joxey
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Man this forum really is dead.  Wow.  

Anyway, nice light show with some decent downpours in the last 15 min.  Gonna be a long and stormy night.

Need some active weather, nonsevere storms aren't going to cut it unfortunately. Unless someone starts getting some flooding rains of course. As for out this way, all we have is the heat.

On 8/10/2016 at 9:08 PM, Powerball said:

DTW achieved 98*F on 7/23.

It's the 3rd 95*F+ day and the 19th 90*F+ day of the season.

Detriot must have a similar heating effect that Rochester has which is only an hour drive away. They have had 19 90+ days so far this summer while Buffalo has had 6 I believe. We did hit 89 4-5 times though.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Man this forum really is dead.  Wow.  

Anyway, nice light show with some decent downpours in the last 15 min.  Gonna be a long and stormy night.

I have been away from it for awhile (7 week old plus boring weather) and expected to need to take a long time getting caught up. Reviewed 3 weeks worth of posts in 15 minutes, haha.

Dews made things real soupy today until decaying showers knocked them back a bit. Looking forward to some rain. 

5 hours ago, Powerball said:

Today would have definitely been a good candidate for a Heat Advisory. DET has 5 consecutive hours of heat indices between 98*F and 103*F.

More of the same for Friday...wonder if any offices will actually issue anything. More than half the sites in OH saw their heat index exceed 100F at some point on Thursday. I think 100+ heat index values in OH were more widespread than the hyped up heat wave in July that sort of turned into a dud when heat advisories/warnings were issued. Given the prolonged nature of the heat this week and minimal relief at night, I agree that it would've been a good candidate for some heat headlines.

27 minutes ago, OHweather said:

More of the same for Friday...wonder if any offices will actually issue anything. More than half the sites in OH saw their heat index exceed 100F at some point on Thursday. I think 100+ heat index values in OH were more widespread than the hyped up heat wave in July that sort of turned into a dud when heat advisories/warnings were issued. Given the prolonged nature of the heat this week and minimal relief at night, I agree that it would've been a good candidate for some heat headlines.

Today was brutal, especially with the crappy air quality across parts of Michigan . 

I'm getting a sandwich job, drought to my northeast, flooding rains to my south.

DROUGHT INFORMATION STATEMENT...CORRECTED OSU LINK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
837 PM EDT THU AUG 11 2016

...SEVERE DROUGHT CONDITIONS DEVELOP ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST 
OHIO...

OVERVIEW...
THE U.S. DROUGHT MONITOR HAS DOWNGRADED PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST 
OHIO FROM A MODERATE DROUGHT (D1) TO A SEVERE DROUGHT (D2). THIS
INCLUDES PORTIONS OF VAN WERT AND ALLEN COUNTIES.

OTHER PARTS OF NORTHWEST OHIO INTO NORTHEAST AND NORTH CENTRAL 
INDIANA IS CLASSIFIED AS MODERATE DROUGHT (D1) OR ABNORMALLY DRY 
HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
440 PM EDT THU AUG 11 2016

...HEAVY RAINFALL AND FLOODING POSSIBLE THIS WEEKEND INTO EARLY
NEXT WEEK...

Several rounds of showers and thunderstorms will move across
central Indiana this weekend and into early next week as a cold
front becomes nearly stationary over the region. The front will
interact with an upper level disturbance and deep tropical
moisture to produce the potential for heavy rainfall. The greatest
threat for heavy rainfall and flooding will be across the
southern half of central Indiana Saturday and Sunday possibly
lingering into early next week.

3 to 4 inches of rainfall is possible over central Indiana
through Sunday...with locally higher amounts possible across
areas along and south of the Interstate 70 corridor. Additional
rainfall will likely cause flooding...especially along creeks and
streams and in low-lying and poor drainage areas. Flooding along
the Wabash...White and East Fork of the White Rivers will be
possible next week.

At this time...forecast confidence is high that heavy rain will
fall over parts of central Indiana this weekend. Confidence is
lower in the specific location of the heaviest rainfall at this
time...but that will grow over the next day or two as the event
nears.

1 minute ago, RobertSul said:

With the NAM and RAP showing PWAT values between 2.3 and 2.6 for parts of SE Michigan this afternoon/evening, isn't there a higher risk for flash flooding?

Yep.

Severe weather threat is there too with the decent amount of daytime heating we're getting.

18 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Thick cloud cover, who cares, still hit 92 at noon at DTW... Imagine if we were full sunshine and not as humid. We'd be easily above 100.

Wow.

95*F+ should be a lock as the low stratus continues to lift/mix out.

EDIT: Huge mistake by DTX to not issue any type of excessive heat headlines IMO. Heat indices already approaching / exceeding 100*F.

2 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Why? It's been an awesome summer.

Not too bad. I work outside and I prefer not being miserable. Unless you spend a lot of time boating and swimming, why would you want excessive heat? Isn't low 70's far more enjoyable? 

Just now, Jonger said:

Not too bad. I work outside and I prefer not being miserable. Unless you spend a lot of time boating and swimming, why would you want excessive heat? Isn't low 70's far more enjoyable? 

Borderline jacket weather to me. I don't mind the heat unless it's excessive, and even then, I'll take it any day over the cold.

8 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Borderline jacket weather to me. I don't mind the heat unless it's excessive, and even then, I'll take it any day over the cold.

Jacket weather rocks... I was settling on low 70's, but low 60's would be even better.

Archived