo is tough to defeat. The second front isn't going to make it through our area. Ridging to the south has consistently gotten stronger on guidance as we approached the current fropa. Still doesn't look like an extended streak of high humidity though. Some days will feel like typical HHH but we should get relief from high dews at times 

Now that the tropics have gotten busy I'm kinda glad. I'll gladly sacrifice cooler weather if we have a shot at mass destruction. 

I was nearly crying tears of happiness this morning as I walked to work. I live a few blocks from The Washington Post and their Weatherbug station had the low at 68 degrees. 

Though my feelings of elation are tempered by the quick return in the next 48 hours to what has become our miserable status quo this summer, temps > 90F and dew points at or above 20C (68F).  F*ck this goddamn summer hellhole.

8 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Ha! Aug climo is tough to defeat. The second front isn't going to make it through our area. Ridging to the south has consistently gotten stronger on guidance as we approached the current fropa. Still doesn't look like an extended streak of high humidity though. Some days will feel like typical HHH but we should get relief from high dews at times 

Now that the tropics have gotten busy I'm kinda glad. I'll gladly sacrifice cooler weather if we have a shot at mass destruction. 

Climo is right.  It's still mid August.  Were people expecting mid 60's for highs?  Frost?

As far as I know, it was never progged to be a -15 type airmass.  It was only a massive humidity change.  You don't get -15 days in summer.  Never have. You can get them in winter.  Not summer.

The type of game changers that everyone seems to want come in late September.....not August.

3 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Climo is right.  It's still mid August.  Were people expecting mid 60's for highs?  Frost?

As far as I know, it was never progged to be a -15 type airmass.  It was only a massive humidity change.  You don't get -15 days in summer.  Never have. You can get them in winter.  Not summer.

The type of game changers that everyone seems to want come in late September.....not August.

I would put Aug 23 as late Aug, but that is nit-picking.  The progged heat is not climo, however.  Climo would be mid 80s at this point, not the upcoming 7+ days of low (or mid, God-forbid) 90s.  No, it's not unprecedented for late August here, but it is still another extended stretch of well above normal temps.  No one expected, and no forecast predicted, cool temps, but it was anticipated that there would be a meaningful break of the heat, at least in duration.  At this point, many have had more than their fill of this heat, and that fleeting long-range forecast from last week got a lot of hopes up, only to be crushed.

7 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

OR......you could do what I did. Came out to CO for a few days to visit son, went to his work and ate dinner tonight.  Left with a light rain/snow mix falling and 41 degrees lol! Absolutely awesome. I'm hoping to see the peaks freshly whitened in the am.

7 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

OR......you could do what I did. Came out to CO for a few days to visit son, went to his work and ate dinner tonight.  Left with a light rain/snow mix falling and 41 degrees lol! Absolutely awesome. I'm hoping to see the peaks freshly whitened in the am.

Amazing.  Where is he, again?

2 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Amazing.  Where is he, again?

Works in Breckenridge, lives in Dillon. Woke up at 7 am to 41 and drizzle in the valley, couldn't see the peaks but web cams at 11K (E tunnel) show nothing but son has a few texts that above 12 there is snow on ground. At 9:40 still have drizzle and light rain and 43 degrees with peaks blocked off from the clouds.

I still have the text saved from July where son was complaining about locals bemoaning the 'heat', it was 82.

That was the day Denver hit 102.

9 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Works in Breckenridge, lives in Dillon. Woke up at 7 am to 41 and drizzle in the valley, couldn't see the peaks but web cams at 11K (E tunnel) show nothing but son has a few texts that above 12 there is snow on ground. At 9:40 still have drizzle and light rain and 43 degrees with peaks blocked off from the clouds.

I still have the text saved from July where son was complaining about locals bemoaning the 'heat', it was 82.

That was the day Denver hit 102.

Lucky kid.

Hard to fathom a city at nearly 6,000' can get that hot.  My brother lives in Aurora.  He had the misfortune of visiting here last week.  He won't be bemoaning CO heat again anytime soon.

9 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Divide over top of the Lincoln Tunnel. 

ptarmigan.jpg?time=1449005009279

5 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Yep, and the clouds have lifted, I can confirm the ground is white, at or above 12.5 line.  Not a lot, but it is white.......

Glad I came out, bonus early snow and nice temps on top of seeing son.

Take a drive up Hoosier pass and walk up to the snow line. IIRC it's a pretty tame hike at Hoosier compared to Loveland but it's 500' lower so it's prob a coin toss.  

Not surprising, but any cool-down in September has now been cancelled per Accuwx long-range.  A whopping total of 4 days forecast BN for the entire month, the largest being -3F.  No 90s showing up yet, but already plenty of mid 80s on tap.    Sure hope it is wrong, but usually these forecasts verify warmer than progged. 

12 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Not surprising, but any cool-down in September has now been cancelled per Accuwx long-range.  A whopping total of 4 days forecast BN for the entire month, the largest being -3F.  No 90s showing up yet, but already plenty of mid 80s on tap.    Sure hope it is wrong, but usually these forecasts verify warmer than progged. 

When somebody comes up with accurate 30 day forecasting, they are going to be very rich.

Besides, I'm for saving the massive precip totals and well below temps for Dec-Feb.

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Don't worry, January is almost 4 months away.

I would've said November or December, but last year they were just about as hot as it is right now.

I'm starting to feel just as frustrated as you with this heat s**t. Hopefully as we head in January things will cool off a little. I could hardly hear my Christmas music over my AC last year. 

Nasty, hot and humid. 88

8 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

When somebody comes up with accurate 30 day forecasting, they are going to be very rich.

Besides, I'm for saving the massive precip totals and well below temps for Dec-Feb.

Let September bake. Who cares. It is technically mostly a summer month anyway.

And lol at putting any faith in 30 day forecasts....esp from accuweather.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived