Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.67".

Some nice training over the past few hours. Pretty impressive for my valley location.

Zero point zero.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Same here, shutout.

T-storms to the S, T-storms to the N and here I am, stuck in the middle with you (and MPM).

I would have been happy to even get the ground wet but we literally got 90 seconds of light rain.

wxeyeNH probably got ripped earlier. Tiny cell went through Bridgewater, but I think a microburst was likely the culprit of quite a few trees and wires down.

That tiny cell developed about 20 miles to my south and moved directly over me.  A few claps of thunder and some gusty winds.  I only recorded a peak gust of 33mph and .16" of rain.  I heard that Rt 3A at Whittamore Shore Road was closed due to downed trees.  That is only 1/2 mile to my due west.  I didn't have any branches down or hail etc.  Here is a time lapse of the cell as hit developed and passed overhead.  https://video.nest.com/clip/4afe5133b91e4f3293802ce7c68d67b7.mp4

After the cell passd to the north the main line came through with quite a bit of lightning and rain.  Just training cells which happily is overproducing for a change. (Sorry Brian your missing out).  I'm over .60" with the main line and still moderate rain is falling so this will be a .75" plus event! 

That tiny cell developed about 20 miles to my south and moved directly over me.  A few claps of thunder and some gusty winds.  I only recorded a peak gust of 33mph and .16" of rain.  I heard that Rt 3A at Whittamore Shore Road was closed due to downed trees.  That is only 1/2 mile to my due west.  I didn't have any branches down or hail etc.  Here is a time lapse of the cell as hit developed and passed overhead.  https://video.nest.com/clip/4afe5133b91e4f3293802ce7c68d67b7.mp4

After the cell passd to the north the main line came through with quite a bit of lightning and rain.  Just training cells which happily is overproducing for a change. (Sorry Brian your missing out).  I'm over .60" with the main line and still moderate rain is falling so this will be a .75" plus event! 

Awesome timelapse there. From the sounds of it, it was a really localized microburst.

2.67".

Some nice training over the past few hours. Pretty impressive for my valley location.

Damn that's a good deal of rain...you may "win" the New England CoCoRAHS game in the morning haha.

Your west slope location at near 1,000ft there is probably perfect for summer storms. Those things always blow up and dump water as they enter SVT and head for the high terrain. Growing up near Albany, Bennington County was always the winner for t-storms it seemed.

post-656-0-47153600-1467445496_thumb.jpg

This picture along with the other two were taken around 4:50pm on rt 22/55 near Wingdale, NY. Looks ominous, could've been a funnel but I didn't get a good enough view. It looked scuddy at the time. That would be the spot though, looks like the RFD/clearing on the left side of the picture?

post-656-0-02791800-1467445523_thumb.png

This was taken at 4pm, shortly after the cell crossed the Hudson, somewhere southeast of KPOU. At this point there was a lot of motion going on and what appeared to be a brief roped out funnel.

We should all know the drill. If we compare our Severe weather events to amusement parks, it would go like this. Northeast severe is like Rye Playland, or Canobie Lake Park, moderate thrills and smaller. Midwest severe is like 6 Flags, extreme thrill, bigger and more scary. Early to middle Spring in New England is usually the no rides, cheap admission.

attachicon.gif20160701_164916.jpg

This picture along with the other two were taken around 4:50pm on rt 22/55 near Wingdale, NY. Looks ominous, could've been a funnel but I didn't get a good enough view. It looked scuddy at the time. That would be the spot though, looks like the RFD/clearing on the left side of the picture?

attachicon.giffunnel.png

This was taken at 4pm, shortly after the cell crossed the Hudson, somewhere southeast of KPOU. At this point there was a lot of motion going on and what appeared to be a brief roped out funnel.

In that top photo, what direction was the storm moving? Left to right?

If so, you may have something there.

It's a D11 forecast but it's awfully pretty to look at! Looks like Ekster is running the GFS from his basement. 

Triple bunner of the day.

Who doesn't love 8+ 700-500 lapse rates? I suspect Ekster is already writing the third edition of his EML paper on this event.

Like this...

attachicon.gif2016-07-04_7-59-22.png

post-656-0-12356700-1467665006_thumb.png

Left to right.  I was just past the 22/55 split trying to approach/chase from the SW as the storm headed ENE.  If I had set up at KPOU instead of 5 miles north I'd have been in a much better spot to keep up initially.  I was so frustrated, probably could've caught better video/pictures and definitive proof.

as we enter a predominately warmer than normal few days here, the westerlies will be edging N in latitude.  that sort of puts the upper MV/Lakes into NE in the firing line - so to speak - for MCS'...

I also wonder if that thursday's heat breaks on friday with a convection day... reprieve for a day and half than the heat rolls back in... 

attachicon.gif448.png

Left to right.  I was just past the 22/55 split trying to approach/chase from the SW as the storm headed ENE.  If I had set up at KPOU instead of 5 miles north I'd have been in a much better spot to keep up initially.  I was so frustrated, probably could've caught better video/pictures and definitive proof.

Based on radar presentation and your location, I would say at worst you saw a wall cloud. 

Saturday looks dangerous on the surface...

deeper analysis/discrete may demo otherwise, but that looks like either an EML or EML/hybrid air mass with huge lower tropospheric DP and diabatic heating potential, combined with near cyclonic direction shear components to work with.  V-max approaches from the W with acceleration at and above 700mb... ?

okay.   

yeah the gfs is 12 hours too fast but when is that model not.

the Euro looks like:  big CAPE, mlv wind acceleration, cooling mlv heights with approaching S/W... none of this too early in the day crap, either.  christ if i saw that in the Plains i'd be thinking long track meso's

Saturday looks dangerous on the surface...

deeper analysis/discrete may demo otherwise, but that looks like either an EML or EML/hybrid air mass with huge lower tropospheric DP and diabatic heating potential, combined with near cyclonic direction shear components to work with.  V-max approaches from the W with acceleration at and above 700mb... ?

okay.   

yeah the gfs is 12 hours too fast but when is that model not.

the Euro looks like:  big CAPE, mlv wind acceleration, cooling mlv heights with approaching S/W... none of this too early in the day crap, either.  christ if i saw that in the Plains i'd be thinking long track meso's

Just mentioned similar thoughts in the banter thread.

I'm less concerned with timing issues at the moment, since we're still several days out. I like the players on the table though.

From the banter thread...

Sneaky severe threat possible Saturday in the Northeast?

Just running through my low level theta-e lapse rate progs and see a nice plume of > 4 K/km working north ahead of a pretty stout shortwave. Modest wind field, but should be enough turning for 30-40 knots shear and organization.

Now if only the GFS and Euro were within 300 miles of each other regarding location of that plume. Wiz better hope the GFS is right or it may be another meltdown. 

From the banter thread...

Ha!  pretty much echoes my thoughts there precisely - yeah....  

obviously convection is fragile around here.  it seems to have some climo markers too - like, the idea of possible morning conveciton associated with diffused warm boundary and leaving a pig SRH in position as that moves off and exposes the region to diabatic heating in theta-e rich environment.   

heh, we'll just have to see if 4 days is too early for the models to maintain a signal -

Ha!  pretty much echoes my thoughts there precisely - yeah....  

obviously convection is fragile around here.  it seems to have some climo markers too - like, the idea of possible morning conveciton associated with diffused warm boundary and leaving a pig SRH in position as that moves off and exposes the region to diabatic heating in theta-e rich environment.   

heh, we'll just have to see if 4 days is too early for the models to maintain a signal -

post-44-0-20880800-1467731802_thumb.png

GFS a tad veered (vicinity of ASH) for any real tornado potential, but plenty to work with in that sounding.

I'm finding model progged 700-500 lapse rates are rather poor for Saturday, but I'm thinking the tendency for overall lower heights across the region may be to blame for that. If you even do 850-500 lapse rates you gain at least an extra degree per km. 

attachicon.gifgfs_2016070506_108_42.75--71.5.png

GFS a tad veered (vicinity of ASH) for any real tornado potential, but plenty to work with in that sounding.

I'm finding model progged 700-500 lapse rates are rather poor for Saturday, but I'm thinking the tendency for overall lower heights across the region may be to blame for that. If you even do 850-500 lapse rates you gain at least an extra degree per km. 

Could be good up your way. I think for a large chunk of SNE the timing is just off. Friday is too far west and Saturday is too far east. 

Thursday could be a mess with a lot of non-severe convection and maybe some flash flooding? 

Archived