Newest Member
    Toothache
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

DCA still making a run at warmest August.  Needs today and tomorrow's highs and tomorrow's low to add up to 256.  So, 91, 74, 91 would round to a tie.

Since I've been miserable nearly the entire month, I would at least like to tie the record so that it wasn't all for nothing!

18 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's KY bluegrass and/or rye.  Yard was sodded before I bought the house, so it's well established.

Both of those are highly susceptible to drought.  You likely have some fescue in there as well.  Rye sucks IMO.  I love Bluegrass.  Great turf and can spread via rhizomes.  Fescue can't do that.  It can only spread from seed.

I don't think you'd be happy with warm season grass here.  I think the season is just too short.  But they are fantastic in the heat.

1 hour ago, arlwx said:

Still a chance, 74 at 5 am and a forecast of 91.

I think DCA dropped to 73 in between obs (in fact using Weatherbug/Wundermap, DCA is reporting 73 right now). We'll find out shortly when the 6 hourly min temp updates.  If indeed it did officially drop to 73, according to MN Transplant's post, DCA will need to hit 92 today to maintain the tie with August 1980. Certainly possible, but we may very well come up a degree or two short.

Monthly stats for Aug-

Avg high was 84.8 degrees, 1.4 degrees above the norm of 83.4

Avg low was 65.9 degrees, setting a new record for the month, beating old mark of 64.9 degrees set in 2007 and 3.2 degrees above norm of 62.6 degrees.

Avg for month 75.4 degrees, 2.4 degrees above the 73.0 degree norm.

High for month was 90.6 degrees on 14th, low for month was 55.2 set on 24th.

New record low high set on 8/9 of 69.1, beating old mark of 70 degrees from 1995.

New record high low set on 8/3 of 69.2, beating old mark of 69.0 degrees from 1988.

3.21 inches of rainfall, 16 days with measurable and 3 days with a 'T'.

Most rain in a day was 0.61 on 8/21.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived