• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

Could be good up your way. I think for a large chunk of SNE the timing is just off. Friday is too far west and Saturday is too far east. 

Thursday could be a mess with a lot of non-severe convection and maybe some flash flooding? 

There has been a low amplitude signal on the SPC SREF for severe somewhere in New England (mostly north) Thursday.

I'm also guessing timing shifts between now and the weekend.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been a low amplitude signal on the SPC SREF for severe somewhere in New England (mostly north) Thursday.

I'm also guessing timing shifts between now and the weekend.

Yeah I'm sure the Friday/Saturday deal will shift. I just always hate seeing Pittsburgh and Buffalo under the gun (like on Friday) - it tends to be a bad omen for CT/W Mass/VT unless we can manage some nocturnal or daybreak stuff.

SREF means on Thursday afternoon for BDL printing out ~1000 j/kg of MLCAPE and ~30 knots of effective shear. Not bad. With some QG forcing I think we could have somewhat widespread convection given that shortwave and height falls moving through just after 18z. 

Yeah I'm sure the Friday/Saturday deal will shift. I just always hate seeing Pittsburgh and Buffalo under the gun (like on Friday) - it tends to be a bad omen for CT/W Mass/VT unless we can manage some nocturnal or daybreak stuff.

Most of my childhood memories of severe weather involved a great radar near BGM, followed by Wiz level disappointment with whatever crossed Narragansett Bay after sunset. 

SREF means on Thursday afternoon for BDL printing out ~1000 j/kg of MLCAPE and ~30 knots of effective shear. Not bad. With some QG forcing I think we could have somewhat widespread convection given that shortwave and height falls moving through just after 18z. 

NAM could use a little more oomph in the wind field around BDL

post-44-0-75420800-1467739186_thumb.png

But color me intrigued for northern NH

post-44-0-53581100-1467739225_thumb.png

it really is remarkable watching these model cycles churn out products that smack of deliberately engineering ways NOT to do convection or heat up this way... fascinating. 

it's like model verification scores are horrible for over pricing heat and thunder in new england, so instead of improving them...they just stick a coefficient butt bang variables on the outside of their physical algorithms ... because one way or the other, we're getting screwed ...so what difference does it make how?

haha.  j/k of course... 

Euro also has 60s with an easterly wind on Saturday. That's ugly. 

yeah ...didn't get into the physical description of that but yup - that's a nightmare opposite look to the 00z run (in terms of 'punching into to the party')

The front really just appears to be sharpening in place. No significant movement one way or another, until you get to the Hudson where temps and dews are climbing. 

Pretty ripe over CT already, yet lows 60s/upper 50s dews are hanging out near the MA/NH border.

Archived