joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was going to mention that as well. I'm wondering if there was any tree damage we haven't heard about yet.

Now you have to use MiseryMist in an AFD for Eek...we got a Picnic Table mention from Taber this morning.

Meanwhile...thermal profiles continue to cool with progged 850mb temps near 1c by 00z thursday supporting snow levels above summit level...but cold air advection continues overnight with 850mb temps near -1c by 06z...and near -3c by 12z thursday. Nam bufkit sounding at jay peak shows freezing levels around 3500 feet by 03z...falling to 2000 feet by 12z thursday...supporting some wet snow flakes. thinking the best chance of a dusting to maybe an inch or so will be above 3500 feet across the dacks and northern greens...so the picnic table near the summit of mt mansfield should be white on thursday morning.

Now you have to use MiseryMist in an AFD for Eek...we got a Picnic Table mention from Taber this morning.

Meanwhile...thermal profiles continue to cool with progged 850mb temps near 1c by 00z thursday supporting snow levels above summit level...but cold air advection continues overnight with 850mb temps near -1c by 06z...and near -3c by 12z thursday. Nam bufkit sounding at jay peak shows freezing levels around 3500 feet by 03z...falling to 2000 feet by 12z thursday...supporting some wet snow flakes. thinking the best chance of a dusting to maybe an inch or so will be above 3500 feet across the dacks and northern greens...so the picnic table near the summit of mt mansfield should be white on thursday morning.

I mean that shouldn't be too hard to squeeze in there considering the train of upper lows the models are spitting out recently.

Really great upslope pattern setting up Wed-Friday.

Well, I can tell you that upslope mode already seems to be in place – at the house it was steady rain with those small upslope-style droplets, and here in Burlington it’s partly cloudy and the sun is out.  Feels just like a classic Northern Greens upslope day that gets the mountain communities all those extra inches of precipitation.

I am going to hike to the picnic tables early tomorrow morning. I was wondering if anyone would have a an issue there with me doing that. I want to get some June snow shots. Obviously not the drone (weather wouldn't allow it anyway). Also what is the best route on the ski trails to do that?

I am going to hike to the picnic tables early tomorrow morning. I was wondering if anyone would have a an issue there with me doing that. I want to get some June snow shots. Obviously not the drone (weather wouldn't allow it anyway). Also what is the best route on the ski trails to do that?

No one cares, you are welcome to do as you please.

I'm concerned with freezing rain instead of snow as the snow growth zone is wayyyy up there and the orographic lift is fairly low. Might be hard to get snowflakes to develop at -2C to -4C.

I'll be up top by 7:30am and can let you know if that's early enough.

Some high elevation ski/mountain cams to keep an eye on:

Killington, Glades at 4,000'

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/northridge.html

Wildcat at 4,000:

https://www.mountwashington.org/premium-content/webcam-videos/ravines.aspx

Whiteface Summit 4,800

http://wildcenter.org/cams/live-whiteface-summit-cam/

No one cares, you are welcome to do as you please.

I'm concerned with freezing rain instead of snow as the snow growth zone is wayyyy up there and the orographic lift is fairly low. Might be hard to get snowflakes to develop at -2C to -4C.

I'll be up top by 7:30am and can let you know if that's early enough.

Very cool and yeah even freezing rain would be interesting.

I've decided not to like storms anymore.

This is more damage than I can recover from. My poor exotic golden shrimp plant. :(

How big was the hail? It was a little tough to tell from the vid.

I enjoyed my peas. It knocked all of the aphids off my kale.

How big was the hail? It was a little tough to tell from the vid.

I enjoyed my peas. It knocked all of the aphids off my kale.

It was probably 70% peas, 20% nickles, 10% quarters. There was still a pile of it on the corner of my deck when I last checked at 10:30pm.

Just finished leaf blowing the pine needles and leaf shreds off the driveway.  New leaf blower made quick work of it.

Up to 46 in Pittsburg.

The meso models have held steady - it is going to snow tonight in the Greens down to at least 3000ft.

CRAZY.

Quickly emailing with some NWS this morning the main concern is forming snowflakes and not super-cooled water droplets due to the relatively warm zone of lift (-1C to -5C).

But it's definitely going to precipitate. And it'll be cold.

Quickly emailing with some NWS this morning the main concern is forming snowflakes and not super-cooled water droplets due to the relatively warm zone of lift (-1C to -5C).

But it's definitely going to precipitate. And it'll be cold.

That warm nose does argue for a bit of glaze instead of snow, but even that would be impressive for June.

That warm nose does argue for a bit of glaze instead of snow, but even that would be impressive for June.

I can't even put it into words that well but I've seen it enough to know that these marginal isothermal columns up to 6,000ft working on upslope flow can struggle to form flakes. I've seen it in May and September...the upslope freezing drizzle falling in sheets up there. Very small droplets but it adds up and soaks through quickly. Ice accums on the evergreens and grass blades.

I can't even put it into words that well but I've seen it enough to know that these marginal isothermal columns up to 6,000ft working on upslope flow can struggle to form flakes. I've seen it in May and September...the upslope freezing drizzle falling in sheets up there. Very small droplets but it adds up and soaks through quickly.

I think we'd be better off if the mid slope temps were more like -6 or so, but the NAM is currently only about -4.

A nice timber trouncer on the morning of June 9th would be great.

Archived