joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This begs the question is June a summer month in NNE? ;)

Often, July is considered the summer month in NNE, especially when it comes to the mountains.  There are lots of those “one month of summer”, or “11 months of whatever” anecdotes out there that jokingly address that sort of thing.  Of course July is the hottest month of much of North America anyway, but I’ve always found that if we’re going to have a stretch of days that can actually get those river swimming holes up to fairly comfortable temperatures, it’s going to be in July.  The start of August can certainly blend in with that July period, but typically it lacks the potency (perhaps due to sun angle) to really get that creek warming done if there hasn’t already been some hot spell in July to get you there.

Fully agree!

Alex  are you going to buy a weather station or online webcam?  You are in such a great spot, I bet you would have tons of views.  Heck,  I'll throw in $100 just for the cause to help out.  I look at the Coles Pond info and the Lopstick Cabins in Pittsburg but I have not found a high quality cam in the Whites!   Good luck.  32F on June 11th, wow.

SLK got to 33F with clear and calm conditions, would be impressive to beat them on one of those nights. Though further west did have some WAA aloft overnight.

Coldest in the state was 36F. I find a properly sited 32F to be a little low. We definitely need him to get a VP2 w/ FARS. ;)

Been thinking about it! We actually have an old one that we use for security but the quality is terrible. I was thinking of getting a NestCam... But they are not outdoors so it might not be the best. Also they all seem to be password protected and not just stream to a website. Any suggestions?

Alex are you going to buy a weather station or online webcam? You are in such a great spot, I bet you would have tons of views. Heck, I'll throw in $100 just for the cause to help out. I look at the Coles Pond info and the Lopstick Cabins in Pittsburg but I have not found a high quality cam in the Whites! Good luck. 32F on June 11th, wow.

Seriously! 56 and misty here. This weekend has blown chunks.

I was looking around at sites that I could compare my LaCrosse's temperature to, and there really isn't anything. I don't think it's wildly inaccurate; as I said, Whitefield, at 950 ft and outside the upslope area, reported 38F. One factor to consider is the starting point - we were in Bartlett earlier in the day and it was broken clouds and 50's while here it was rainy and 42F from the upslope. It cleared up right after sunset to a beautiful starry sky, so the temperature really only had to drop 10 degrees to go to 32, which happens pretty quickly under good radiational conditions. So I'd say 32-34 is a good bet. I'm not the type of person who cares if I'm the coldest in New England or not, but I do like having accurate measurements. But also don't want to spend a fortune. :)

That said, I was wondering if I could/should set something up that's web accessible and connected to the reporting network. Bretton Woods really is an incredible microclimate and it's a pity that there's no good reporting site nearby. I have NO idea how to get started though. Any pointers???

I was thinking of getting a NestCam... But they are not outdoors so it might not be the best. Also they all seem to be password protected and not just stream to a website. Any suggestions?

Nest Cams don’t have to be password protected – I have mine up for monitoring snow accumulations at our site and people can freely access it.

21FEB15G.jpg

Actually Whitefield got down to 38F, so it's not unlikely that we got to 32F, being 600 ft higher and in a much better radiational spot. We usually average 5-8F colder

You average 5-8F lower than HIE?! They are like a radiational cooling benchmark spot, and I'll be honest, it's hard to believe going 5-8F lower than them. They are like the SLK of NH.

I always pictured you to be almost mid-slope type climate.

You average 5-8F lower than HIE?! They are like a radiational cooling benchmark spot, and I'll be honest, it's hard to believe going 5-8F lower than them. They are like the SLK of NH.

I always pictured you to be almost mid-slope type climate.

You need to come up sometime! :) yes it is always colder here than Whitefield (which happens to be our closest supermarket lol). Even if the valley floor is 1550ft or so, Bretton Woods is almost like a bowl surrounded by mountains, it gets incredibly cold at night as the cold pools down on the valley floor. But also with regards to yesterday in particular consider this - Whitefield was 57 or 58 for a high yesterday. We were 44. They had a lot of daytime heating to make up for. Now maybe we didn't go to 32 - maybe it was 34, but I strongly doubt that the weather station which is generally within 1-2 degrees of my car thermo was off by 6 degrees.

As I said, I don't really care to have the record. I have a snow fetish but I don't care about the cold and especially in June. My ideal would be a low of 25 and a high of 28 all winter long. :) But it does seem that few people realize how different a microclimate this small area around the ski resort has than even Carroll, which is technically our town center and only 5 miles or so away if that.

Didn't realize that! Is yours outside??? I thought they had to be mounted inside which is a problem for me when we rent the house (nobody wants to see a camera in the living room even if pointed outside).

Nest Cams don’t have to be password protected – I have mine up for monitoring snow accumulations at our site and people can freely access it.

21FEB15G.jpg

You need to come up sometime! :) yes it is always colder here than Whitefield (which happens to be our closest supermarket lol). Even if the valley floor is 1550ft or so, Bretton Woods is almost like a bowl surrounded by mountains, it gets incredibly cold at night as the cold pools down on the valley floor. But also with regards to yesterday in particular consider this - Whitefield was 57 or 58 for a high yesterday. We were 44. They had a lot of daytime heating to make up for. Now maybe we didn't go to 32 - maybe it was 34, but I strongly doubt that the weather station which is generally within 1-2 degrees of my car thermo was off by 6 degrees.

As I said, I don't really care to have the record. I have a snow fetish but I don't care about the cold and especially in June. My ideal would be a low of 25 and a high of 28 all winter long. :) But it does seem that few people realize how different a microclimate this small area around the ski resort has than even Carroll, which is technically our town center and only 5 miles or so away if that.

Yeah man that's sweet. Well aware of the local micro-climates, just that HIE ASOS is a well known ice-box in New England so it's hard to envision 5-8F colder. During the daytime most definitely, but at 6am would be impressive.

Like I posted earlier, there's a Wunderground station at 1,680ft probably next to you near the base of Bretton Woods in the condos/town-homes across the road. They follow your reported temps pretty well but had a low of 38.8F, similar to HIE.

I think that's why Dendrite was asking if it's shielded because if not, on radiational cooling nights it'll register colder than actual.

There's a guy in Bakersfield, CT (I think that's the town) that records "the coldest temps in the state", but it was found the thermometer was unshielded I think. He'd be like 15F when even "the cold spots" were in the 20s.

Again, no doubt it's a micro-climate, there's tons of odd pockets around the mountains with huge variations, just it may get away from you on clear nights if it's unshielded.

Yeah man that's sweet. Well aware of the local micro-climates, just that HIE ASOS is a well known ice-box in New England so it's hard to envision 5-8F colder. During the daytime most definitely, but at 6am would be impressive.

Like I posted earlier, there's a Wunderground station at 1,680ft probably next to you near the base of Bretton Woods in the condos/town-homes across the road. They follow your reported temps pretty well but had a low of 38.8F, similar to HIE.

I think that's why Dendrite was asking if it's shielded because if not, on radiational cooling nights it'll register colder than actual.

There's a guy in Bakersfield, CT (I think that's the town) that records "the coldest temps in the state", but it was found the thermometer was unshielded I think. He'd be like 15F when even "the cold spots" were in the 20s.

Again, no doubt it's a micro-climate, there's tons of odd pockets around the mountains with huge variations, just it may get away from you on clear nights if it's unshielded.

Interesting! I had no idea. What exactly does unshielded mean? This is one of those standard LaCrosse station and the sensor is mounted on the deck railing about 10ft above ground. That might be why it read so low!

Seriously! 56 and misty here. This weekend has blown chunks.

I was looking around at sites that I could compare my LaCrosse's temperature to, and there really isn't anything. I don't think it's wildly inaccurate; as I said, Whitefield, at 950 ft and outside the upslope area, reported 38F. One factor to consider is the starting point - we were in Bartlett earlier in the day and it was broken clouds and 50's while here it was rainy and 42F from the upslope. It cleared up right after sunset to a beautiful starry sky, so the temperature really only had to drop 10 degrees to go to 32, which happens pretty quickly under good radiational conditions. So I'd say 32-34 is a good bet. I'm not the type of person who cares if I'm the coldest in New England or not, but I do like having accurate measurements. But also don't want to spend a fortune. :)

That said, I was wondering if I could/should set something up that's web accessible and connected to the reporting network. Bretton Woods really is an incredible microclimate and it's a pity that there's no good reporting site nearby. I have NO idea how to get started though. Any pointers???

It doesn't always work that way. Your temp can level off or you can fog out pretty quickly. Pittsburg had upslope too. And there's no way you average 5-8F cooler than HIE...no way. What are you using for a sensor?

Interesting! I had no idea. What exactly does unshielded mean? This is one of those standard LaCrosse station and the sensor is mounted on the deck railing about 10ft above ground. That might be why it read so low!

These sensors need to be shielded from external radiation effects. That includes shortwave and longwave radiation hitting the sensor and longwave radiation loss as well. Shortwave is your solar radiation...longwave you can think of as your "thermal" infrared radiation. What the sensor is really measuring is the temperature of the sensor housing surface. What you need to do is shield the sensor so that the sensor surface best represents the true air temp at 2m. Most of us with Davis stations have some form of a fan aspirated radiation shield (FARS). This protects the sensor from radiation effects and draws air through the sensor chamber at a certain rate.

Without shielding a sensor can read way too high during the day in sun and too cool at night because the sensor itself is undergoing radiational cooling. That would be like measuring the 2m temp directly on the ground surface. Powderfreak brought up the Bakersfield guy and that's a good example.

1210SPARS.jpg

davis-weather-station-vantage-pro2-dayti

It doesn't always work that way. Your temp can level off or you can fog out pretty quickly. Pittsburg had upslope too. And there's no way you average 5-8F cooler than HIE...no way. What are you using for a sensor?

The one that came with it... It's a $40 LaCrosse station, I wouldn't expect much. That said, I can guarantee you Bretton Woods is colder than Whitefield. Now I don't know where the airport is so that may make a difference. But it's definitely colder than the town.

Doesn't really matter though I'm not here to start a fight nor do I really care that much who's colder and who isn't. I would like to setup some sort of weather station though, I may start a thread to get some help on that. I have no idea where to start!

Awesome thanks! What's a good model that's also wifi connected and can be hooked up to Wundreground or something like that?

These sensors need to be shielded from external radiation effects. That includes shortwave and longwave radiation hitting the sensor and longwave radiation loss as well. Shortwave is your solar radiation...longwave you can think of as your "thermal" infrared radiation. What the sensor is really measuring is the temperature of the sensor housing surface. What you need to do is shield the sensor so that the sensor surface best represents the true air temp at 2m. Most of us with Davis stations have some form of a fan aspirated radiation shield (FARS). This protects the sensor from radiation effects and draws air through the sensor chamber at a certain rate.

Without shielding a sensor can read way too high during the day in sun and too cool at night because the sensor itself is undergoing radiational cooling. That would be like measuring the 2m temp directly on the ground surface. Powderfreak brought up the Bakersfield guy and that's a good example.

1210SPARS.jpg

davis-weather-station-vantage-pro2-dayti

Alex go Davis

Alex,  I agree with Ginx,  go with a Davis station.  That's what I have.  Wireless into my computer and has software that can be uploaded to a webpage.  I have 2 webcams and don't love either.  I have a Netcam and a Nestcam.  The Nestcam has to shoot through a window.  The cams I like the best are from this company which is located in NH.  I don't know what the setup costs.  http://iptimelapse.com/    It fun to have the webcam for your own use too.  Many times I'm out and wondering what its doing back at home.

I use a Hikvision that I got from B&H Photo with iptimelapse on my page. The skycam is the Hikvision and the backyard cam is the Stardot SC. The Stardot is nice, but a little pricey.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/northfield-nh/cam.htm

I have a Davis VP2+ with all of the bells and whistles. I think Ryan at Scaled Instruments has the best deals right now. He has the standard VP2 with fan aspirated shield and new SHT31 sensor for $559 for registered members.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-6153-wireless-vantage-pro2-with-24-hour-fan-aspirated-radiation-shield/

You get what you pay for, but they're definitely still expensive for some people. You have a pretty cool site to share wx data with though.

Archived