Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

For his area naso much. Up this way and into Canada it has been pretty bad up until this past week.

Yes it was quite dry in southern Ontario until last week. We've had more rain this week alone (about 3") than we'd had since the start of June. I almost forgotten what green grass looked like. 

Still a pretty big precip deficit for the summer though and it all came far too late to help the crops. 

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Buffalo has actually made it to extreme drought territory. Do you guys know if there is a drought database to see how many times we've hit this in the past?

U.S. Drought Monitor forNortheast

There's an archive on the drought monitor site, which I think goes back to 1999 or 2000.

first fall like system this weekend with some decent winds expected on the backside and some cool air.  noticing more trees turning here in the higher terrain of the Huron's as well.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't crack 60 tomorrow.  winds should also mix out some of the warmer surface water of superior, which is 2012 warm this year.

Getting annihilated with heavy rain again today. Iroquois and Kankakee counties the epicenter again. Some places in Iroquois County have had/will have 12"+ since last Monday. Never seen anything like this, considering it's now two summers in a row of truly exceptional/excessive/historic rainfall in these areas. Pretty unbelievable...and pretty awful.    

A little over a half inch of rain late last night through this afternoon.  Just under 5" for the month now.

Nice first hint of fall this afternoon, as we have gusty northwest winds, deep blue skies, and dews under 65 for the first time in what seems like eons.  Point has 50 for tomorrow night.  Really looking forward to a nice cool morning.  This amazon crap got old several weeks ago.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Those isolated, convective showers over southern MN/northern IA remind me of a nice snow squall setup in the cool season.  Looks just like it on satellite.  Freezing level is under 10kft in southern MN this afternoon, with surface temps in the lower 60s in many locals.  

One of the rawest August days I can remember. Those convective showers dropped some  heavy rains too. Speaking of snow, only about 2 months away from the first flakes on average. 

15 hours ago, weatherbo said:

first fall like system this weekend with some decent winds expected on the backside and some cool air.  noticing more trees turning here in the higher terrain of the Huron's as well.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't crack 60 tomorrow.  winds should also mix out some of the warmer surface water of superior, which is 2012 warm this year.

Going to be a good winter for you this year I think. After this warm summer I'm ready for fall to come a few weeks early this year I think. Winter is a close 2nd behind my favorite season summer but there is just so many great things about Fall as well.

Many locations around this area hit 90 again today with sun all day. Walking around the Erie county fair all day was brutal.

12 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I'm mowing outside with a crisp 68F and loving it. Bye bye heat.

I wouldn't write off the heat completely, the pattern still favors warmth with the ridging in the SE especially on the Euro. Plus at this point 85+ is 5 above normal for the highs so we wouldn't even need to be in the 90s to be much above normal.

9 hours ago, Stebo said:

I wouldn't write off the heat completely, the pattern still favors warmth with the ridging in the SE especially on the Euro. Plus at this point 85+ is 5 above normal for the highs so we wouldn't even need to be in the 90s to be much above normal.

As long as we stay at/above 64*F through midnight, even today won't be a below normal for DTW.

You know it's been a hot Summer when a day with a barely negative departure (at best) is considered a relief. :lol: 

22 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Low of 49 this morning really gave hints that fall is on it's way. Looks like a week of above normal temps save and the GEFS basically has above normal temp anomalies from the 28th through until the end of its run, so looks like a gradual transition to fall at least.

Good. Time to start getting outside and enjoy the weather again.

Archived