Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 Discussion/Obs

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

hey guys need your help. uniformity i need to live my parents to save money at the moment. i was watering the veggies and my dad flipped saying we had flooding rain. meanwhile thwy were away all weekend in PA, Can someone please post a precip map for the coast LAST 48?

From 7/30 at 3:31am until 8/1 10pm:

Zoomed in:

precip.png

whole okx area:

precip okx.png

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

hey guys need your help. uniformity i need to live my parents to save money at the moment. i was watering the veggies and my dad flipped saying we had flooding rain. meanwhile thwy were away all weekend in PA, Can someone please post a precip map for the coast LAST 48?

There were no flooding rains.

45 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

From 7/30 at 3:31am until 8/1 10pm:

Zoomed in:

precip.png

whole okx area:

precip okx.png

Wow!  That's amazing.  I'm in that dark gray zone in Northern NJ.  I had no idea we got this much since we were in Wildwood where it only rained briefly on Thursday night.

18 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Wow!  That's amazing.  I'm in that dark gray zone in Northern NJ.  I had no idea we got this much since we were in Wildwood where it only rained briefly on Thursday night.

It's doppler estimate, so take with a grain of salt.  I would confirm the estimated amounts with any total rainfall reports put out by OKX:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

2 hours ago, uofmiami said:

It's doppler estimate, so take with a grain of salt.  I would confirm the estimated amounts with any total rainfall reports put out by OKX:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Yeah, I agree.  Storm total for West Milford, which is slightly North of where I am, was 4.51 inches.  That doppler estimate is showing 5 inches for the area, so it may be slightly overdone.

7 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah, I agree.  Storm total for West Milford, which is slightly North of where I am, was 4.51 inches.  That doppler estimate is showing 5 inches for the area, so it may be slightly overdone.

That West Milford report was taken at 12:45pm on Sunday the 31st. I think there was more rain after that so it might be accurate. 

11 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A $5 rain gauge purchase would quickly settle these arguments in the future ;-) 

Like Bluewave has noted the first 9 days look to feature limited 90 degree heat potential aside from Sat/Sun in the warmer spots.  There is some persistent guidance that the period on/around Aug 9th that some sustained heat returns.   until then it looks fairly close to normal.

13 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That West Milford report was taken at 12:45pm on Sunday the 31st. I think there was more rain after that so it might be accurate. 

It definitely rained hard later on in the afternoon, so it wouldn't surprise me if we crested 5 inches.

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Some gorgeous weather coming up this week 

Oh yeah, incredible weather.  Low 80s, and pure sun with blue skies.  Can't get much better.

55 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

yes it can. it could be upper 90's with severe thunderstorms later in the afternoon like we had in july

3 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

It depends what kind of mood I'm in.  Sometimes I like 90s, and sometimes I like a few tranquil days in the low 80s.

It's all about the humidity to me. The lower the better. To each his own. 

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

59F this morning. Next heat wave should begin circa the 10th. 

The new GFS is harder to read, but while there could be some heat around then, it does not look as sustained as what we had. Some evidence that heat could come back near the end of the run, but that is really far out.

31 minutes ago, mattinpa said:

The new GFS is harder to read, but while there could be some heat around then, it does not look as sustained as what we had. Some evidence that heat could come back near the end of the run, but that is really far out.

verbatim, the big heat stays in the central states and we're on the edge of it.   Of course it's one model run and it's more than 5 days out.

Archived