Newest Member
    Toothache
Aug OBS / Discuss

EastCoast NPZ

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/22/2016 at 11:17 AM, MN Transplant said:

Hottest August on record is still in play at the airports.  DCA is +5 and needs to stay above +4.7.  IAD is +4.3 and needs to stay above +3.3.   BWI is +4.4 and needs to get above +5.0.

After this brief respite it looks like we mini-torch again as the normals fade to the mid-80s by the end of the month. 

Through the 28th with some nice +'s to come:

DCA: +4.5  (good chance at record)

BWI: +3.8  (little chance at record)

IAD: +4.0  (lock it up)

15 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I'm liking this no rain.  I'm sick of mowing and hope the grass goes on a month long nap.

Its been exactly 1 month since I last mowed. I am fine with it.

Once the leaves start coming down I will have to mow just to keep that under control, usually until  early December.

23 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

I think I mowed 1st week of Dec for a last leaf cleaning, but yeah the grass was still growing :wacko:

i remember having started my Christmas vacation and seeing my neighbors mowing the grass with Christmas decorations everywhere.  Utterly depressing.

I had to mow the weekend after T-day, after I'd already put up all the decorations.  The grass stayed greener through December than it is during summer.  Lot's of yards kept growing through Christmas.  Worst Christmas weather ever.

I must have had a lot more rain than most.  Since the late July rains I've mowed every 5 days and I'm cutting 3"+ off every time.  And I mow on the highest setting.  After mowing yesterday, I could see some signs of stress. You guys can have the rain.  I want dry for a month.

92.3. High of 93.8. Torture. Crispy grass but now my lawn is greener than April because all I have is LUSH crabgrass. Fertilizer timing was bad. Deluge after laying it down each time this season. I can go 3 weeks without rain but if I put fertilizer down it is guaranteed to rain within the hour. Even on clear days.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

92.3. High of 93.8. Torture. Crispy grass but now my lawn is greener than April because all I have is LUSH crabgrass. Fertilizer timing was bad. Deluge after laying it down each time this season. I can go 3 weeks without rain but if I put fertilizer down it is guaranteed to rain within the hour. Even on clear days.

All my efforts to feed, weed and insect block, and aerate to keep a nice-looking yard are wasted....almost every year.  By July (if not before) all my grass is burnt up and all that's left is weeds.  This year we got a couple-week reprieve at the end of July, but I am right back at the same point.  So f'in sick of it.

2 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

All my efforts to feed, weed and insect block, and aerate to keep a nice-looking yard are wasted....almost every year.  By July (if not before) all my grass is burnt up and all that's left is weeds.  This year we got a couple-week reprieve at the end of July, but I am right back at the same point.  So f'in sick of it.

Just don't do it.  It'll green up soon.

Everyone around here plants cool season grasses and then wonders why they don't do well when it gets hot.

Plant some Bermuda or Zoysia.  It'll love heat.

Of course, it'll be brown from October to May.

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just don't do it.  It'll green up soon.

Everyone around here plants cool season grasses and then wonders why they don't do well when it gets hot.

Plant some Bermuda or Zoysia.  It'll love heat.

Of course, it'll be brown from October to May.

I wish they'd sodded with those instead of what I guess is KY Bluegrass.  That and Rye seem to be what you find here.  I don't know about the water requirements for the two types you mentioned.

3 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

What variety of grass are you trying to grow?

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's KY bluegrass and/or rye.  Yard was sodded before I bought the house, so it's well established.

Not knowing the specifics of your area, I'd still guess you want to aerate and overseed with a tall fescue. KY bluegrass is known for its high maintenance and for the average residential homeowner, it's a difficult turf to maintain. It's been awhile since I've taken turf courses, but unless they've improved, I'm pretty sure I remember that rye grasses can burn up in summer pretty easily. If those are the two dominat varieties in your yard, it doesn't surprise me that you're struggling maintaining a healthy lawn through the summer.

Having said that, unless you water regularly in the mid Atlantic and also treat for summer fungicides, most everyone struggles in late July and August keeping their yard looking good. So before you go pouring more money and labor into a sinking ship, I'd find the closest turf farm to where you live and pay them a visit. I'd find out what they're growing and the maintenance schedule that they use. If you're lucky, they may sell their seed mix.

13 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

lol I go through this every year. Same thing. I am in the middle of the woods with a sandy/silty soil that drys up insanely fast. Plus too much competition from all the trees. Its futile to keep my yard looking good. Oh and moles too. I have decided to just do some sort of desert scape deal with stone and mulch areas and plant stuff that loves sun and dry soil. I will reduce my grass area to a small rectangle over my drain field, where it has a chance of staying green and surviving the mid summer furnace.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived