• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

The evening before the FROPA is always the most uncomfortable... BTV pegging the front to come through around midnight.

Its 78/60 at the local PWS at 9:20pm...10 degrees higher than it was at this time yesterday. No radiational cooling with the southerly flow ahead of the FROPA. Even turned the AC on in the living room, probably run it an hour just to take the bite out of it. Then let the cold front do its job later tonight.

June_20.gif

such an odd season, pretty comfortable here, no AC

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

such an odd season, pretty comfortable here, no AC

In all reality its not that uncomfortable, lol.  The wife just left all the shades open and the living room took full sun all day long (floor to ceiling windows on south/east sides) with no air circulation...but yeah 70s with dews just tickling 60F shouldn't be that big of a deal, lol. 

I guess we got spoiled with the dews in the 30s this week and dry air making even 80s feel nice with breeze.

Over-the-top heat pattern though, definitely a little warmer up this way even at elevation than down your way.  BTV now tied with BDL for 90 degree days with 4 this season.

Looks like even near 1,200ft at MPV hit 86F while your way the IJD only hit 83F.  IJD running 7-8F cooler right now than MVL/MPV last hour.  We aren't dropping till that FROPA moves through with the increasing SWly jet ahead of it...its still near 70F at the picnic tables at 4kft.

Tomorrow's forecast calls for highs in the mid-70s so back to Chamber of Commerce weather.  It was getting a little hazy today, lol...almost couldn't see the Whites from Mansfield.

In all reality its not that uncomfortable, lol. The wife just left all the shades open and the living room took full sun all day long (floor to ceiling windows on south/east sides) with no air circulation...but yeah 70s with dews just tickling 60F shouldn't be that big of a deal, lol.

I guess we got spoiled with the dews in the 30s this week and dry air making even 80s feel nice with breeze.

Over-the-top heat pattern though, definitely a little warmer up this way even at elevation than down your way. BTV now tied with BDL for 90 degree days with 4 this season.

Looks like even near 1,200ft at MPV hit 86F while your way the IJD only hit 83F. IJD running 7-8F cooler right now than MVL/MPV last hour. We aren't dropping till that FROPA moves through with the increasing SWly jet ahead of it...its still near 70F at the picnic tables at 4kft.

I was chilled after getting out of the pool around 4. I am just loving this weather

I was chilled after getting out of the pool around 4. I am just loving this weather

Yeah I got home and went straight for reading next to the pool... will say the pool is still cool, not sure the temp though.  The cold nights last week (even upper 30s) definitely haven't let it get too high. 

I'm with you...perfect June.  Even saw it snowing 8 days ago, lol.  That still gets me, glad to check the "June snowflakes" off the bucket list...not graupel or pellets or freezing rain but legit flakes floating around.

Yeah, it looks like the image with the tent is Farr’s Field, just off to our southeast.  It’s where they have the weekly Waterbury Flea Market and host various events throughout the summer.  I didn’t get a chance to see what the tent was for this weekend, but that’s about a 10 minute walk from our place.

The tent is set up of the BBQfest this weekend:  http://greenmountainbbq.com/  

I'm shooting the fireworks Saturday night.  Highly recommend it.  

.08"  from  a shower last night.   For the first time our 800 foot well temporarily ran out of water.  Our static level is pretty high so we can water the lawn for about 2 hours and then let it recover.   After about an hour yesterday the sprinkler stopped working.  We let it sit overnight and its fine this AM but will have to start rationing irrigation water until ground water comes back up. 

Lawns around here are getting noticeably brown. Glad you guys scored in VT last night.  Fingers crossed for Thursday but Euro has been consistently south and after the GFS came north yesterday its trend is slowly south.  We will see what today brings.

.08"  from  a shower last night.   For the first time our 800 foot well temporarily ran out of water.  Our static level is pretty high so we can water the lawn for about 2 hours and then let it recover.   After about an hour yesterday the sprinkler stopped working.  We let it sit overnight and its fine this AM but will have to start rationing irrigation water until ground water comes back up. 

Lawns around here are getting noticeably brown. Glad you guys scored in VT last night.  Fingers crossed for Thursday but Euro has been consistently south and after the GFS came north yesterday its trend is slowly south.  We will see what today brings.

The scoring looks pretty isolated looking at CoCoRaHS...almost all locations in VT are between just .01 and .18"

My .63" is a big outlier. The next highest I see was .28" in Stowe.

You might want to consider running your well in shorter intervals. going for 2 hours is not giving the well enough recovery time. brings the water level pretty low, then you run the risk of burning out the pump. 

You might want to consider running your well in shorter intervals. going for 2 hours is not giving the well enough recovery time. brings the water level pretty low, then you run the risk of burning out the pump. 

Thanks.  My well guy measured the rate the pump, pumps and what my recovery rate is and how much I have below the static level.  I never paid too much attention but have to go find the sheet.  I know my well is 800 feet deep, costed a fortune to drill it about 10 years ago.  Wonder how fast ground table water at deep depths comes up during good rain events?  For instance does an inch of rain even make a difference so far below ground?  I need to Google this stuff and learn more.

Thanks.  My well guy measured the rate the pump, pumps and what my recovery rate is and how much I have below the static level.  I never paid too much attention but have to go find the sheet.  I know my well is 800 feet deep, costed a fortune to drill it about 10 years ago.  Wonder how fast ground table water at deep depths comes up during good rain events?  For instance does an inch of rain even make a difference so far below ground?  I need to Google this stuff and learn more.

When we built 3 years ago we went 500' and had to hydrofrac. We only get 3 gpm recharge. Horrible. I wish there was a way to measure water level in drilled well. I suppose you could rig something with a string and small weight and drop it down till it hits bottom, then measure where the string goes from wet to dry.

The scoring looks pretty isolated looking at CoCoRaHS...almost all locations in VT are between just .01 and .18"

My .63" is a big outlier. The next highest I see was .28" in Stowe.

Yeah I had only 0.25" in the stratus this morning...was less than I would've thought by the roar of that storm last night. 

Mansfield summit went 69 mph gust 108 as that line passed.

Surprisingly little damage found on the mountain despite lightning maps showing at least 6-12 strikes last night around the mountain and severe wind levels.  Only one tree down on the Toll Road and Trail Crew has been checking all on-mountain work roads with no problems. 

Saw that 108mph and all the sudden started thinking another micro-burst or something like the one that leveled 6 acres of glades a couple summers ago.

post-352-0-27174600-1466524090_thumb.jpg

Looking at the radar it happened right around 4:15-4:17 UTC when that bow went over Mansfield.

post-352-0-40761100-1466523808_thumb.gif

Be lucky if we get a trace. It never rains anymore.

Another miss overnight. We left home early last Wednesday for a family visit to SNJ - nice showers with some thunder there on Thursday, then CoC wx the rest of the time. Got home 10:15 PM last night and found the gauge disappointingly dry; last measurable precip was a whopping 0.03" on 6/12. We're living off the 2.49" that came June 5-8. The 20 days prior and 13 after would total a 33-day period with 0.17". Sandy River is well below the 25th percentile flow though at 181 cfs is 44 above the record low for the date. Unless Thursday's system moves north a lot, we should be near the record low flows by next week.

Another miss overnight. We left home early last Wednesday for a family visit to SNJ - nice showers with some thunder there on Thursday, then CoC wx the rest of the time. Got home 10:15 PM last night and found the gauge disappointingly dry; last measurable precip was a whopping 0.03" on 6/12. We're living off the 2.49" that came June 5-8. The 20 days prior and 13 after would total a 33-day period with 0.17". Sandy River is well below the 25th percentile flow though at 181 cfs is 44 above the record low for the date. Unless Thursday's system moves north a lot, we should be near the record low flows by next week.

And it's only June.

It's becoming clear that Thursday will be yet another of the endless misses to the south.  Euro had this solution all along but the American models came north yesterday and are now retreating south.  I would guess NAM will cave in this afternoon.  Hope that tomorrow's cool pool produces something, otherwise its dry for another week.  Later next week will be the next chance.

It's becoming clear that Thursday will be yet another of the endless misses to the south.  Euro had this solution all along but the American models came north yesterday and are now retreating south.  I would guess NAM will cave in this afternoon.  Hope that tomorrow's cool pool produces something, otherwise its dry for another week.  Later next week will be the next chance.

I should probably just forget trying to water lawn. Stupidly, Trugreen guy sprayed grub control and fertil today. Must not follow the weather real well. :whistle:

The tent is set up of the BBQfest this weekend:  http://greenmountainbbq.com/

I'm shooting the fireworks Saturday night.  Highly recommend it.

Excellent, my boys love BBQ, so that should be an easy sell.  We can usually hear the music from Farr’s Field events at our house, and it’s a quick walk to be able to view fireworks as well (as you probably know, the main Waterbury 4th of July fireworks are there now too), which are nice perks!

We are definitely seeing rain here this morning. Anyway it was  a nice solstice sunset on Sunset Ledge! The winds were quite gusty so this flight was difficult to keep the shots steady. also didn't want to venture too high above the launch point as a result. On a side note I saw my first ever bear in the wild crossing the road just before the trailhead. I couldn't get a shot before he disappeared:

13522813_10103394728289209_6667613653742

13497816_10103394415940159_2027912562535

13522689_10103394533858849_7163371197243

13497576_10103394415880279_5417636264439

13502528_10103394415875289_7100875581703

13483021_10103394416005029_7057332996327

13495629_10103394436898159_8420785445345

Archived