Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Jonger said:

I'll be at Silver Lake, MI this coming week... So glad that I'll miss all the upper 80's there. The wind direction should allow lake Michigan to cool us down.

It should still be pretty warm up there and Lake Michigan is running above normal so the effects will be negligible.

13 minutes ago, Trent said:

Interesting streak developing at CLE, today is the 22nd consecutive day with a high temp above normal. The streak should continue through next weekend. 

At DTW, all but one of the past 22 days have featured high temps that were above normal, but today will be the 22nd day without a below average daily temp and the 22nd consecutive day with 80*F+ highs (which doesn't look to end any time soon).

7 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Entering the quietest time of year for the region for the next 8 weeks or so. Hoping for the rogue trough as Angry says for a little action.

Otherwise, I'm resigned to watching how far drought conditions creep west toward mby.

Remember the days when hurricanes hit the US and sometimes the remnants would come up this way?  Could always hope that happens again.

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Remember the days when hurricanes hit the US and sometimes the remnants would come up this way?  Could always hope that happens again.

I, for one, am enjoying the low gas prices, so let the hurricane drought continue forever and ever as far as I'm concerned.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

At DTW, all but one of the past 22 days have featured high temps that were above normal, but today will be the 22nd day without a below average daily temp and the 22nd consecutive day with 80*F+ highs (which doesn't look to end any time soon).

What's the record streak there for consecutive 80+ days? Wasn't that just set back in 2012?

CLE is also on day 22 of their 80+ streak, with no end in sight. Even more impressive is that it's actually an 83+ streak. 

1 hour ago, Trent said:

What's the record streak there for consecutive 80+ days? Wasn't that just set back in 2012?

CLE is also on day 22 of their 80+ streak, with no end in sight. Even more impressive is that it's actually an 83+ streak. 

The longest streak in this decade was 2011 with 45 days. 

2010 had a 27 day streak and 2012 had a 23 day streak.

This is the driest I have seen my yard in many years, hit stage1 moderate drought on the us drought monitor recently, almost all the grass in my yard is going dormant now (yay no mowing).... the corn / bean crops in the rural fields here have been looking so sad and wilted for a couple months now, it has to be killing crop yields. At least the low pressure coming around on friday gives a chance at some decent rains, really need a lot here. I'm glad I didn't bother to grow my garden this year after my young plants got nuked by some fungal disease in late may / early june...

Just back from a vacation in New Orleans and just missed seeing the EF-0 tornado in Treme near the French quarter by hours as I left that morning to travel north to the Natchez Trace.  My hotel view from the 22nd floor looked ne as the storm came sw and would have been a great vantage point.  And I wasn't even chasing! Darn!  Seems pleasantly cool here compared to upper 90's temps and upper 70's dews in NOLA. 

20 hours ago, IthielZ said:

With any luck we could have a streak of 4 days above 90 coming up at Detroit, which would push the seasonal total to a pretty impressive 21 days.

There's even an outside shot of 5 90*F+ days, if the fonr can slow down a bit on Saturday.

Lake breeze has ruled this summer outside our couple hot spells that weren't remotely impressive but maybe one day.  Every weekend has been perfect for the last month and a half.  Just an A+  all around summer even with getting missed by rain time and time again during that span.

Winter is going to rock.

Archived