• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

Getting lucky for 3rd day in a row, as there are very heavy downpours in every direction, but not a single drop here.  Drove a few miles south of town into the torrential rain.  Ditches were full of water, and water was running over the road in a few areas.  Back into to town a few mins later and bone dry.  Kinda cool.  Flash flood warning out just east and south.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Getting lucky for 3rd day in a row, as there are very heavy downpours in every direction, but not a single drop here.  Drove a few miles south of town into the torrential rain.  Ditches were full of water, and water was running over the road in a few areas.  Back into to town a few mins later and bone dry.  Kinda cool.  Flash flood warning out just east and south.

I drove to Chicago and back today.  I was not expecting any rain, but ended up driving through a gauntlet of storms on the way back late this afternoon and evening.  I hit the first storm just before Rochelle on I88.  While it was raining, my windshield wiper broke and stopped working.  Luckily, I was within a mile of the Rochelle exit so I was able to stop at Walmart and get another wiper.  It's a good thing this happened then and not later after dark out in the middle of nowhere.  If my wiper had not failed I would have driven into very heavy rain sw of Rochelle, but it fizzled while I was getting the new wiper.  I thought maybe I was done with rain, but after crossing the river storms blew up all over.  I80 ended up in between most of the heavy cells.  There was lightning all around, which made the drive much less boring than usual.  Just as I reached I380 near Iowa City and turned north, the sky unleashed.  It was difficult to see so all the traffic had to slow down.  Then, in an instant, it was bone dry.  It was definitely a bubbly, hit-n-miss event.  When I reached Rochelle, the median and side ditches were filling with water and main street in town had a lot of ponding water.  Five minutes after leaving Rochelle it looked like it had not rained at all.  Then, another five minutes and the ditches were full of water again.  As I passed Erie it was bone dry again.  It was a very interesting drive home.

6 hours ago, Jonger said:

How low do you keep the AC in your office?

I just have a fan a few feet away. I do know the negatives to a very humid summer like sleep suffering and uncomfortable conditions for exercise and working. I felt some heat stress a few times when there were some long heatwaves in progress. AC was pretty much required in at least some places. Overall the heat was a net positive as I'm not as depressed. I went out this evening just around 7:30 pm and I felt cold with the breeze and sun getting low - others thought it was hot at the time. It was about 21ºC feeling like 28C.

6 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Torchageddon, you have the most appropriate username of any one in the subforum.

Yep.

1 hour ago, Torchageddon said:

I just have a fan a few feet away. I do know the negatives to a very humid summer like sleep suffering and uncomfortable conditions for exercise and working. I felt some heat stress a few times when there were some long heatwaves in progress. AC was pretty much required in at least some places. Overall the heat was a net positive as I'm not as depressed. I went out this evening just around 7:30 pm and I felt cold with the breeze and sun getting low - others thought it was hot at the time. It was about 21ºC feeling like 28C.

Yep.

I totally get why most people like warmth more than cold, but not many people prefer 90's over upper 70's or low 80's. It's just tough on people who work outside. I'm a winter sports fan, but even I don't want extreme cold. Give me a high of 28F and a low of 15F and that works for me. This month hasn't even been that hot,  I have only hit 90 four times this month, it's the humidity that has been tough.  

11 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I totally get why most people like warmth more than cold, but not many people prefer 90's over upper 70's or low 80's. It's just tough on people who work outside. I'm a winter sports fan, but even I don't want extreme cold. Give me a high of 28F and a low of 15F and that works for me. This month hasn't even been that hot,  I have only hit 90 four times this month, it's the humidity that has been tough.  

Yeah I'm with you. I could work in the 90s but it would get old quite fast. I work in an AC office so it's not to bad. I do not have AC at my house so sleeping at night has been brutal all year. I check the thermostat and when I go to bed it has been 78-85 in here every night all summer so it has been quite difficult to get good sleep.  I love the heat and sun in the summer, especially on days I go out on the water/beach. But like you said low-mid 80s with a light breeze and sun is my idle summer weather for outdoor activities.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I'm with you. I could work in the 90s but it would get old quite fast. I work in an AC office so it's not to bad. I do not have AC at my house so sleeping at night has been brutal all year. I check the thermostat and when I go to bed it has been 78-85 in here every night all summer so it has been some absolutely brutal nights for sleeping. I love the heat and sun in the summer, especially on days I go out on the water/beach. But like you said low-mid 80s with a light breeze and sun is my idle summer weather for outdoor activities.

The one nice thing about fall heat, it does tend to be more dry. I go in and out of freezers all day, it just sucks to have condensation on my skin. Yes, it does happen!

In all honesty, summer feels in the past here but it was a warm one for sure, and Superior is reflecting that.  Although no official 90 readings at MQT or imy, the interior did reach 90 a few times.  It was warmer and more humid than last summer.  I'd have to check for sure, but I think I had 22 days in the 80's this met Summer.  The humidity and bugs made the woods unbearable at times.

Possibility of upper 30's later this week, along with the longer afternoon shadows and changing leaves will only enhance the fall feel in the air and I'm more than ready.

Can see how the warmest anomalies have tended to be in the eastern part of the subforum, especially evident in July and August.

In general, I think the way to characterize this summer would be that what was lacking in terms of temperature departures farther west was made up for with more persistent muggy conditions.  I recall a number days this summer where it was very muggy in western/central portions with drier air farther east.

Jun16TDeptUS.png

Jul16TDeptMRCC.png

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

60dTDeptMRCC.png

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Can see how the warmest anomalies have tended to be in the eastern part of the subforum, especially evident in July and August.

In general, I think the way to characterize this summer would be that what was lacking in terms of temperature departures farther west was made up for with more persistent muggy conditions.  I recall a number days this summer where it was very muggy in western/central portions with drier air farther east.

Jun16TDeptUS.png

Jul16TDeptMRCC.png

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

60dTDeptMRCC.png

That matches up fairly well with the precipitation anomalies we were seeing until a couple weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

2002, 2005, 2010 were all hotter than 2016 at the Howell airport. Not by a lot, but enough to fend off a record.(we aren't a climate site)

This has been a summer with warm minimums. I have never seen my windows foggier in the morning than this summer. High temps have been less than impressive. I think my warmest day this summer was only 93.

9 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

More soakers popping up all around early this afternoon.  Will we get lucky for a 4th day in a row?  Odds are against it lol.

Incorrect.  Somehow we avoided it completely again.  Goose eggs for the day.  We could have easily been over 10" for the month if we would have gotten into one of these heavy downpours the past 4 days.  Was up in Lyndon earlier today, and there was still large areas of standing water in ditches from yesterday's heavy rain.

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yep.  This summer hasn't been anything out of the ordinary temp wise here.  Only had a few days in the mid 90s way back in June, and less than 20 days AOA 90.  Wasn't a cool summer, but wasn't a hot summer either.  I'd classify it as very humid, warm, and very rainy.  3rd summer in a row without intense heat, which I consider to be upper 90s and above.  2013 was the last summer that delivered that kind of intense heat for this area.

4 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

First time in a long time that a storm has woken me. Just getting pounded with heavy rain and vivid lightning 

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Make that a 5th time in a row.  2-3" again this morning just to the south and east.  0.11" here, to bring us to 7.49" for the month.  Some areas nearby have to be near a foot of rain by now.

Finally got stuck under one of the storms. 2.23" in less than two hours. 

Currently sitting at 77.7 for an average August temperature which is +3.9. 5.29" of rain for the month, which is +2.19" and has basically erased the deficit for the year.

ILN tweeted some interesting CMH stats last week (8/1 through 8/21): Average minimum temperature: 69.9 (+5.8) and only 1 sub 60F low (normal is 8).

Archived