• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

SREF mean has about 1500 J/kg of ML Cape, 2000 MU Cape, and about 33 knots of Effective Shear at BDL by late afternoon.  Mesos indicate highest Cape generally across the western high terrain with the SSW flow.  Probably see the line at its strongest out there before coming down a notch or two near the 91 corridor south of MA 90 near Springfield and Hartford and steadily weakening east of the CT river valley as convective inhibition will be quite pronounced with the strong ocean flow.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup that was the same day. It wasn't sunny that day either. When it hit was like 76/75

That was an odd storm evolution. The storm to the north the one that moved NE of you toward Union looked better. It was the later storm that moved east from Marlborough that produced the tornado. Good video/pics from that one too. 

Just now, CT Rain said:

That was an odd storm evolution. The storm to the north the one that moved NE of you toward Union looked better. It was the later storm that moved east from Marlborough that produced the tornado. Good video/pics from that one too. 

Yeah the one that moved over me formed to the south and moved NNE. The one that hit Coventry and Mansfield that produced the Tor looked really good I remember on radar. That was about 90 minutes after the one that moved thru here

6 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

CIPS going full :weenie: today

2016-07-14_3-52-30.png

question:

are those values in that far right "Final" column based upon 'best fit', or are they based upon some other criteria where they are absolute?? 

i'm wondering because today does not remind me of the day's in question.  best fit would supply and an answer - as in, today sucks but if the technology had to find SOMEthing to fit it, i guess that could...   heh

Heavy rainfall is definitely the main player today with a few sporadic wind damage reports perhaps.  Lapse rates are awful and that combined with extensive clouds has yielded weak MLcape.  However, there are some breaks of sun so with stronger heating these values could boost a bit.  With the poor lapse rates though and higher PWATS cape profiles will remain quite skinny.  This combined with the lack of stronger forcing will make it difficult for storms to become severe or least least when/if they do reach those levels it would be rather brief due to the weak forcing.  The cape/shear will compensate some but there isn't much in play to help updrafts remained sustained and and separate from downdrafts.  Looks like the most widespread activity will remain north and west with dying activity moving in towards evening.  maybe a strong to severe cell for W MA or NW CT

Heavy rainfall is definitely the main player today with a few sporadic wind damage reports perhaps.  Lapse rates are awful and that combined with extensive clouds has yielded weak MLcape.  However, there are some breaks of sun so with stronger heating these values could boost a bit.  With the poor lapse rates though and higher PWATS cape profiles will remain quite skinny.  This combined with the lack of stronger forcing will make it difficult for storms to become severe or least least when/if they do reach those levels it would be rather brief due to the weak forcing.  The cape/shear will compensate some but there isn't much in play to help updrafts remained sustained and and separate from downdrafts.  Looks like the most widespread activity will remain north and west with dying activity moving in towards evening.  maybe a strong to severe cell for W MA or NW CT

He's not that big...just mentioned a few things to watch for.  Several ingredients there but we're also lacking some big ingredients.  

Having juicy icy capes are nice but you need more than just cape.  What I've come to learn is forcing is probably the biggest role player in everything 

Archived