joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was a fail. Got to 3300 for a mangled flake and turned back with misery most and 60 mph gusts,

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Yeah I noticed the moisture decreased rapidly right after I was up there. While we were up there it stopped and didn't really get going again. Need 30-35 dbz probably on composite radar. Glad I got it on video though haha.

Where'd you go up? Bolton?

Yeah I noticed the moisture decreased rapidly right after I was up there. While we were up there it stopped and didn't really get going again. Need 30-35 dbz probably on composite radar. Glad I got it on video though haha.

Where'd you go up? Bolton?

Toll road and with an altimeter. Oh well I got my workout in.

Toll road and with an altimeter. Oh well I got my workout in.

Bummer. Looks like another good push of moisture moving in right now... fairly certain those yellow echoes are bright banding because they never get closer to the radar site haha.

post-352-0-80267700-1465774782_thumb.gif

Man where was this in winter.

Decent upslope precip event with 0.58" at the base of the mountain so far since midnight with moderate rain continuing.

JSpin probably would've gotten a foot of snow today along with the mountains, with 2-5" for me in town.

We’ve had 0.38” of liquid and counting with this event as of about 8:30 P.M., so for a foot of snow we’d need a ratio around 30 to 1 and that’s not uncommon at all.

We’ve had 0.38” of liquid and counting with this event as of about 8:30 P.M., so for a foot of snow we’d need a ratio around 30 to 1 and that’s not uncommon at all.

Par for the course I've got 0.21", so about half the liquid you have had. Would make sense with what we usually see...with 6" here compared to 12" at your Spine axis spot, haha. Where was this in the winter?

Par for the course I've got 0.21", so about half the liquid you have had. Would make sense with what we usually see...with 6" here compared to 12" at your Spine axis spot, haha. Where was this in the winter?

Every time I drive up to Burlington and there is precipitation, I try to pay attention through JSpin's hood. Last night, on the way up around 5:00, it was miserymist pretty much all the way to just past exit 10, where we started to encounter actual rain. That lasted until almost the beginning of Bolton Flats. I never really noticed this phenonomenon until we started talking about it here.

Every time I drive up to Burlington and there is precipitation, I try to pay attention through JSpin's hood. Last night, on the way up around 5:00, it was miserymist pretty much all the way to just past exit 10, where we started to encounter actual rain. That lasted until almost the beginning of Bolton Flats. I never really noticed this phenonomenon until we started talking about it here.

I love that someone as diligent as JSpin with observations just happened to move there by chance...otherwise I doubt we'd have any idea just how special that little three mile stretch is...even though it's low elevation it still reaps the benefits of the full Spine orographics. Like I've lived close enough to get some benefits and see the full effect at the mountain, but his house is in "the zone".

Even right now, most of us are seeing MiseryMist while the light rain band is still banked right against the mountains. His spot right at I-89 on the county line would continue to get actual raindrops while we go mist further east.

This would be a winter night where myself, you, klm, report a half inch to an inch of dust overnight on trace liquid and JSpin comes in with like 3.2" of feathers on 0.1" liquid to top off the storm.

The more fascinating thing is there's never a bad wind direction. Like right now blocked flow from the NW and he still gets into the precip band while it sharply ends to the east. Likewise east or southeast flow in a nor'easter upslopes into him and then can decrease just west of him.

post-352-0-65777800-1465785302_thumb.gif

Pics from this afternoon:

13422319_10103373493089719_8232685316045

13422465_10103373492954989_2354514990408

13403787_10103373493439019_8462606487562

Note: The first one is looking high on the cliffs in Smugglers Notch. Not sure what those white areas are but they caught my attention. I thought they could have been snow patches but I am not quite sure about that. 

Even right now, most of us are seeing MiseryMist while the light rain band is still banked right against the mountains. His spot right at I-89 on the county line would continue to get actual raindrops while we go mist further east.

Yeah, we’ve definitely got actual rain taking place; it’s not a downpour, just that steady upslope stuff that continually ticks away as the moisture runs into the mountains and can’t do anything but fall out of the clouds.  It looks like 0.54” for the storm thus far, which would certainly be a decent snow event in season.

Yeah, we’ve definitely got actual rain taking place; it’s not a downpour, just that steady upslope stuff that continually ticks away as the moisture runs into the mountains and can’t do anything but fall out of the clouds. It looks like 0.54” for the storm thus far, which would certainly be a decent snow event in season.

Looks like it's still going there.

Even some moderate echoes popping briefly at your spot where the interstate intersects with the county line. Just awesome micro-climate.

post-352-0-32821500-1465813743_thumb.gif

Even some moderate echoes popping briefly at your spot where the interstate intersects with the county line. Just awesome micro-climate.

attachicon.gifimage.gif

That's the JSpin difference right there.

No one else in the state is even close to the liquid that Spine axis got yesterday. Mountain base had 0.78" for this morning while I had just over a tenth, lol.

post-352-0-01043800-1465820905_thumb.gif

Yeah, we’ve definitely got actual rain taking place; it’s not a downpour, just that steady upslope stuff that continually ticks away as the moisture runs into the mountains and can’t do anything but fall out of the clouds.  It looks like 0.54” for the storm thus far, which would certainly be a decent snow event in season.

That's the JSpin difference right there.

No one else in the state is even close to the liquid that Spine axis got yesterday. Mountain base had 0.78" for this morning while I had just over a tenth, lol.

attachicon.gifimage.gif

I was going to post the other Waterbury observers, poor guys just live on the wrong side of town...ha. 

6/13/2016   6:00 AM   VT-WS-19   Waterbury 3.0 NW  0.57 NA NA VT Washington

6/13/2016   5:15 AM   VT-WS-18   Waterbury 3.3 NE  0.04 NA NA VT Washington  

6/13/2016   7:00 AM   VT-WS-3   Waterbury 4.6 NNE  0.09 NA NA VT Washington  

I was going to post the other Waterbury observers, poor guys just live on the wrong side of town...ha. 

6/13/2016   6:00 AM   VT-WS-19   Waterbury 3.0 NW  0.57 NA NA VT Washington

6/13/2016   5:15 AM   VT-WS-18   Waterbury 3.3 NE  0.04 NA NA VT Washington  

6/13/2016   7:00 AM   VT-WS-3   Waterbury 4.6 NNE  0.09 NA NA VT Washington  

heh...not bad for only about 5 miles apart ATCF.

Yeah, it was still rolling along this morning, although it’s pretty much shut off now.  This morning’s gauge reading puts the event at 0.71” thus far, which would definitely make for a decent shot of snow.  Even though it would likely be quite fluffy, it’s well past 0.50” of liquid and would likely mean that I’d have to get around to running the snow thrower through the driveway.

Where was this in the winter?

Indeed - on that note, this event has already delivered more liquid than we picked up in our largest snowstorm of the 2015-2016 winter season, which was 11.2” snow/0.59” L.E. - the web page for that storm is complete, so you can use the linked text to access it as needed.  Based on that event, this one would likely have surpassed a foot of snow barring poor ratios.

Anyway, it sounds like we might have one more impulse rotating through the area this afternoon:

FXUS61 KBTV 131122

AFDBTV

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

722 AM EDT MON JUN 13 2016

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

As of 722 AM EDT Monday...Deep vertically stacked low pressure over the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia region this morning continues to provide a moist maritime north/northwesterly flow across the North Country with abundant low clouds and rather cool temperatures ranging from the mid 40s to low 50s. This morning will start out mainly dry with a few areas of drizzle and fog along the Green Mountains and eastern Vermont, but by the afternoon shortwave energy currently upstream will shift into northern portions of the area along with another slug of enhanced low/mid level moisture. Forecast soundings actually show a little bit of elevated instability this afternoon, and this along with continued northwesterly flow should be enough to spark scattered to numerous showers, mainly across north- central and northeast Vermont.

heh...not bad for only about 5 miles apart ATCF.

And you go 3-5 miles the other way from him and it drops to a tenth again lol.

The micro-climates are crazy...mountain gets 18" and I get 3-6" a few miles away at home quite often. It's the difference from 125" a year and 310" a year.

Archived