Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IthielZ said:

We have quietly have had a very hot summer. 20+ is pretty much a lock at this point.

It hasn't even been all that hot to be honest, as we've haven't had much extreme heat / humidity (to put things in perspective, the dry Summer of 2012 had nine 95*F+ days).

It's just been consistently warm, dry and Sunny. Other than the sheer lack of severe weather, I'm ok with that.

This Summer will probably get no less than a B (as a final grade) in my book.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That is incredible heat. We don't get anything like that at our airport. Have to go farther inland away from the lake to get that kind of heat.

In addition to not having a lake to the west of us and the drier than normal grounds that are allowing things to heat up more efficiently, Detroit also benefits from the downsloping off the Irish Hills. 

michigan-topographic-map.jpg

5 minutes ago, Powerball said:

In addition to not having a lake to the west of us and the drier than normal grounds that are allowing things to heat up more efficiently, Detroit also benefits from the downsloping off the Irish Hills. 

michigan-topographic-map.jpg

Is that why areas just to the West/NW of Detriot receive so much more snow in winter? What is the elevation in the darker reds/purples?

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Is that why areas just to the West/NW of Detriot receive so much more snow in winter? What is the elevation in the darker reds/purples?

Yep.

Detroit's elevation is about 600ft, so I believe the elevation in the purple areas are like 1200ft or so. dmc76 would be able to confirm for sure. 

The dew point at Toledo was 76 for an hour today, which is obviously linked to the near-record precipitable water values at Detroit. Even with so much moisture around, the U.S. Drought Monitor classified 15% of Ohio as D2 (severe drought) today. I would expect some of the D2 and D1 areas in Ohio will get erased by next week's Drought Monitor (or in 2 weeks). The WPC 7-day precip is still quite high for the Ohio Valley. In fact, the 7-day precip expected for southeast Missouri is 8" !!!

Got stuck under one of those pop up thunderstorms, and although it didn't look too impressive on radar and was only a few miles in diameter, that was a truly torrential downpour for a few minutes. Not surprising with the amount of moisture in the atmosphere.

I'm shocked that we made 90 after those storms rolled through, much less 95.

1 hour ago, IthielZ said:

Got stuck under one of those pop up thunderstorms, and although it didn't look too impressive on radar and was only a few miles in diameter, that was a truly torrential downpour for a few minutes. Not surprising with the amount of moisture in the atmosphere.

I'm shocked that we made 90 after those storms rolled through, much less 95.

DET also got caught under one of those heavy rain showers, but not before it rallied to 90*F at noon.

Even then, after falling back to around 80*F through 2pm, it recovered to 91*F or 92*F.

I'm lovin' it, frankly. 

Archived