joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was only -11...overall not too bad for a 3-4 SD airmass.

This morning it's 46F and the average low is 48F.

I get what you mean though ;).

departures don't tell the whole story. Yeah, my low of 48F is nbd value wise, but the wind is still gusting to 25mph+ with it.

departures don't tell the whole story. Yeah, my low of 48F is nbd value wise, but the wind is still gusting to 25mph+ with it.

Yeah I'm just playing devils advocate. We are bundled up on the mountain and it feels like it's almost time to fire up the snow guns in the fall, haha.

And weakened trees that can no longer fight the wind once their "sails" are fully unfurled. First big wind after full leaf-out always takes down a few.

Great point, hadn't thought about it like that.

This morning we found scattered tree damage on the Toll Road. Probably for the exact reason you stated...first 50+ winds after leaf out.

post-352-0-21880800-1465564002_thumb.jpe

****ing ipad

Wx has turned your world upside down.  :)

Glad we got the rain this week.  GFS has dropped next week's qpf for AUG from over 2" a couple days back, to 1/4" on today's 12z.  Only 0.3" thru day 11 and half that for RUM.  Garden should be okay with little/no rain for that stretch, unless we were to get big heat.

The system is anomalously deep for this
time of year so we should experience cooler than normal temps
Sunday along with Wind gusts up to 40 mph. Given the trees are
fully leafed out, scattered power outages are once again likely,
quite possibly like this past Thursday.

:cry:

I may have to throw a hissy fit complete with foot stomping, door slamming, and flailing arms.

Fun wildlife day here this evening. Are deer and turkey attracted to chickens?

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

Don't know the answer to this but bears sure are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun day here too.  Saw a baby moose, a bear, deer and turkeys.  Then about an hour ago 2 chipmunks were playing in front of my house on the dirt road.  A crow swoops down and grabs one and starts pecking away at it.  Grabs it and flies away.  Never have seen that. 

Thanks. Very excited to be here. Can't wait for next winter!

It just cleared out, and the temperature is plummeting. Down to 44 already. I know I took a risk planting my tomatoes... Hopefully they make it.

Yeah should definitely be fun to have your obs in a winter-time upslope event.  Every time I look at the topomap that is the default on the Wunderground temps, I think you must be in an underrated upslope zone.

The wall of the Whites faces near perfect for NW cyclonic flow... but I have to imagine if you had a "Champlain Valley" type feature upstream of you in the Pittsburg area you'd have more prolific upslope than the Greens.   That axis of terrain is perfect for NW flow but there is some 2,000-3,000ft terrain upstream that must rob a little moisture.

Here are the two main axis I can see for northwesterly upslope...hopefully your obs can fill in that gap we've had in northern NH.

And speaking of temps, I'm only down to 51F here and obs in town range from 49-52F.  The 41F at Coles Pond/Walden, VT (2,000ft) stands out like a sore thumb, lol.

post-352-0-07391800-1465609152_thumb.png

Definitely can't imagine we come close to Mansfield, but certainly a great spot to live in if you like snow. Only thing that kills us here from my limited past experience is retention, which is not nearly as good as Bartlett on Northeast. But so many times I've watched a wall of snow stop at the notch when I was in Bartlett, I couldn't take it anymore. :). This week was a good example - broken clouds on either side of the notches and pouring rain here.

Down to 42F now. I'm on the valley floor at 1550ft, if radiates like crazy

Yeah should definitely be fun to have your obs in a winter-time upslope event. Every time I look at the topomap that is the default on the Wunderground temps, I think you must be in an underrated upslope zone.

The wall of the Whites faces near perfect for NW cyclonic flow... but I have to imagine if you had a "Champlain Valley" type feature upstream of you in the Pittsburg area you'd have more prolific upslope than the Greens. That axis of terrain is perfect for NW flow but there is some 2,000-3,000ft terrain upstream that must rob a little moisture.

Here are the two main axis I can see for northwesterly upslope...hopefully your obs can fill in that gap we've had in northern NH.

And speaking of temps, I'm only down to 51F here and obs in town range from 49-52F. The 41F at Coles Pond/Walden, VT (2,000ft) stands out like a sore thumb, lol.

June_10_temps.png

Archived